Vennanthur or Vennandur is a town panchayat in Vennandur block in Rasipuram taluk of Namakkal district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The town panchayat office and market place are located in the heart of Vennanthur. The major occupations of the people are Tapioca Sago food manufacturing, textile weaving and agriculture.
Aerial view of Vennanthur from Alavaimalai
|Founded by||Vennanthur people|
|• Type||Town panchayat Council|
|• Body||Vennanthur Town panchayat|
|• Chief Minister||Edappadi K. Palanisamy|
|• Namakkal M.P.||A.K.P.CHINRAJ|
|• Rasipuram M.L.A||V. Saroja|
|• Town Panchayat Chairman||NIL|
|• Official||Tamil (தமிழ்)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Vennanthur is located at 11.5206° N, 78.0872°E. It has an average elevation of 218 metres (726 ft). Vennandur lake is located west of the town. Vennandur is close to the Alavaimalai Hills, which are part of the Eastern Ghats. The closest river is the Thirumanimutharu River, which rises on Mount Yercaud. Namakkal, the district capital, is located around 39 km from Vennanthur. Chennai, the state capital, is located around 370 km from Vennanthur.
There are 24 villages in the panchayat union:
- No 3 Komarapalayam
- O Sowthapuram
- R Pudupalayam
The name Vennanthur derives from Vennainallur, which some Tamil scholars say is because the vennai kodis was grown here. Another possibility is for the white conch that was formerly widespread on the banks of the river: in Tamil white is vellai-ven (வெள்ளை), conch is sangu-nanthu (சங்கு), and village is oor (ஊர்) yielding Vennandur (வெண்ணந்தூர்). During the 13th century Vennanthur was the forest and border of the Chola Empire
Vennanthur is divided into 15 wards, for which elections are held every 5 years. The Vennanthur Town Panchayat had a population of 14,568 as of the 2011 census, of which 7,427 are males and 7,141 are females, a female sex ratio of 961 against the Tamil Nadu state average of 996. The population of children aged 0–6 was 1328, which was 9.12% of the total population; the child sex ratio was around 884 compared to the state average of 943. The literacy rate was 73.44%, lower than the state average of 80.09%: male literacy was around 81.64% and female literacy 64.99%. Vennanthur Town Panchayat had total administration over 3,844 houses, to which it supplies basic amenities like water and sewerage.
The language spoken by the majority of the population of Vennanthur is Tamil. As of 2011[update] Schedule Caste (SC) constituted 7.15% while Schedule Tribe (ST) were 0.08% of the total population in Vennanthur. Of the total population, 8,082 were engaged in work or business activity. Of these 4,770 were males while 3,312 were females. Of the total 8082 working population, 92.54% were engaged in Main Work while 7.46% of total workers were engaged in Marginal Work. Vennanthur's and surrounding is completely based on Weaving Industry. In the Political front, AIADMK hold a good position amongst other political parties. Currently, SNKP Selvam is holding the position of Chairman (AIADMK) elected by the people of Vennanthur. Despite postponing the local body election in Tamil Nadu, he is still acting as a Chairman living the values of a people leader, serving the town panchayat.
Festivals and eventsEdit
- Tamil Puthandu (Tamil New Year)
- Chithra Pournami
- Good Friday
- Hanuman Jayanthi
- May Thinam (May Day)
- Aadi Pandigai (Aadi 1st day)
- Aadi 18 (Aadi 18th day)
- Suthandira Thinam (Independence Day)
- Marriyamman Pandigai
- Muniyappan Pandigai
- Uugathi (Telungu New year)
- Vinayakar Chathurthi
- Gandhi Jayanthi
- Ayutha Poojai & Sarasvathi Poojai
- Sooran Sandai (Kandha Sasti)
- Allavai malai murugan valipadu
- Ankila Puthandu (English New Year)
- Poogi, Thai Pongal, Maddu Pongal & Kannum Pongal
- Kudiyarasu Thinam (Republic Day)
- Thai Poosam
- Panguni Uthiram
Hospitals and clinicsEdit
- Government hospital
- Dr. C.Kavipriya MBBS clinic
- Dr.C. Silambarasi M.B.B.S M.D DMCH
Arokiya Multi Speciality Hospital
- Dr. Karunakaran's Hospital
- Dr. Senthilkumar's Pediatrics and Gynaecology Hospital
- Dr. Thangadurai Ortho Hospital
- Government Union Primary Schools 1 Vennanthur
- Government Union Primary Schools 2 Vennanthur
Kalaimagal matriculation school,palanthinipatty
- Government Boys Higher Secondary School Vennandur
- Government Girls Higher Secondary School Vennanthur
- Thillaiyadi Valliammai Girls Secondary School (Government) Vennanthur
- Sri Vengateswaraa Polytechnic College Vennanthur
- Sri Vengateswaraa Matriculation Higher Secondary school Vennanthur
Vennanthur has the following temples:
- Shiva Temple
- Chinna Mariamman Temple Vennandur
- Selva Marriyamman Temple
- Boopathi Marriyamman Temple Vennandur
- Sri Muthukumara Samy Temple, Vennandur
- Sri Iynthu Muniyappan Temple
- Sri Vamana Narayanan Swamy Temple
- Alavaimalai Subrayar Murugan Temple in Alavaimalai (4 km distance)
- Kalipatti Kandhasami temple (8 km distance)
- JMHA Church Of Peace (1 km distance)
Landmarks and placesEdit
- Sengunthar Mudaliar kalyana mandapam
- Sullukku pillayar kalyana mandapam
- Eshwaran temple kalyana madapam
- Boopathi Marriyamman Sengunthar kalayana mandapam
Leaders Statues in VennandurEdit
Both are tcommercial places and also act as bus stops for all government, private and institutions buses.
The major occupations of the people are textile weaving and agriculture. Vennanthur is known for textile fabrication using various kinds of looms (Hand loom, Power loom, Auto loom & Air loom); Vennandur block is the origin of many Indian textiles for export, including towels, screen cloths and blankets. Clothing companies with facilities in Vennanthur include SNKP Textiles, Sri Ragaventraa Tex, S. B. Madeshwaran Tex, SAM Tex, Raju Tex Ponnuvel Tex, Sri Ramajayam Tex. There are also some engineering companies, such as Venvel.
Cricket is popular with Vennanthur youths. During local festivals like Marriyamman Pandikai and Muniyappan Pandikai, there are sports programs including traditional sports such as the Valuku Maram Yeruthal Competition.
Vennanthur is located on the MDR46 Major District Road (Attaiyampatti - Masakkalipatti Road)
- TNSTC Government bus service:
- Private bus service:
- Mini bus services:
- Sri Valli buses connect Vennandur with villages in Vennandur block.
The nearest railway station to Vennandur is Mallur Railway Station in Mallur, 7.7 km away. Rasipuram railway station is 15 km away, Salem Junction railway station is 24 km away and Virapandy road railway station, Ariyanur, is 18 km away.
The famous food of this town is mochakotta kolambu. It's a veg main course made with pumpkin, rajma, brinjal etc. It's especially made during the Tamil month 'karthigai', where they cook and in Alavai hills nearby in groups. It is also known for its khara kuli panaiyaram.
Vennanthur is within the Namakkal Lok Sabha constituency and the Rasipuram Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly constituency. AIADMK and DMK are major political parties in Vennandur. A.K.P.CHINRAJ (DMK) serves as M.P. for Namakkal and V. Saroja (AIADMK) serves as M.L.A. for Rasipuram.
- panchayat, directorate of town. "Vennandur Town Panchayat-". townpanchayat.in.
- "Vennandur union 2011" (PDF).
- "Vennandur Town Panchayat".
- "VNR TP".
- "Thirumanimutharu River".
- "Vennandur Union".
- "census 2011".
- "SVPC Vennanthur".
- "Temples in Vennandur".
- "Sri Boopathi Marriyamman Temple".
- "Sri Muthukumarasamy Temple".
- "Muniyappan Temple".
- "Alavaimalai Subrayar Murugan Temple".
- "Marriage Hall".