The Seagull (2018 film)
The Seagull is a 2018 American drama film directed by Michael Mayer with a screenplay by Stephen Karam, based on the play of the same name by Anton Chekhov. The film stars Annette Bening, Saoirse Ronan, Corey Stoll, Elisabeth Moss, Mare Winningham, Jon Tenney, Glenn Fleshler, Michael Zegen, Billy Howle and Brian Dennehy. Filming began in June 2015 in New York City and had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 21, 2018 and was released on May 11, 2018 by Sony Pictures Classics.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Mayer|
|Screenplay by||Stephen Karam|
|Based on||The Seagull|
by Anton Chekhov
|Music by||Nico Muhly|
|Cinematography||Matthew J. Lloyd|
|Edited by||Annette Davey|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
|Box office||$1.5 million|
An aging actress named Irina Arkadina pays summer visits to her brother Pjotr Nikolayevich Sorin and her son Konstantin at a country estate. On one occasion, she brings her lover Boris Trigorin, a successful novelist. Nina, a free and innocent girl on a neighboring estate, who is in a relationship with Konstantin, falls in love with Boris.
On May 13, 2015, it was announced that Michael Mayer would direct the adaptation of Anton Chekhov's play The Seagull, scripted by Stephen Karam. Saoirse Ronan and Annette Bening would star along with Corey Stoll and Billy Howle. Producers are Leslie Urdang, Tom Hulce and Robert Salerno.
In October 2017, Sony Pictures Classics acquired distribution rights to the film. The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 21, 2018. It was released on May 11, 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 69% based on 113 reviews, with a weighted average of 6.1/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "The latest iteration of The Seagull does little to distinguish itself from other Chekhov adaptations but provides a pleasing showcase for its sterling cast." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 58 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
A.O. Scott reviewing the film for The New York Times found the cast for the film to be very well selected for their roles but the film as a whole to be disappointing stating: "Ms. Bening, Ms. Moss and Ms. Ronan in particular are superb, as you also probably didn’t need me to tell you. Each one finds the individuality that Chekhov, with uncanny sympathy and sly gallantry, imparted to his female characters. The cast is great. The play is great. But this is still a bad movie, because it has no clear or coherent idea of how to be one".
- "The Seagull". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "The Seagull (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Barraclough, Leo (May 13, 2015). "Saoirse Ronan, Annette Bening to Star in Adaptation of Anton Chekhov's 'The Seagull' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Daniels, Nia (June 30, 2015). "Principal photography underway on The Seagull". KFTV. Media Business Insight. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "Arrow Park". Arrow Park official website. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- McNary, Dave (October 24, 2017). "Saoirse Ronan, Annette Bening's 'The Seagull' Flies to Sony Classics". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "The Seagull". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "The Seagull (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- "The Seagull Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- Scott, A.O. (May 9, 2018). "Review: In 'The Seagull,' a Great Play, a Great Cast and Yet ..." The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved June 21, 2018.