Tom Wheeler (writer)
|Occupation||Television writer, producer, professor|
Wheeler began his television career writing and executive producing the ABC mini-series Empire in 2005. He then wrote two television pilots, The World According to Barnes and Captain Cook's Extraordinary Atlas, neither of which were taken to series. His new series The Cape, about a police officer framed for a crime he did not commit who takes on the guise of his son's favorite comic book hero in order to clear his name, premiered on NBC on January 9, 2011.
He is currently writing the screenplay for the 2015 DreamWorks Animation's animated film B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations. But that film was quietly canceled. He was also co-writing another DWA's animated film Trollhunters together with film's co-director Guillermo del Toro, But the movie was then converted into a television series instead. Wheeler also wrote the 2017 live-action/animated film, The Lego Ninjago Movie.
As of 2018, Wheeler is working with Frank Miller on a project called Cursed, which is an illustrated YA book reimagining the King Arthur legend from the point of view of the Lady of the Lake. Wheeler will write the prose, while Miller will provide original full-color and black-and-white illustrations. Miller and Wheeler will also simultaneously adapt the book into a TV series, which has already received a 10-episode order from Netflix. They will also both be executive producers on the project.
- West, Kelly (December 18, 2010). "Interview: NBC's The Cape Creator Tom Wheeler". Cinema Blend. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- "Shows A-Z – cape, the on nbc". The Futon Critic. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- DreamWorks Animation (September 9, 2012). "New Distributor Twentieth Century Fox Unveils DreamWorks Animation's Release Slate Through 2016". DreamWorks Animation. Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- Fletcher, Rosie (2011-05-10). "Guillermo Del Toro Talks Future Projects". Total Film. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- Canfield, David (March 22, 2018). "Frank Miller to spin King Arthur legend into YA book Cursed". EW.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 28, 2018). "Netflix Orders TV Series 'Cursed' From Frank Miller & Tom Wheeler Based On Book Reimagining King Arthur Legend". Deadline.