Vasay Chaudhry (Urdu: واسع چوہدری; born on 12 November 1981) is a Pakistani screenwriter, actor, director, producer, host, and comedian. He is best known for writing sitcoms and comedy-dramas for Pakistani televisions. He is also known for writing films. He wrote Main Hoon Shahid Afridi and Jawani Phir Nahi Ani. While Mai Hoon Shahid Afridi was an average success, Jawani phir Nahe ani went on to become the highest grossing film of Pakistan cinema and broke all the previous Box office records while earning more than 490 million at the box office. He also wrote Jawani Phir Nahi Ani 2, which was released on 2018 Eid al-Adha and broke the all time biggest box office grosses record.It also went on to become the First Pakistani film to make 700 Million rupees worldwide. Chaudhry is also known for hosting the comedy show, Mazaaq Raat, on Dunya News since 2015. His name is sometimes misspelled as Wasay, Wassay, Wesay or Vassay in print and electronic media.
|Alma mater||National College of Arts|
|Occupation||Actor, writer, humorist, host|
Chaudhry was born on 12 November 1981 and lives in Lahore. He completed his A-levels studies from Lahore College of Arts and Sciences. Chaudhry enrolled himself at Government College University (Lahore) for a bachelor's degree but ended up graduating from University of Punjab, Lahore. Later, he began an MBA at Lahore School of Economics but dropped the course after the first semester. He later earned an MMA (Master's in Multimedia Arts) degree at National College of Arts. He married Mahera Shah in 2008 and the couple have three daughters together.
Chaudhry started his career in 1998 when he did a theatre play called Desperado. He recalls, "I had just a 45-second role in it! So I started off with a role – that calling it a cameo would be a disgrace! I began to pursue theatre seriously when I went to LACAS for my A-levels where I met Zain Ahmed (actress/director Samina Ahmad's son) and acted and assisted him on his play, Blood wedding". Afterwards, he went on to become head of the Dramatics Club in LACAS and directed an old Urdu play called Bari Dair Meherban Aatay Aatay for the Rafi Peer Theatre International Theatre Festival.
Chaudhry's first writing venture for television was a sitcom called Jutt and Bond in 2001, starring Fawad Khan in lead role along with Ahmad Ali Butt and Farah Tufail. It was television adaptation of his theatre play of the same name performed in 2000. Chaudhry approached Younis Butt to write the series; when he refused, Chaudhry wrote the show himself. He recollected the memories of Jutt and Bond while speaking to a newspaper "So, then I sat down to make the decision and thought about all the terrible dramas I have seen in my life. I thought about how bad could my writing really is, decided to give it a shot and wrote Jutt and Bond."
In 2010, after establishing himself in 25-minute sitcom business, he wrote his first long TV serial Dolly ki Ayegi Baraat, which turned out to be a huge commercial and critical hit. He continued writing long TV serials after success of Dolly. Chaudhry in an interview stated that he has started enjoying writing for film and TV more than sitcoms. Chaudhry's most famous TV plays as a writer include Timmy G, Dolly Ki Ayegi Baraat, Takkay Ki Ayegi Baraat, Inspector Khojee, Kash Tu Mera Baap Na Hota, Yeh Shaadi Nahi Ho Sakti, telefilm Armaan and Jackson Heights (drama). He terms his Eid Special play Kash Tu Mera Baap Na Hota which aired on Geo TV, 2011, as one of his personal favourite work along with Inspector Khojee and Jackson Heights. In cinematic work, he debuted with the script and screenplay writing for Main Hoon Shahid Afridi; it was declared a commercial hit of Pakistani cinema, 2013, and garnered accolades from critics and audience alike.
Chaudhry has been seen in TV commercials from time to time, prominent ones include MCB ad and Zong. Chaudhry wrote in the Herald (Pakistan) as a film reviewer and critic for a brief period, during 2002–03. Since then he has occasionally contributed towards writing on Pakistani media and cinema in Pakistan's leading newspapers like Pakistan Today, The Express Tribune and The News.
Chaudhry in one interview explained the reason for writing as "only to bring the people's attention to the various character types that exist amidst us. It is important to be a responsible role model but for most people, it is easier to pick ideas off the internet and ape them."[failed verification]
Chaudhry believes in self-censorship but insists "My target has always been to entertain people; I am not into "artistic stuff" as far as my work is concerned, at least not now. Even when I was doing theatre, I wasn't into it. I suppose it's because I am influenced by entertainment films of the 80s and 90s". He regards Anwar Maqsood and Mushtaq Ahmad Yusufi as his gurus in comedy writing and laments the lack of fresh ideas and wit in majority of current comedies. Being a strong believer in originality he was quoted saying "It's mostly foreign concepts that we are picking up and then trying to localize and obviously failing. We need to learn to improvise rather than copy ideas."[failed verification]
Chaudhry has been praised in the Pakistani press as a writer uniquely in touch and comfortable with Punjabi culture. He is a firm believer of "self censorship" and calls himself old school when it comes to the views regarding a writer's moral responsibility towards his audiences. He credits this to his training in a pre-cable TV world and asserts that he "refrains from [writing] obnoxious jokes."[failed verification]
Chaudhry has contributed as a writer in various TV shows:
|2001||Jutt and Bond||Indus TV, Channel G||Sitcom, 102 Episodes|
|2001||Motor Chalay Pum Pum||Pakistan Television Corporation||Sitcom, contributed writing|
|2002||Yaraana Purana||Sitcom, contributed writing|
|2004||Jallywood||Sitcom, 7 episodes|
|2005–8||Rubber Band (TV Series)||ARY Digital||Sitcom, 176 Episodes|
|2006–7||Urban Desi||Aaj TV||Sitcom, Co-writing with Ali Kazmi, 65 Episodes|
|2006||Inspector Khojee||Pakistan Television Corporation||Sitcom, 52 Episodes|
|2009||Yes Sir||A-Plus Entertainment||13 Episodes|
|2010–12||Timmy G||ARY Digital||Sitcom, 116 Episodes|
|2011||Kash Tu Mera Baap Na Hota||Geo TV||Eid special long play|
|2010||Dolly Ki Ayegi Baraat||Geo TV||Telenovela 17 Episodes, Chaudhry's First long TV series|
|2011||Takkay Ki Ayegi Baraat||Geo TV||Telenovela 16 Episodes|
|2012||Annie Ki Ayegi Baraat||Geo TV||Telenovela 19 Episodes|
|2013||Yeh Shaadi Nahi Ho Sakti||ARY Digital||Telenovela 27 Episodes|
|2013||Armaan||Geo TV, PTV||Telefilm|
|2013||Abhi Toh Mein Jawaan hoon||Geo TV, PTV||Telefilm|
|2014–15||Jackson Heights||Urdu 1||Telenovela|
|2014||Bad Times||A-Plus Entertainment|
|2013–16||Hum Awards||Hum TV||Script writing and hosting of the show|
|2012||Dolly ki Aa Gai Baraat||Geo TV||Telefilm|
|2016||ARY Film Awards||ARY Digital||Script writing and hosting of the show|
|2004||Cafe Chill||Geo TV|
|2005||Tamasha Ghar (Hari Bhari)||PTV|
|2005–2008||Rubber Band (TV Series)||Ali Toor||ARY Digital|
|2006–07||Urban Desi||AAJ TV|
|2009||Yaasu Panju Har||ARY Digital|
|2010||Na jaane kyun||Haider||PTV|
|2011||Kash Tu Mera Baap Na Hota||Ifran||Geo TV|
|2012||Annie Ki Ayegi Baraat||Bobby D||Geo TV|
|2009–13||Timmy G||Timmy G||ARY Digital|
|2013||Armaan||Danny||PTV & Geo TV|
|2014||Kahani Raima Aur Manahil Ki||Wahaj||Hum TV|
|2014||Pyarey Afzal||Dr. Sibtain||ARY Digital|
|2015||Ishq for Sale||Shehenshah||Hum TV|
|2016||Mann Mayal||Ifti||Hum TV|
|2019||Love u Jatta||Film|
|2021||Absolutely Knot||Haseen Khalid||Telefilm|
|2005–2006||Bekaar Singh Dey Naal||Channel G|
|2013–2015||Hum Awards||HUM TV|||
|2015–present||Mazaaq Raat||Dunya TV||Replaced Noman Ijaz|
|2016||Lux Style Awards||Geo TV||Chaudhry wrote and hosted a segment with Fawad Khan and Ahmad Ali Butt|
|2021–present||Ghabrana Mana Hai||ARY|
|2009||Yes Sir||Adaptation of the British showYes Prime Minister|
- 2011: The Morning Show with Huma Amir Shah as himself
- 2014: Mehman Qadardan as himself
- 2014: Cocktail Dawn News as himself
- 2014: Mazaaq Raat as himself
- 2015: Tonite with HSY as himself
- 2015: Good Morning Pakistan (Team Jawani Phir Nahi Ani-Eid Special) as himself
- 2015: Jeeto Pakistan (Team Jawani Phir Nahi Ani Special) as himself
- 2016: Salam Zindagi with Faysal Qureshi as himself
- 2016: Star Iftar with Sarmad Khoosat as himself
- 2020: Say it all with iffat omer
|Film are currently on Cinema|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2013||Main Hoon Shahid Afridi||–||Yes||No|||
|2015||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||Sheikh||Yes||Yes||(Film debut as an actor)|||
|2018||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani 2||Yes||Yes|||
|2000||Jutt and Bond|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2005||1st Indus Drama Awards||Best Sitcom Drama Writer||Nominated|
|2011||Dolly Ki Ayegi Baraat||writer||10th Lux Style Awards||Best Writer||Nominated|||
|2013||Armaan||actor||Tarang Housefull Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Won|||
|2014||Main Hoon Shahid Afridi||writer||1st ARY Film Awards||Best Dialogue Writer Award||Won|||
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||writer||2nd ARY Film Awards||Best Dialogue Writer Award||Won|||
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||writer||2nd ARY Film Awards||Best Screenplay Writer Award||Won|||
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||writer||2nd ARY Film Awards||Best Story Award||Won|||
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||actor||2nd ARY Film Awards||Best Actor in a Supporting Role Award||Nominated|||
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||actor||2nd ARY Film Awards||Best Star Debut||Nominated|||
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||actor||Lux Style Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|||
- Desk, Web (28 October 2015). "Vasay Chaudhry becomes new host of 'Mazaaq Raat'". The News Tribe.
- "The Man with the Golden Pen". magtheweekly.com.
- "Vasay Chaudhry Se Sawal ~ You Ask He Answers". Desi Rants N Raves. 28 January 2015.
- "Vasay Chaudhry – more than just a 25-minute sitcom writer". The Express Tribune. 4 April 2014.
- "Fawad Khan, the Pakistani Prince Charming". NDTV.
- Khan, Sher (4 April 2014). "Vasay Chaudhry – more than just a 25-minute sitcom writer". The Express Tribune.
- Maila, Maila. "Why 'Kis Ki Ayegi Baraat' Series is a Must Watch". Blush.com.pk. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Jawaid, Mohammad Kamran. "Movie Review: Main Hoon Shahid Afridi". Dawn. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Main Hoon Shahid Afridi is box office hit! – The Express Tribune". 5 October 2013.
- Mughal, Danish (28 April 2014). "Complete Winners List of First ARY Films Awards -".
- Herald, Herald. "Year in review: Theatre Talk". dawn. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Chaudhry, Vasay (29 December 2015). "The year that saw Pakistani cinema surge ahead – The Express Tribune".
- "F(ilm): 10 films Vasay Chaudhry wants everyone to watch – The Express Tribune". 24 July 2016.
- "Shehr, NOS, The News International". archive.is. Archived from the original on 14 October 2014.
- Moghees, Rabia; Moghal, Usman (9 August 2013). "A desi humourist Vasay Chaudhry's brand of humor may be Lahori". Jang.
- Salim, Hani Taha (9 July 2009). "InStep Q&A". InStep. Lahore, Pakistan.
- "Daily Jang Urdu News | Pakistan News | Latest News – Breaking News". jang.com.pk. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- Ansari, Hassan. "Fawad Khan: From being shy to flying high". Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Jawad Bashir". awaztoday.pk.
- "Jawad Bashir". pakistannewshd.com.
- "Instep Magazine | Fashion | Beauty | Entertainment | The News on Sunday". The News International.
- "Vasay Chaudhry Family's Charm – The 25 Minutes Sitcom Guy". magmedianews.com.
- Khan, Sher. "Vasay Chaudhry – more than just a 25-minute sitcom writer". Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Siddiqui, Maleeha Hamid (2 February 2013). "Television sequels – the next big trend?".
- ""Yeh Shadi Nahi Ho sakti" to go on-air soon!". 7 July 2013.
- Alavi and Kamal. "Awardseason Coming soon: The Tarang Housefull Awards". Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Humayun Saeed back in action after road accident in Bangkok – The Express Tribune". 5 November 2014.
- siddique, Sadaf. "Review: 'Jackson Heights' shines as an immigrant's take on love and loss". Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Khan, Ujala Ali. "Hum TV Awards brings Pakistani TV stars to Dubai". Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- raj, adeel. "Dolly Ki Aagayi Baraat ~ Telefilm ~ Geo TV". Tune.pk.
- "Major Male Supporting Artists". 13 September 2014.
- "Tamasha Ghar ep 1 Hari Bhari part 1 f 4". 24 August 2010.
- "Vasay Chaudhry Family's Charm – The 25 Minutes Sitcom Guy". magmedianews.com.
- "ARY Sitcom Rubber Band ep 1(part 2)". 11 July 2009.
- "Watch Yassu Panju Haar by ARY Digital on Vidpk".
- ahmed, waqas (2 June 2014). "Ptv Drama Na Jane Kyun 1/58". Tune.pk.
- "Kash Mein Tera Baap Na Hota Eid Special by Geo Entertainment Latest | Pakistani Dramas Online in HD". 7 November 2011.
- "The Newsblog – Who is Getting Married This Time..?". The News International.
- "Vasay Chaudhry | DRAMA PAKISTANI". www.dramapakistani.net.
- Kiyani, Yasser Bilal (22 May 2013). "Pakistani Cinema: Armaan (Tarang Housefull Telefilm) – Watch Online". Pakistani Cinema.
- "Chocolate hero's Armaan has big plans for small screen – The Express Tribune". 8 March 2013.
- Shaikh, Rizwan (1 March 2014). "Kahani Raima Aur Manahil Ki Hum TV Drama Serial (Synopsis and Pictures)".
- "Kahani Raima Aur Manahil Ki Episode 1 HUM TV Drama". 25 February 2014.
- Alavi, Omair (21 August 2016). ""The writer is the last person anyone acknowledges" – Vasay Chaudhry".
- "Pyarey Afzal- Episode 20 Review | DRAMA PAKISTANI". www.dramapakistani.net.
- "Ishq For Sale Eid Special Telefilm Full on Hum Tv". 18 July 2015.
- Desk, Instep. "Mann Mayal blows hot and cold". The News International.
- "Winners of the 3rd Hum Awards 2015 | DESIblitz". www.desiblitz.com.
- "Dailytimes | 4th Servis Hum Awards 2016 : A night to remember – honouring our film and TV stars". Daily Times. Pakistan.
- Quraishi, Faisal (19 April 2015). "Awards fever: Drama, dancing and Dubai!".
- "Lux Style Awards impress viewers". The News International.
- "Best of The Morning Show with Huma Amir Shah: Vasay Chaudhry and Kiran Chaudhry". 3 November 2011.
- "Tonite With HSY – Vasay Chaudhry & Hadiqa Kiani on Hum Sitaray in High Quality 4th April 2015". 4 April 2015.
- Raat, Mazaq. "mazaq raat". Duniyanews. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Tonite With HSY – Vasay Chaudhry & Hadiqa Kiani on Hum Sitaray". 4 April 2015. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Zakariya, Sabahat (30 August 2013). "Main Hoon Shahid Afridi".
- "Main Hoon Shahid Afridi, a movie that will inspire – The Express Tribune". 7 June 2013.
- "JPNA isn't inspired by Bollywood or Hollywood: Vasay Chaudhry – The Express Tribune". 12 September 2015.
- "It's a wrap for 'Jawani Phir Nahi Ani'". The Express Tribune. 15 June 2015.
- Syed Omar Nadeem (26 June 2018). "JPNA2'S First Look: Unprecedented Script, Ingenious Squad And Unwavering Mirth". ARY Digital. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Jawani Phir Nahi Ani 2 cast hopes of roaring success". DAWN. 18 August 2018. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "10th Lux Style Awards 2011 Event and Award Winners -". 18 September 2011.
- "LUX Style Awards announce Nominations for Television, Music and Fashion". 13 July 2011.
- "Tarang House Full awards | Fashion and Showbiz Magazine Pakistan". fashion360.pk.
- "Star studded ARY Film Awards attended by all Pakistani mega stars".
- "ARY Film Awards 2014 AFA14 Pictures and Winners". 28 April 2014.
- "ARY Film Awards 2016: a night full of glitz, glamour and grandeur | ARY NEWS". arynews.tv.
- "ARY Film Awards 2016 (AFA16) winners list & event highlights". The News Teller.
- "Pakistani stars attend the 2nd ARY Film Awards at Madinat Jumeirah". The National.
- Mughal, Danish (17 April 2016). "ARY Film Awards 2016 Winners List -".
- Mughal, Danish (17 April 2016). "ARY Film Awards 2016 Winners List -".
- "Lux Style Awards 2016 nominations revealed at star-studded event – The Express Tribune". 31 May 2016.