Throwing Shade is a weekly comedy podcast and TV show (which premiered on TV Land on January 17th, 2017) based on discussions of women's rights, LGBTQ rights, progressive politics and pop culture, hosted by Erin Gibson (a.k.a. "Feminasty") and Bryan Safi (a.k.a. "Homosensual"). Gibson and Safi are "equal-opportunity offenders," and their comedic repartee frequently features adult topics and a politically incorrect sense of humor, even as they explore serious cultural and political issues.
|Hosted by||Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi|
|Original release||November 9, 2011– present|
|License||© Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi|
Each episode consists of a series of topical comedic dialogues and sparring between the co-hosts, plus occasional interviews with notable guests. Their main focus is assessing current issues “affecting ladies and gays,” dissecting each topic with sass and humor accompanied by earnest passion for defending civil liberties.
Gibson and Safi met while performing at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in Los Angeles, and continued to work together as writers and hosts on InfoMania, on the Current TV network. They released the first episode of Throwing Shade on November 9, 2011.
The podcast was produced by Jesse Thorn's podcast and radio production network, Maximum Fun. Funding for Maximum Fun, Inc. is raised through underwriting and corporate sponsorship, as well as individual membership donations.
The show is now produced by the Earwolf network.
- "TV Schedule - Throwing Shade | TVLAND.com". Spike.com. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "Throwing Shade: Podmass Central". A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Middleton, Josh (January 4, 2013). "Throwing Shade at Delta Burke - and Philly". GPhilly: Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Joseph Gordon-Levitt charms Nerdist and Gilbert Gottfried is unrepentant on WTF: Podmass Central". A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Throwing Shade". Maximum Fun. Maximumfun.org. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Antoniou, Bil (January 11, 2015). "Podcast Showdown: Entertainment For The Post-Holiday Credit Crunch". MyGayToronto.com. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "About Us". ThrowingShade.com. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Inaugural Episode of Throwing Shade". Throwingshade.com. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Thorn, Jesse. "Please Welcome: Throwing Shade!". Jesse Thorn's blog. Maximumfun.org. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Podcast Awards: The People's Choice". Podcast Connect Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- @MaxFunHQ (June 28, 2017). "A bit of sad news, friends: after 5 great years with us, Throwing Shade is leaving Maximum Fun. We'll miss them, & we wish them the best!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/maximumfun.org/permalink/1601583039865681/, Maximumfun.org, Jesse Thorn, June 28 2017
- http://www.earwolf.com/show/throwing-shade/, Retrieved August 8 2017