Tim Miller (director)
Timothy Miller (born February 28, 1970), is an American film director and visual effects artist. He made his feature-film directing debut with Deadpool (2016). He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film as co-story writer and executive producer of the short animated film Gopher Broke (2004). Miller also designed the title sequences of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Thor: The Dark World.
Miller at the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con
28 February 1970
|Occupation||Film director, visual effects artist, animator|
Miller was born in Fort Washington, Maryland in 1970. In March 1995, Miller co-founded Blur Studio, a visual effects, animation and design company with David Stinnett and Cat Chapman. Miller and Jeff Fowler were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 2005 for the short film Gopher Broke.
In March 2008, Miller was set to produce and direct one of eight animated tales, based on the Heavy Metal magazine. David Fincher and Kevin Eastman were also attached to produce and direct a story segment. Miller was set by Legendary Pictures on March 15, 2012 to direct a live-action adaptation of the Warren Ellis comic book series Gravel, from a script by Oliver Butcher and Stephen Cornwell. On November 14, 2012, Sony Pictures set Miller to direct Joe Haldeman's science fiction novella Seasons, which Sebastian Gutierrez was set to adapt and Michael De Luca to produce. Miller and Jeff Fowler are also set to direct and produce the animated film The Goon through their Blur Studio. As of 2018, none of these films have been produced.
Miller designed the title sequences of the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011), and of the film Thor: The Dark World (2013). The latter was completed in 12 weeks and included 75 shots, most of which were computer-generated.
On April 8, 2011, Miller was hired by 20th Century Fox to direct the feature film Deadpool, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It was his directorial debut, and was written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, with Ryan Reynolds starring in the title role. Filming began late March 2015 in Vancouver, and the film was released on February 12, 2016. Miller was set to direct the sequel, Deadpool 2, released in 2018, but he departed the project due to creative differences with star Reynolds. In October 2016, he was hired to serve as executive producer for Sony Pictures' planned Sonic the Hedgehog feature film.
In January 2017, Deadline reported that Miller was in talks with James Cameron to work on and possibly direct a new Terminator film. Skydance Media confirmed in September 2017 that Miller would direct the next Terminator film. The title of the film was officially announced as Terminator: Dark Fate in 2019.
|1995||Hideaway||No||No||No||Yes||Visual effects specialist|
|2010||Scott Pilgrim vs. the World||No||No||No||Yes||Supervisor (Ninja Ninja sequence)|
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||No||No||No||Yes||Creative director (Title sequence)|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||No||No||No||Yes||Second unit director (Opening sequence)|
|2019||Terminator: Dark Fate||Yes||No||No||Yes||Also co-creative consultant|
|2020||Sonic the Hedgehog||No||No||Executive||No|
|2019||Love, Death & Robots||Yes||No||Executive||Creator|
- Intergraph Computer Systems (February 12, 1997). "Intergraph Workstations Play Starring Role in "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest" at Blur Studio". Business Wire. The Free Library. Retrieved March 7, 2015.
- "The 77th Academy Awards (2005) Nominees and Winners". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). Retrieved March 7, 2015.
- Stephenson, Hunter (March 14, 2008). "David Fincher to Produce and Co-Direct Animated Heavy Metal Film". slashfilm.com. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 15, 2012). "VFX Wiz Tim Miller Digs In To Helm 'Gravel' For Legendary Pictures". deadline.com. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (November 14, 2012). "Sony Acquires Joe Haldeman Sci-Fi Novella 'Seasons' For Tim Miller To Direct". deadline.com. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- Amidi, Amid (October 19, 2012). "Blur's Tim Miller Responds To "The Goon" Kickstarter Controversy". cartoonbrew.com. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- Semigran, Aly (February 21, 2012). "Oscars 2012 Behind the Scenes: How the hypnotizing 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' opening credits came to be". ew.com. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- "Tim Miller and Blur create prologue for 'Marvel's Thor: The Dark World'". PostPerspective.com. Archived from the original on July 3, 2015. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- McClintock, Pamela (April 8, 2011). "Fox Sets Tim Miller to Direct 'Deadpool'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 7, 2015.
- Perry, Spencer (December 4, 2014). "Deadpool Set to Begin Production in March as Ryan Reynolds Signs on to Return". Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (September 18, 2014). "X-Men Spinoff 'Deadpool' to Hit Theaters Feb. 12, 2016". Variety. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (February 9, 2016). "'Deadpool' Sequel Already in the Works". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on October 28, 2016. Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (October 22, 2016). "Deadpool Director Tim Miller Exits Sequel Disagreements Ryan Reynolds". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on August 14, 2017.
- Gonzalez, Umberto; Maglio, Tony (October 22, 2016). "'Deadpool 2' Drama: Here's What Ryan Reynolds and Director Tim Miller Clashed Over (Exclusive)". TheWrap.com. Archived from the original on March 5, 2017. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- Kit, Borys (October 31, 2016). "'Deadpool' Director Shifts to Sony's 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on November 1, 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (January 20, 2017). "He's Back! James Cameron To Godfather 'Terminator' With 'Deadpool' Helmer Tim Miller". Deadline. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- ""Terminator 6" Is a go! Tim Miller Will Officially Direct!". Skynet's Army. September 12, 2017. Archived from the original on September 29, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 19, 2019). "Paramount Titles James Cameron Produced 'Terminator' Sequel; Pic Will Stay Put On Nov. 1 Against 'Charlie's Angels'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 20, 2019. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- Couch, Aaron (August 9, 2017). "'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller to Adapt 'Neuromancer' for Fox". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on August 10, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "Sonic the Hedgehog film to be produced by Deadpool director Tim Miller". October 31, 2016. Retrieved October 31, 2016.