|Turkish Stars |
Turkish Air Force aerobatic demonstration team
|Active||November 7, 1992|
|Branch||Turkish Air Force|
|Role||Aerobatic demonstration Team|
|Size||10 Pilots, 7 Public affairs, 11 Maintenance personnel|
|Garrison/HQ||Konya Air Base|
|Motto(s)||A perfect harmony of skill, speed and discipline...|
|Colors||Red, White, Gray|
|Major Esra Özatay|
|Fighter||10 NF-5A Freedom Fighter|
2 NF-5B Freedom Fighter
|Transport||1 C-130 |
1 CASA/IPTN CN-235
The team was formed on November 7, 1992 and was named the Turkish Stars on January 11, 1993.
Turkish Stars fly with eight Canadair NF-5 fighter planes obtained from the Royal Netherlands Air Force, making them one of few national aerobatics teams to fly supersonic aircraft. Twelve NF-5 fighter planes are available to the team. The team uses CASA/IPTN CN-235, C-130 and C-160 support aircraft in Turkish Stars colours. The team is stationed at the Konya Air Base of 3rd Main Jet Base Group Command. As a part of modernization programs of the Turkish Air Force, the NF-5 aircraft are planned to be replaced with locally produced TAI Hurjet in mid 2020s.
On 13 March 2012, one of the team's NF-5 fighter planes crashed during a training session in Konya Province 2 km (1.2 mi) from the airbase where the team is stationed. Pilot Flight lieutenant Ümit Özer, who had joined the Turkish Stars shortly before, died in the crash.
- Hv. K. K. Mebs (19 May 2011). "About the NF-5 Aircraft – Türk Yıldızları". Turkyildizlari.tsk.tr. Archived from the original on 27 November 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "HÜRJET | Turkish Aerospace". www.tusas.com. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Türk Yıldızları > Pilots & Personnel > Pilots". September 16, 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-09-16.
- Yıldız, Mehmet Kayhan % Hasan Dönmez & Hakan Kaya (2012-03-13). "Uçak düştükten hemen sonra çekildi". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2012-03-13.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Konya'da 'Türk Yıldızları' uçağı düştü: 1 şehit". Anadolu Agency (in Turkish). 2021-04-07. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Turkish Stars.|