Thomas Brian McKelvie Fairfax, 13th Lord Fairfax of Cameron (14 May 1923 – 8 April 1964), was a Scottish nobleman, peer, and Conservative politician.
The Lord Fairfax of Cameron
|13th Lord Fairfax of Cameron|
|Born||14 May 1923|
|Died||8 April 1964 (aged 40)|
|Spouse(s)||Sonia Helen Gunston|
|Parents||Albert Fairfax, 12th Lord Fairfax of Cameron|
Maude Wishart McKelvie
|Member of the House of Lords|
Representative Peer for Scotland
Thomas Brian McKelvie Fairfax was born on 14 May 1923 and was the son of Albert Fairfax, 12th Lord Fairfax of Cameron (1870–1939), and Maude Wishart McKelvie, daughter of James McKelvie, who were married in 1922. He had a younger brother, Peregrine John Wishart Fairfax (1925–2012).
He served in the Second World War as a lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards. In 1945, he was elected a Scottish Representative Peer, and served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Lord President of the Council (Lord Woolton and Lord Salisbury respectively) from 1951 to 1953 and to the Minister of Materials (Lord Woolton) between 1953 and 1954. In 1954 he was made a Lord-in-waiting (government whip in the House of Lords), a post he held until 1957.
In 1951, Lord Fairfax of Cameron married Sonia Helen Gunston (1926–2017), younger daughter of Cecil Bernard Gunston, MC, and his wife Lady Doris Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood. Lady Doris was the eldest daughter of Terence Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, 2nd Marquess of Dufferin and Ava (1866–1918). They had:
- Serena Frances Fairfax (born 12 December 1952)
- Nicholas Fairfax, 14th Lord Fairfax of Cameron (born 4 January 1956), who married Annabel Morriss, daughter of Nicholas and Sarah Gilham Morriss
- Hugh Nigel Thomas Fairfax (born 29 March 1958)
- Rupert Alexander James Fairfax (born 21 January 1961)
He died in April 1964, aged only 40, and was succeeded by his eight-year-old son, Nicholas. In 1967, his widow Lady Fairfax of Cameron was appointed Temporary Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth II.
- "Albert Kirby Fairfax, 12th Lord Fairfax of Cameron". thepeerage.com. The Peerage. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Thomas Brian McElvie Fairfax, 13th Lord Fairfax of Cameron". thepeerage.com. The Peerage, BP2003 volume 2, page 2867. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Page