Theydon Bois tube station
Theydon Bois is a London Underground station in the village of Theydon Bois in Essex, England. It is served by the Central line and is between Debden and Epping. For the purposes of fare charging it is in Zone 6.
|Local authority||District of Epping Forest|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Accessible||Yes (Eastbound only)|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|24 April 1865||Opened|
|25 September 1949||London Underground services start|
|18 April 1966||Goods yard closed|
|London transport portal|
The station was opened as "Theydon" by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) on 24 April 1865 but in December that year it was renamed to its present name. It opened as an intermediate station on their Loughton–Ongar extension; the GER became part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) in 1923. 'Milk trains' to Liverpool Street were a regular feature in the timetable until the underpass from Leyton to Stratford was built.
As part of the New Works Programme, 1935–1940, the LNER branch was transferred to London Underground, to form the part of the eastern extension of the Central line.
In 2015, advocacy by a local group forced a proposed 80-space commuter car park to seek planning permission before being constructed on land adjacent to the station.
The station todayEdit
The station was one of the first on the Underground network to operate without a staffed ticket office.
Westbound platform looking north (eastbound) towards Epping
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. April 2021. Archived (PDF) from the original on 15 May 2021.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures (2007–2017)" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Station Usage Data" (CSV). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2018. Transport for London. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- "Station Usage Data" (XLSX). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2019. Transport for London. 23 September 2020. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- "Labyrinth". 8 July 2013.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News. London Underground Railway Society (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
- Blow to TfL in row over commuter car park, Joseph Flaig, 6 August 2015. Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Theydon Bois tube station.|