University Press of New England
The University Press of New England (UPNE), located in Lebanon, New Hampshire and founded in 1970, is a university press consortium including Brandeis University, Dartmouth College (its host member), Tufts University, the University of New Hampshire, and Northeastern University. In April 2018, Dartmouth announced that UPNE will shut down by the end of the year.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Lebanon, New Hampshire|
University of Toronto Press (Canada)
Oxbow Books (EMEA)
East-West Export Books (Asia Pacific)
Notable fiction authors published by UPNE include Howard Frank Mosher, Roxana Robinson, Ernest Hebert, Cathie Pelletier, Chris Bohjalian, Percival Everett, Laurie Alberts and Walter D. Wetherell. Notable poets distributed by the press include Rae Armantrout, Claudia Rankine, James Tate, Mary Ruefle, Donald Revell, Ellen Bryant Voigt, James Wright, Jean Valentine, Stanley Kunitz, Heather McHugh, and Yusef Komunyakaa. Notable nature and environment authors published include William Sargent, Cynthia Huntington, David Gessner, John Hay, Tom Wessels and Eric Zencey. Notable scholarly authors published by UPNE and its members include Kathleen J. Ferraro, Jehuda Reinharz, Joyce Antler, Peter Gizzi, Mary Caroline Richards, Leslie Cannold, Colin Calloway, and Gina Barreca. UPNE and its authors and titles have received many honors and awards including the National Book Award, Pulitzer Prize, Guggenheim Fellowships, NEA Literature Fellowships, and the Barnes & Noble Discovery Award.
The press publishes books for scholars, educators, students, and the general public, concentrating on American studies, literature, history, and cultural studies; art, architecture, and material culture; ethnic studies (African American, Jewish, Native American, Shaker, and international studies); nature and the environment; and New England history and culture. It publishes around sixty titles annually, and distributes titles for a number of other small and academic presses, museums and non-profit societies.
- Northeastern University Press
- Brandeis University Press
- University of New Hampshire Press
- Tufts University University Press
- University of Vermont Press
- Dartmouth College Press
- "Welcome to UPNE". Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- "University Press of New England to Shut Down in December". Dartmouth College Office of Communications. 18 April 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- UPNE > Book Page: Door in the Mountain by Jean Valentine
- UPNE > Book Page: Neon Vernacular by Yusef Komunyakaa
- UPNE > Book Page: The Wisest Man in America by W.D. Wetherell
- Ploughshares > Authors & Articles > Contributor's Notes > Frank X. Gaspar
- University Press of New England > About