Tonight, I Celebrate My Love
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Tonight, I Celebrate My Love" is a song written by Gerry Goffin and Michael Masser recorded as a duet single by Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack and released in 1983. It became a big hit for the pair, peaking at number sixteen on the Billboard Hot 100, number five on the Hot Black Singles chart, and number four on the Adult Contemporary chart. In the UK, the song peaked at number two in September 1983. In addition to becoming the biggest British hit for both Bryson and Flack, the song boosted the careers of both stars and brought them both a return to prominence. Capitol Records' Bob Hart asked Martin Pitts to Direct the official video through One Heart Productions. The video was a performance with the original band in the background at the Capitol studios on Vine Street in Hollywood.
|"Tonight, I Celebrate My Love"|
|Single by Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack|
|from the album Born to Love|
- Peabo Bryson - Vocals
- Nathan East - Bass
- Roberta Flack - Vocals (Background)
- Paul Jackson, Jr. - Guitar
- Randy Kerber - Piano
- Michael Masser - Rhythm
- Gene Page - Orchestration, Rhythm
- Carlos Vega - Drums
The Telegraph listed the song as one of the 50 best love songs of the 1980s, writing "Mmm! Dig those tinkly Eighties keyboards. Almost tasteful, considering its schlockbusting potential." The song is, according to The Telegraph, Roberta Flack's favourite song from the 80's. The Monthly describes it as a "big romantic ballad".
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||10|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||8|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||11|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||16|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||4|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||5|
- Perry Como recorded the song for his 1987 album Today.
- Gloria Loring recorded the song for her 2001 albu By Request.
- Canadian singer-songwriter Amy Sky covered the song on her 2003 album With This Kiss.
- The song was covered in 2006 by British glamour model Katie Price and her now estranged husband, pop singer Peter Andre. The track is included on their 2006 album of duets A Whole New World.
- The Estonian rendering "See öö on armastuse aastapäev" was recorded by Marju Länik (et) for her 1986 album Marju Länik album Südame laul, the track being a duet with Jaak Joala.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 90.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 41.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives: Australian Chart Book. p. 247. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. The Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between mid 1983 and 19 June 1988.
- "Ultratop.be – Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack – Tonight, I Celebrate My Love" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Peabo Bryson". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Charts.org.nz – Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack – Tonight, I Celebrate My Love". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack – Tonight, I Celebrate My Love". VG-lista. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Peabo Bryson Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Peabo Bryson Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Peabo Bryson Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved June 23, 2018.