USS Colorado (SSN-788)
USS Colorado (SSN-788) is a nuclear powered United States Navy Virginia-class attack submarine, named for the State of Colorado. She is the fifteenth of her class and fifth of the significantly redesigned Block III, including a revised bow and VLS technology from the Ohio class of guided missile submarines. She was constructed by Huntington Ingalls Industries in partnership with the Electric Boat division of General Dynamics in Newport News, Virginia, with the initial contract awarded on 22 December 2008.
USS Colorado (SSN-788) in March 2018
|United States of America|
|Namesake:||The State of Colorado|
|Awarded:||22 December 2008|
|Cost:||~$2.6 billion |
|Laid down:||7 March 2015|
|Launched:||29 December 2016|
|Sponsored by:||Annie Mabus |
|Christened:||3 December 2016|
|Commissioned:||17 March 2018 |
|Motto:||Terra Marique Indomita (By land and sea, untamed)|
|Class and type:||Virginia-class submarine|
|Displacement:||7800 tons light, 7800 tons full|
|Length:||114.9 meters (377 feet)|
|Beam:||10.3 meters (34 feet)|
|Installed power:||40,000 SHP|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h)|
|Range:||Essentially unlimited distance; 33 years|
|Test depth:||greater than 800 feet (240 meters)|
|Complement:||134 officers and men|
|Armament:||4 21-inch torpedo tubes, 2 Virginia Payload Tubes, capable of holding 6 Tomahawk missiles each for a total of 38 weapons|
The official naming ceremony was on 25 June 2012. Her keel was laid down on 7 March 2015 and she was christened and launched on 3 December 2016. Her sponsor is Annie Mabus, daughter of former Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Colorado (SSN-788).|
- "About - USS Colorado (SSN 788) Commissioning Committee". Usscoloradocommittee.org. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Ship's Sponsor - USS Colorado (SSN 788) Commissioning Committee". Usscoloradocommittee.org. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Navy christens submarine USS Colorado in shipyard ceremony". Groton: Associated Press. 2016-12-03. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "USS Colorado Commissioned" (Press release). United States Navy. 17 March 2018. NNS180317-01. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- John Pike. "SSN-774 Virginia-class NSSN New Attack Submarine". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Virginia Block III: The Revised Bow". Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- "Navy Secretary to Host USS Colorado Naming Ceremony". navy.mil. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
- "An Analysis of the Navy's Fiscal Year 2013 Shipbuilding Plan" (PDF). Congressional Budget Office. July 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
|This article about a specific naval submarine of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|