The Trans-Papua Highway (Indonesian: Jalan Raya Trans-Papua) refers to 11 road segments, some under construction, across Papua and West Papua provinces of Indonesia, located in the island of New Guinea. The roads stretch from Sorong to Merauke with a total length of 4,325 kilometers. Construction on all the roads are predicted to finish in 2018, with 3,850 kilometers of roads have being completed in March 2017. The completed road segments include 884 out of Indonesia's 1,068 kilometer border road with Papua New Guinea. The remaining parts of the road, including 7,000 meters of bridges, are planned to be completed in 2017 and 2018, although not all of the road has been layered by asphalt.
Jalan Raya Trans-Papua (Indonesian)
|Length||4,325 km (2,687 mi)|
|South end||Merauke, Papua|
|To||Sorong, West Papua|
|Major cities||Manokwari, Nabire, Tanahmerah, Bintuni, Wamena, etc|
|Asian Highway Network|
Trans Papua consists of 7 road segments in Papua province and 4 road segments in West Papua Province:
- Carpentaria (Australia border)-Merauke (border of Papua province)
- Merauke–Tanah Merah–Oksibil
- Enarotali-Moanemani (Dogiyai)
- Moanemani (Dogiyai) (Papua provincial boundary)-Pulau Wokam (Kepulauan Aru) (Mollucas provincial border)
In West PapuaEdit
- Manokwari-Bintuni-Aroba-Teluk Arguni
- Sorong-Mega Moraid
During the construction of the highway at least 20 construction workers in Nduga are killed by gunmen affiliated with Free Papua Movement. As of December 2018, the project is suspended temporarily for security concerns.
- "Jalan Trans Papua Telah Dibangun, Tudingan Natalius Pigai Keliru". Archived from the original on March 12, 2017. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Dana Aditiasari. "Ini Penampakan Jalan Trans Papua". Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Trans-Papua road set to be completed next year". March 7, 2017.
- "Jalan Trans Papua Membentang di Atas Pegunungan". March 7, 2017.
- "Trans Papua, Membelah Gunung Menuruni Lembah". May 10, 2017.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Papua mass killing: What happened". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Trans-Papua road project suspended amid worsening security". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2018-12-13.