The Perfect Holiday
The Perfect Holiday is a 2007 comedy film directed by Lance Rivera, starring Gabrielle Union, Morris Chestnut and Terrence Howard, and is produced by Academy Award-nominated actress Queen Latifah, who also serves as narrator. The film was released on December 12, 2007. It was also the first film by Destination Films to receive a wide release since Beautiful.
|The Perfect Holiday|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lance Rivera|
|Produced by||Joseph P. Genier|
Leifur B. Dagfinnsson
|Written by||Jeff Stein|
|Narrated by||Queen Latifah|
|Music by||Christopher Lennertz|
|Edited by||Paul Trejo|
|Distributed by||Yari Film Group|
|Box office||$5.8 million|
This article needs an improved plot summary. (October 2015)
Benjamin (Chestnut) is an aspiring songwriter who attempts to break into the music business by giving a copy of his recording track of a Christmas album to a rap artist named J-Jizzy (Charles Q. Murphy). Nancy (Union) is a divorced mother, who is too busy taking care of her three children to take care of herself. Her daughter Emily (Khail Bryant) overhears her mother say that she wished for a compliment from a man, and the daughter tells the local mall's Santa Claus about her mother's wish.
The Santa Claus turns out to be Benjamin, who notices Nancy. Later, while sitting in a Starbucks after his shift as Santa, Benjamin and his friend Jamal (Faizon Love) see Nancy go into a dry cleaners. Benjamin borrows Jamal's jacket, pretends to drop it off at the cleaners, tells Nancy that she's a very attractive woman (granting her wish), and leaves. Eventually, the two start to date and end up falling in love—without Ben realizing that Nancy's ex-husband is J-Jizzy.
Things take a turn for the worse, however, because Nancy's oldest son, John-John (Malik Hammond) is jealous of Benjamin going out with his mother and plots to break up the relationship. What follows is a series of funny and touching scenes that show viewers what "family" is really about.
- Gabrielle Union - Nancy Taylor
- Morris Chestnut - Benjamin Armstrong
- Charlie Murphy - J-Jizzy
- Malik Hammond - John-John Taylor
- Jeremy Gumbs - Mikey Taylor
- Khail Bryant - Emily Taylor
- Faizon Love - Jamal
- Jill Marie Jones - Robin
- Katt Williams - Delicious
- Queen Latifah - Mrs. Christmas
- Rachel True - Brenda
- Terrence Howard - Bah Humbug
The film was neither a critical nor commercial success. Rotten Tomatoes reported that 16% of critics gave positive reviews based on 54 reviews. It has a consensus stating The Perfect Holiday is the perfect example of Christmas movie clichés run amok. Metacritic gave the film a 32 out of 100 approval rating based on 22 reviews, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". On its opening weekend, it opened poorly at #6 with $2.2 million. The film grossed $5.8 million domestically.
- "The Perfect Holiday". Freestylereleasing.com. 13 December 2007. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "The Perfect Holiday (2007)". Box Office Flops. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "The Perfect Holiday (2007)". Box Office Mojo.
- "The Perfect Holiday Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "The Perfect Holiday (2007):Reviews". Metacritic.
- "The Perfect Holiday (2007)- Weekend Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo.