Michael Jonathan Zegen (born February 20, 1979) is an American actor, best known for his role as Joel Maisel on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. He also played probie firefighter Damien Keefe on the FX Network television drama Rescue Me.
Michael Zegen at the Mad Men premiere
Michael Jonathan Zegen
February 20, 1979
Ridgewood, New Jersey, U.S.
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Other names||Mike Zegen|
|Years active||2002 – present|
Life and careerEdit
Zegen was born to a teacher mother and a lawyer father, and lived in Glen Rock, New Jersey before moving to nearby Ridgewood when he was five. He has two brothers. He is Jewish, and his grandparents are Holocaust survivors.
He attended Ridgewood High School, where he was active in the school's theater program. Zegen is a 2001 graduate of Skidmore College. He is a member of the New York City sketch comedy troupe "Hottie$ Galore".
His role on Rescue Me began as a recurring character in Seasons 1-3, playing the nephew of series lead Tommy Gavin (Denis Leary). In Seasons 5-6, he was promoted to the main cast when his character began probationary firefighter school to become a firefighter.
In late 2010, Zegen was cast as gangster Bugsy Siegel for the second, third and fifth season of the HBO series, Boardwalk Empire. In 2011 Zegen, along with James Ransone, were cast in supporting roles in the HBO comedy series How To Make It In America. In mid-2011, Zegen was cast in a recurring guest role in the second season of the AMC series The Walking Dead. In 2014 he created the role of Liam off-Broadway in the dark comedy Bad Jews.
|2007||The Girl Next Door||Eddie|
|2008||Assassination of a High School President||Steven Lohman|
|Taking Woodstock||Bernie (Young Man #1)|
|2004||The Sopranos||Partygoer||1 episode|
|2004–11||Rescue Me||Damien Keefe||42 episodes|
|2006||Love Monkey||Luther||1 episode|
|2009||Mercy||Jason Keener||1 episode|
|2011||How to Make It in America||Andy Sussman||4 episodes (Season 2)|
|2011–14||Boardwalk Empire||Benny "Bugsy" Siegel||11 episodes (Seasons 2–3; 5)|
|2012||The Walking Dead||Randall Culver||4 episodes (Season 2)|
|2014||Girls||Joe||3 episodes (Season 3)|
|2016||BrainDead||Ben Valderrama||1 episode|
|2017–present||The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel||Joel Maisel||18 episodes|
- Blank, Matthew (October 15, 2013). "Playbill.com's Cue & A: "Boardwalk Empire" and Bad Jews Star Michael Zegen". Playbill.com. Archived from the original on July 27, 2014.
- "The Allure of the Jewish Tough Guy, From 'Exodus' to 'Boardwalk Empire'". The Atlantic. June 30, 2011. Retrieved March 1, 2012.
Zegen, a young Jewish actor from the suburbs of Jersey,...
- "Bad Jews Kvetching Over Good Soup Off-Broadway". TheaterMania.com. December 3, 2012. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
My grandfather (who was a Holocaust survivor) discovered years after that his brother had survived (also),...
- Posted December 24, 2015 / Lonnie Firestone, JTA (December 24, 2015). "From HBO to Arthur Miller, what a 'tough guy' actor learned from his Jewish grandma". AZ Jewish Post. Retrieved April 11, 2017.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Stiansen, Laura Adams. "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel praised by Ridgewood's Michael Zegen for its Emmy wins", The Record (Bergen County), September 18, 2018. Accessed December 20, 2018. "He’s played American mobster 'Bugsy' Siegel in HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and a bandit-turned-zombie in The Walking Dead; now he stars as Joel Maisel in the Amazon original series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. So, Ridgewood native Michael Zegen may look very familiar.... But the 39-year-old actor, who now calls New York City home, hasn’t forgotten his Jersey roots ('I still prefer Paramus Park to Garden State Plaza,' he says. 'Guess I’m just nostalgic') or the Ridgewood High School theater program that helped him develop his passion (and that he used to consider his 'home')."
- "2001 Graduates" (PDF). Skidmore College.
- IMDB bio for Michael Zegen
- "Actor Michael Zegen of 'Rescue Me' opens up about playing a brain-dead firefighter". Los Angeles Times. September 1, 2010.
- "Catching Up With Boardwalk Empire Actor Michael Zegen". www.pastemagazine.com. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- "Walking Dead's Michael Zegen Eulogizes [Spoiler]". tvline.com. Retrieved September 22, 2016.