University of Peloponnese
The University of Peloponnese (UoP; Greek: Πανεπιστήμιο Πελοποννήσου) is a Greek Higher Education Institution, developed in the five Capitals of Prefectures of the Peloponnese, Greece (Tripoli, Corinth, Kalamata, Nafplion, Sparta) and Patras with more than 20000 students in all cycles of learning (undergraduate, postgraduate and Doctoral as well as Life Long Learning).
|Motto||Investing in Knowledge|
Greece University System
Higher Education Institution
|Vice-Chancellor||George Andriomenos, George Lepouras, Asterios Tsiaras, Sofia Ziga|
Established in 2000 and it accepted its first students in 2002. Comprises 9 Schools and 22 Departments.
The aim of the establishment and operation of the University of Peloponnese is to contribute creatively to the development of tertiary education in the region, with qualitative standards that correspond to the content of studies, research and teaching to the requirements of a modern University of European and international scope.
It was established as a public university with the Presidential Decree 13/2000. Its seat in Tripolis and is being developed at the level of complete schools in the six capitals of the Prefectures of the Region of Peloponnese.
The university was inaugurated on 20 September 2002 with the beginning of operations of the Department of Computer Science and Technology and the Department of Telecommunication Science and Technology of the School of Science and Technology.
By Law 4610/2019 the Technological Educational Institute of Western Greece is abolished and the School of Engineering are absorbed by the University of Peloponnese, and the Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese was abolished as a separate legal entity and absorbed with the University of Peloponnese.
The Rectorate of the University is housed near the city center, home to the poet Κώστας Καρυωτάκης.
The emblem of the University of Peloponnese is Pelops.
- Generating, disseminating and promoting scientific knowledge through teaching, research and the contribution to the cultural and economic development of the local community and wider society.
- Strengthening interdisciplinary cooperation and synergies among Departments within the University and with other institutions in Greece and abroad.
- Expansion and qualitative upgrading of all academic programs at all levels.
- Closer cooperation with local and regional authorities.
- Strengthening links with alumni and external stakeholders.
- Internationalization of research and teaching.
- Effective administrative structures and practices.
- Integration of Information and Communication Technologies.
Schools and DepartmentsEdit
The University of Peloponnese is divided into 9 academic Schools (Greek: Σχολές), which are further divided into 22 Departments (Greek: Τμήματα).
|School of Economics and Technology
|School of Humanities and Cultural Studies
|School of Social and Political Sciences
|School of Fine Arts
|School of Human Movement and Quality of Life Sciences
|School of Agricultural and Food
|School of Management
|School of Health Sciences
|School of Engineering
24 Postgraduate Programs (6 in English language and 8 in collaboration with Greek and foreign universities)
- Ancient and Modern Greek Literature
- Byzantine World: Its Relation to Antiquity and Modern Hellenism
- Governance and Public Policies
- Space Science, Technologies and Applications
- Global Challenges and Systems of Analysis
- Local and Regional Development and Local Government
- Dramatic Art and Performing Arts in Education and Lifelong Learning
- Theater and Society: Theory, Stage Act and Didactics
- Data Science (in collaboration with the National Center for Research on Natural Sciences "Demokritos")
- Computer Science
- Modern Wireless Communications
- Accounting and finance
- Management and Financial Planning for Public and Private Managers
- Mediterranean Studies (Joint Postgraduate Diploma from the Department of Political Science and International Relations of the University of Peloponnese and the Department of Economic and Financial Science of the University of Neapolis Paphos, Cyprus)
- Organization and Management of Athletic Activities for People with Disabilities
- Organization and Administration of Public Services, Public Organizations and Enterprises
- Olympic Studies, Olympic Education, Organization and Management of Olympic Events
- Ethics and Integrity in Sport (under the Erasmus Mundus program in collaboration with Swansea University (United Kingdom), Katholieke University (Belgium), Pompeu Fabra University (Spain), Charles University (Czech Republic), Johannesburg University( Germany)
- Management of Sports Organizations and Business
- Cultural Heritage Materials and Technologies (in collaboration with NCSR Democritus and the National Observatory of Athens)
- Modern and Modern History: New Visions and Perspectives
- Educational Policy: Design, Development and Management
- Social politics
- Higher Education Policy: Theory and Practice (in collaboration with the Department of Primary Education of the University of Patras, Department of Primary Education of the University of the Aegean)
About 160 competitive research projects are in progress (participation in 7 H2020 & 20 Erasmus+).
- 70 internationally funded projects
- 85 nationally funded projects
UoP’s outward orientationEdit
- Collaboration with 8 national and 13 foreign Universities
- Collaboration with 30 national and 3 international organizations ( Ministries, Regions, Municipalities, Chambers, Institutes, Research centres, Charity organizations, etc.)
Social Contribution via :
- The collaboration with the Region of Peloponnese
- Staff, students and alumni involvement in a wide range of activities
Erasmus+ and UoPEdit
250 Interinstitutional Agreements in 26 countries
- 306 students have studied and 221 have trained abroad
- 171 students have studied and 99 have trained in Greece
Teaching Staff Mobility
- 103 members of teaching staff have gained new teaching experiences in an international context and 119 came to the University of the Peloponnese
Administrative Staff Mobility
- 89 members of administrative staff have undertaken learning and/or professional experience in another countries and 66 came to the University of the Peloponnese.
In 2016 the external evaluation committee gave University of the Peloponnese a Positive evaluation.
Modern Greek classesEdit
The university offers summer Greek classes in the Kalamata campus. The program is directed at Greeks living abroad, especially in the United States, Canada, Australia and the UK. For people of Greek descent who have at least one grandparent from the Messenia province, the classes are free as are room and food during the one-month program. The World Council of Messenians Abroad provides the funding for the scholarship program.
The University of the Peloponnese participates in LLP Erasmus Program (Studies and Placement). They welcome students from:
Modern,multidisciplinary,regional and multi-campus university
- Reunions – annual gathering of alumni held the weekend before graduation.
- Student elections
- "Faculties and Departments". University of the Peloponnese.
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Computer Science and Technology, University of the Peloponnese, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Economics, University of the Peloponnese, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Philology, University of the Peloponnese, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of History, Archaeology and Cultural Resources Management, University of the Peloponnese, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Political Science and International Relations, University of the Peloponnese, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Social and Educational Policy, University of the Peloponnese, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Theatre Studies, University of the Peloponnese, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Sports' Organization and Management, University of the Peloponnese, 2014
- "University of the Peloponnese - External Evaluation Report" (PDF). www.adip.gr. 2016."The UoP has high quality teaching staff. Also, the Institution has established good relationships with the community and its stakeholders. The Institution will benefit by developing more systematic approaches in the collection of data for the improvement of its programmes and internationalization strategy.."
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency
- University of the Peloponnese official website (in Greek and English)
- University of the Peloponnese Internal Quality Assurance Unit (in Greek)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (in Greek and English)
- L.L.P. ERASMUS International and Public Relations Department - University of Peloponnese (in Greek and English)
- University of Peloponnese DASTA Office (Career Office & Innovation Unit) (in Greek and English)
- University of Peloponnese Special Account for Funds and Research (in Greek)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (in Greek and English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (in Greek and English)