The Times (Shreveport)
The Times is a Gannett daily newspaper based in Shreveport, Louisiana. Its distribution area includes twelve parishes in Northwest Louisiana and three counties in east Texas. Coverage focuses on issues affecting the Shreveport-Bossier market and includes investigative reporting, community news, arts & entertainment, government, education, sports, business, and religion, along with local opinion/commentary. Its website provides news updates, videos, photo galleries, forums, blogs, event calendars, entertainment, classifieds, contests, databases and a regional search engine. Local news content produced by The Times is available on the website at no charge for seven days.
|Headquarters||222 Lake Street
Shreveport, LA 71101, USA
From 1895 to 1991, The Times had competition from the afternoon Monday-Saturday daily, the since defunct Shreveport Journal. The papers were later printed at the same 222 Lake Street address and shared opposite sides of the building but were entirely separate and independent of the other. Publisher Charles T. Beaird effective March 30, 1991, closed the Shreveport Journal for financial reasons stemming from sharply reduced circulation. Thereafter, the page opposite the editorial page of The Times, commonly called the op-ed page, was reserved as "The Journal Page" for editorial comment until December 31, 1999.
Beginning in October 2017, The Times will no longer be locally published because the distribution center in Shreveport will close in order to reduce production and labor costs. The Times will instead be printed at another Gannett publication, the Longview News-Journal in Longview, Texas, a commute of sixty-five miles one-way. The Monroe News-Star, which had been published in Shreveport will now be printed at the Jackson Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Mississippi. The change is not expected to impact delivery schedules.
The Times sponsors political debates, economic summits, forums, leadership awards, and other community-oriented initiatives. The Times also provides community support through Gannett Foundation grants and community partnerships. For more than 30 years The Times "Joy Fund" has provided funds to charitable organizations during the holidays through donations provided by readers with funds exceeding $100,000 annually. In addition, The Times presents the Regional Spelling Bee and supports local events including the Red River Revel, Mudbug Madness, the State Fair of Louisiana, Boutique de Noel, among others. Support is also provided to the Shreveport Symphony, the Opera Guild, Sci-Port, Shreveport Regional Arts Council, Alliance for Education, American Red Cross, Shreveport Green, Community Renewal, Providence House, and the United Way of Northwest Louisiana.
- Main news (first section)
- Flavor (Wednesdays)
- Arts, culture and entertainment (Thursdays)
- Lagniappe (Home, garden and weekend guide) (Fridays)
- Autos (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Living (Sundays)
- Real Estate (Sundays)
- CareerBuilder (Sundays)
- Business (Sundays)
- Comics + TV Times (Sundays)
- High School Sports (in football season on Fridays and Saturdays)
- LSU section (in football season on Sundays)
- NFL section (in football season on Mondays)
Publications and websitesEdit
- The Times daily newspaper
- ACE 16- to 20- page arts, culture and entertainment guide
- shreveporttimes.com Online news and information
- LSUBeat.com Online news and information on LSU sports
- Voices Community weekly news newspaper (100K circulation) delivered to non-subscribers and subscribers (news and advertising inserts).
- Get Healthy new monthly health news
- Red River Moms magazine monthly parenting and child information
- CareerBuilder Weekly weekly employment listings and career advice
- Cars.com NUMBER ONE source for new and used cars in NWLA
- Homefinder Top local real estate section (weekly on Sundays)
Current and former staffersEdit
- Arthur Winton Brown (1908-1916) -- secretary-Treasurer and part owner; formerly the mayor of Wellington, New Zealand.
- Preston Allen "Pap" Dean (1915-2011) -- editorial cartoonist and inductee of the Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame.
- Grits Gresham (1922–2008) -- former Times outdoor editor and host of ABC's The American Sportsman television series from 1966–1979.
- Wiley W. Hilburn (1938-2014) - Times columnist ("Fragments") and head of the Louisiana Tech University Journalism Department; inductee of Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame.
- Bill P. Keith (b. 1934) - reported on George W. D'Artois scandal in the middle 1970s; later a Louisiana state senator.
- Harold R. "Hal" King (1945-2010) - suspense novelist who was an investigative reporter at The Times in the 1970s.
- Jim Leslie (1937-1976) - Shreveport Times journalist turned advertising executive; assassinated in Baton Rouge; speculation focused on the late George W. D'Artois as the culprite behind the crime.
- William Hawthorn Lynch (1929-2004) - sportswriter (1948), assistant city editor and political reporter, established the Baton Rouge bureau of The Times (1953-1965); state's first inspector general (1988-2004).
- Rupert Peyton (1899–1982) - Reporter, historian, and state representative from 1932 to 1936.
- Norman L. Richardson (1935–1999) -- Former state editor known for coverage of hurricanes of 1960s.
- George W. Shannon (1914-1998) -- Assistant city editor, 1935-1938; editor of Shreveport Journal, 1953-1971.
- Dale Thorn (1943-2014), editor at The Times in late 1960s, Louisiana State University professor, and press secretary to Governor Edwin Edwards, native of McComb, Mississippi.
- Stanley R. Tiner (b. 1942) -- Former political reporter; executive editor of The Sun Herald in Biloxi-Gulfport, Mississippi
- "Shreveport Journal ends publication after 96 years:, Minden Press-Herald', March 31, 1991, p. 1.
- "News-Star to move printing to Jackson," Monroe News-Star, August 23, 2017.
- "Badge of Dishonor: George D'Artois and his alleged murder plot against Jim Leslie". KTBS-TV. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Obituary of William Hawthorn Lynch, New Orleans Times-Picayune, February 16, 2004
- John Andrew Prime (June 10, 2010). "George Washington Shannon". Find a Grave. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Obituary of Dr. Jesse Dale Thorn, May 14, 2014". Ouachita Citizen. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "H. M. "Mutt" Fowler". The Shreveport Times. Retrieved September 20, 2014.