Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen
|Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
|Queen consort of Bavaria|
|Reign||13 October 1825 – 20 March 1848|
|Born||8 July 1792|
Seidingstadt, Duchy of Saxe-Hildburghausen
|Died||26 October 1854 (aged 62)|
Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria
|Spouse||Ludwig I of Bavaria|
|Issue||Maximilian II of Bavaria|
Mathilde Caroline, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine
Otto I of Greece
Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria
Adelgunde, Duchess of Modena
Archduchess Hildegard, Duchess of Teschen
|Father||Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Mother||Charlotte Georgine of Mecklenburg-Strelitz|
Therese was a daughter of Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg, and Duchess Charlotte Georgine of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, eldest daughter of Charles II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. In 1809, she was on the list of possible brides for Napoleon, but in 1810 married the Bavarian crown prince Ludwig. Their wedding was the occasion of the first ever Oktoberfest. She became queen in 1825. During the numerous love affairs of her husband, Therese suffered but tolerated the situation. She did not refrain, however, from demonstrating her disapproval in discreet ways; in 1831, she left town during one of his affairs, and she strictly rejected associating with the mistresses. Therese often assisted with the administration of the kingdom of Bavaria, especially when Ludwig was absent from Munich during his numerous journeys, and she did have some political influence and participated in political issues. She was very popular and was considered to embody an ideal image of queen, wife and mother. She was involved in a great number of charitable organizations for widows, orphans and the poor. She was the object of great sympathy during her husband's infidelity with Lola Montez, which caused him to abdicate in 1848.
Therese and Ludwig had nine children:
- Maximilian (1811–1864), who married Princess Marie of Prussia (1825–1889); King of Bavaria as Maximilian II from 1848 to 1864.
- Mathilde Caroline (1813–1862), who married Ludwig III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (1806–1877).
- Otto (1815–1867), who married Duchess Amalie of Oldenburg (1818–1875); King of Greece as Otto I from 1832 to 1862.
- Theodelinde (1816–1817).
- Luitpold (1821–1912), who married Archduchess Auguste of Austria (1825–1864); Prince Regent of Bavaria (1886–1912).
- Adelgunde (1823–1914), who married Francis V, Duke of Modena (1819–1875).
- Hildegard (1825–1864), who married Archduke Albert of Austria (1817–1895) Duke of Teschen.
- Alexandra (1826–1875).
- Adalbert (1828–1875), who married Infanta Amalia of Spain (1834–1905).