Vanamagan (transl. son of the jungle) is a 2017 Indian Tamil-language action adventure film written and directed by A. L. Vijay. The film stars Jayam Ravi and Sayyeshaa, with Prakash Raj, Thambi Ramaiah, and Varun in supporting roles. Harris Jayaraj is the music composer. The venture began production in September 2016. The film was released on 23 June 2017.
|Directed by||A. L. Vijay|
|Produced by||A. L. Azhagappan|
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Distributed by||Kona Film Corporation|
Kavya parents died due to an accident in her childhood. They leave her their industry on her name. Kavya industries, which is now run by Rajasekar (who is very much interested in her wealth), her father's friend. Kavya and her friends plan to celebrate their New Year in Andaman. There they behave too notorious. While escaping from police for their deeds, Kavya hits a tribal named Jara with her car. Jara is heavily injured in the head. Kavya decides to save him by giving better treatment, so she brings him to Chennai. At first, there were too many misunderstands between them as Jara doesn't know her language. After some time, she starts to train him, and a beautiful bond starts between them, in spite of not knowing their languages. Vicky, Kavya's friend, tries to force on her, who is later saved by Vaasi (Jara). Kavya tries to help Jara, but he is taken away to Andaman. Kavya too reaches Andaman. In meanwhile there is a German project going on where the tribals have to vacate the forest. Rajasekar has a bond with German company for which Kavya is the chairman. She has signed the document before hand without knowing any of these. Rajashekar too goes to Andaman in search of Kavya, but she says she wants to stay with the tribe as she loves Jara and his way of living rather than city life. She prefers tribal life which is happy not the materialistic city life. Jara and Kavya fall in love, and Rajashekar leaves them and their tribe without harming them.
- Jayam Ravi as Jara (K. Vaasi)
- Sayyeshaa as Kavya
- Prakash Raj as Rajashekar
- Thambi Ramaiah as Puli Pandian
- Varun as Vicky
- Vela Ramamoorthy as Jara's father
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Kavya's uncle
- Ramya Subramanian as Ramya
- R. S. Shivaji as Visa Issuer
- Shanmugarajan as a police officer
- Sanjay Bharathi as Assistant Director
- Sam Paul as Michael Raj
- Srinivasan as Suriyaprakash
- Milton Raju as Tama
- Ravi Venkatraman
After the success of Madarasapattinam, A. L. Vijay planned to cast Suriya in the lead role. Suriya liked the script, but the role did not materialise due to budget constraints. Later in November 2015, it was reported that A. L. Vijay would direct a film starring Jayam Ravi in the lead role. The actor confirmed that the duo would begin work on the project in the middle of 2016, following the completion of his other films. The film was reported to be about a man who escapes from the lost kingdom of Kumari Kandam. In May 2016, Vijay confirmed that the project would begin later in the year and revealed that the film would be shot extensively in the Andaman Islands. Music composer Harris Jayaraj and cinematographer Tirru were also brought in for the project.
The film was subsequently launched in September 2016 with production beginning thereafter in Chennai. Sayyeshaa was signed on to portray the leading female role in the film, marking her debut in Tamil films. Sanjay Bharathi and Varun also signed on to work on the film, with the latter revealing that he would play the heroine's love interest and that Jayam Ravi would portray a tribal man who finds himself in the city. The film teaser was officially released on 6 February 2017. The background score of the teaser was that of an African tribal music and was well received.
Initially the film had its release date fixed on 19 May 2017. Due to the announcement of film industry strike on 30 May 2017, the producer has postponed the theatrical release to 23 June 2017. The satellite rights of the film were sold to Zee Tamil. Baradwaj Rangan of Film Companion wrote "Vanamagan gradually becomes terribly serious, and a comic adventure turns into a tiresomely earnest drama ."
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||22 April 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
The film's original soundtrack is scored by Harris Jayaraj, his first collaboration with director A. L. Vijay and third film with actor Jayam Ravi after Dhaam Dhoom and Engeyum Kaadhal.This is Jayaraj's 50th film as a composer. The complete album was released on 22 April 2017.
All lyrics written by Madhan Karky.
|1.||"Damn Damn"||M. M. Manasi, Sherin Shahana||3:57|
|2.||"Yemma Yea Azhagamma"||Bombay Jayashree, Haricharan||5:27|
|3.||"Silu Silu"||Vijay Yesudas||5:19|
|4.||"Morada Morada"||Benny Dayal and Krish||4:10|
|5.||"Pachchai Uduthiya Kaadu"||Abhay Jodhpurkar, Harini||5:35|
|6.||"Vanam (Theme)" (Instrumental)||Maria Roe Vincent and Flute Kamalakar||2:27|
- Vanamagan (2017) | Vanamagan Tamil Movie | Vanamagan Review, Cast & Crew, Release Date, Photos, Videos – Filmibeat. Filmibeat.com. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- "Sayyeshaa upbeat about Vanamagan". www.deccanchronicle.com/. 18 June 2017. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- Hindi dubbed version "Tarzan The He Man" was distributed by Dimension Pictures. Vanamagan Movie (2017) | Reviews, Cast & Release Date in – BookMyShow. In.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Suriya: Suriya turned down 'Vanamagan' | Tamil Movie News – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (3 May 2017). Retrieved on 2018-08-17.
- ‘I haven’t watched the Tarzan films’. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- "Jayam Ravi opens up on film career after Thani Oruvan — The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Jayam Ravi Vijay new period film about Lemuria continent — Tamil Movie News — IndiaGlitz.com". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Jayam Ravi, Vijay to shoot an action-romance in Andaman — Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Jayam Ravi- Vijay project to begin on September 5 – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Sayyeshaa roped in for Jayam Ravi- AL Vijay film — Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Varun on his next film with director Vijay and Jayam Ravi". Behindwoods. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Jayam Ravi’s next with AL Vijay titled as Vanamagan. Behindwoods.com (9 December 2016). Retrieved on 2018-08-17.
- Watch: Vanamagan Teaser Released. Boxofficereporter.com (6 February 2017). Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Jayam Ravi Vanamagan Audio from Tomorrow April 22, 2017. Kollywood.net. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- "Vanamagan release postponed due to Kollywood strike". Top 10 Cinema. 10 May 2017. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- ""VANAMAGAN" பொங்கல் தின சிறப்பு திரைப்படம் ஜனவரி 15, மாலை 4 மணிக்கு". facebook.com/ZeeTamizh. 14 January 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2019.