Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple
The Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple is the 75th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Tuxtla Gutiérrez is the capital of Chiapas, Mexico's southernmost state and is an area famous for its many archaeological ruins. The city itself lies in a valley among the mountains. In April 1998, LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley announced the church would build thirty-two smaller temples around the world before the end of 2000. The Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple is one of these small temples and was welcomed by the many local church members. Because of the mountainous terrain, travel in and out of the area is difficult and the closest LDS temple for members was in Mexico City — a 20-hour drive. The temple in Tuxtla Gutiérrez serves more than 18,000 members in southeastern Mexico.
|Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple|
|Dedicated||12 March 2000 by |
James E. Faust
|Site||1.56 acres (0.6 hectares)|
|Floor area||10,700 sq ft (990 m2)|
|Height||71 ft (22 m)|
|Preceded by||Oaxaca Mexico Temple|
|Followed by||Louisville Kentucky Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
James E. Faust, Second Counselor in the church's First Presidency, dedicated the Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple on March 12, 2000 with more than 3,300 members attending the four dedicatory sessions. The Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple sits on 1.56 acres (6,300 m2) next to a meetinghouse. The exterior is finished with white marble and features a single-spire design with a gold statue of the angel Moroni on top. The temple has a total floor area of 10,700 square feet (990 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Mexico
- Several dozen temples, built from identical plans.
- "Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mexico Temple". LDSChurchTemples.com.
- Hart, John L. (March 18, 2000), "Tuxtla Gutierrez Mexico Temple: 75th temple brings a 'divine experience'", Church News
- "Tuxtla Gutierrez Mexico Temple". ldschurchnewsarchive.com.