The Shaw Group
The Shaw Group was acquired by CB&I on February 13, 2013. Prior to the acquisition, Shaw was a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana with approximately 25,000 employees and $6 billion in FY2012 revenue. Shaw provided engineering, construction, maintenance, technology, fabrication, remediation, and support services for clients in the energy, chemicals, environmental, infrastructure, and emergency response industries.
Shaw was founded in 1986 by J.M. Bernhard Jr., Oscar J.LaFleur, and A.W. Angelo as a fabrication shop. The company was originally known as Shaw Industries Inc. Shaw grew by acquiring stock of Alloy Piping Products, Fronek A/DE, Inc, Naptech, Inc., Pipe Shields Inc., United Crafts, Inc., Merit Industrial Constructors, Inc., Cojafex B.V., Prospect Industries plc, joined with Entergy Corporation to create EntergyShaw L.L.C., Stone & Webster Inc., The IT Group, Inc., Envirogen, Inc., MWR, Inc., Badger Technologies from Washington Group International, and Energy Delivery Services from Duke Energy Global Markets, Inc.
In 2006 the company acquired a 20% interest in the Westinghouse Electric Company, the rest majority owned by Toshiba. In September 2011, Toshiba was reported to be in talks to acquire the Shaw stake. Toshiba is paying $1.6 billion for the 20% stake under a Shaw-owned option, Shaw CEO J.M. Bernhard Jr. said. Shaw said it was the 50% rise in the yen on its yen-denominated debt over five years which led it to exercise its sale option. The option was part of the 2006 purchase terms. The transaction was completed in January 2013, and brought Toshiba's stake in Westinghouse to 87%.
- "Fortune 500 2012: Companies: S". CNN.
- "Toshiba reportedly to buy 20% of Westinghouse", MarketWatch, Sept. 5, 2011, 6:53 pm EDT. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Toshiba confirms it will buy Shaw stake in Westinghouse", Bloomberg via gulfnews.com, 00:00 September 8, 2011. The ownership shares over time as covered in the article don't fully add up. Some transactions probably not covered in the article. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Toshiba buys Shaw Group's stake in Westinghouse". 7 January 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Jim Polson and Thomas Black (30 July 2012). "CB&I to Buy Shaw Group for $3 Billion to Add Nuclear Unit". San Francisco Chronicle. Bloomberg. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "CB&I - News". www.cbi.com.
- writer, TIMOTHY BOONE Advocate business. "CB&I completes Shaw acquisition".