The Originals (TV series)
The Originals is an American television series that began airing on The CW on October 3, 2013. Created as a spin-off of The Vampire Diaries, the series follows vampire-werewolf hybrid Klaus Mikaelson as he and his family become embroiled in the supernatural politics of New Orleans.
|Created by||Julie Plec|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||92 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||The CW|
|Original release||October 3, 2013– August 1, 2018|
|Related shows||The Vampire Diaries|
On May 10, 2017, The CW renewed the series for a fifth season. On July 20, 2017, it was announced by series creator Julie Plec ahead of Comic Con that the series' fifth season would be its last. The final season debuted on April 18, 2018.
The Originals, a spin-off from The Vampire Diaries, centers around three of the Mikaelson siblings: Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies), and Rebekah (Claire Holt). The Mikaelson family is called "the Originals" as they are the first vampires to ever exist. Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson is a descendant of a witch and a werewolf, and his quest to unleash his hybrid nature was detailed in The Vampire Diaries. The backdoor pilot, which aired on April 25, 2013, also revealed that the werewolf Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) is pregnant with Klaus's child. The series begins with the Original siblings returning to the city of New Orleans for the first time since 1919, where a pregnant Hayley has also settled. Having originally built the city, they had been forced to abandon it when fleeing from their vengeful father. In their absence, Klaus's protégé, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), took charge of the city. Klaus resolves that they must take down Marcel and get back the city that once belonged to them. While doing that they must also protect their city from a war brewing between vampires, werewolves, and witches. Over time, new and old friendships are formed, love is in the air, death surrounds them, and the Originals learn more about their own family past. The first season describes how Klaus's mystical child is going to be born and speaks of the threats that the Originals together must keep her safe from. The second season deals with the return of Klaus and his siblings' parents, and the arrival of an aunt who threatens the baby's life. The third season shows the Mikaelsons facing both a prophecy that speaks of their downfall, and the first-sired vampires who have wanted revenge for a millennium. The fourth season jumps ahead five years, with the Mikaelsons returning to New Orleans and having to face a reawakened ancient menace set on destroying anything in its path. The fifth and final season of the series takes place seven years after the fourth season, with Hope now being a teenager at a school for supernatural children, the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson: The self-proclaimed King of New Orleans and the Original Hybrid: half-Original Vampire and half-werewolf. As the son of a witch and a werewolf plus being a vampire by magic, Klaus is one of the most ruthless and feared supernatural beings in history but also has a soft spot for his family. He is the father of Hayley's daughter, Hope, and is the adoptive father of Marcel, also his former protégé. He eventually develops feelings for Cami.
- Daniel Gillies as Elijah Mikaelson: An Original Vampire and Klaus's older maternal half-brother. He is shown to be extremely suave, always sporting a suit, and relatively level-headed compared to Klaus's more heated tendencies. He harbors romantic affections for Hayley.
- Claire Holt as Rebekah Mikaelson (main season 1; special guest star season 2–5): An Original Vampire and Klaus's younger maternal half-sister. She is Klaus's favorite and the youngest of the Mikaelson siblings after the death of Henrik. At one time, she was in a romantic relationship with Marcel. Despite her unwavering love for her family, she desires to find love and start a family of her own, which is complicated by her family name and vampire status. She eventually leaves New Orleans to pursue a simpler life outside of her family. Holt departs the main cast near the end of season 1, but has guest starred sporadically in every season since. Maisie Richardson-Sellers portrayed Rebekah during the second half of season 2 and one episode of season 3, when Rebekah possessed witch Eva Sinclair's body.
- Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley Marshall: Originally a werewolf, later hybrid, who conceived a daughter with Klaus named Hope. She is revealed to be the long-lost Alpha of her werewolf bloodline. Later, she rises to become the Alpha of the entire Crescent pack when the Alphas of all the other bloodlines bow down before her. She is initially reluctant to be involved with the Mikaelsons, but is eventually accepted into the family and accepts them in return. She reciprocates Elijah's romantic feelings, but marries Jackson Kenner in order to unite their packs.
- Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard: A vampire, now enhanced Original Vampire, and former slave. He was turned by Klaus, his adoptive father and former mentor. He has a romantic past with both Rebekah and Cami. His relationship with the Mikaelsons is complicated as a result of his history with them as well as philosophical differences. They are often adversarial as Klaus and Marcel constantly struggle for power over New Orleans. He rescues Davina from being sacrificed and takes her under his wing as his adoptive daughter.
- Daniella Pineda as Sophie Deveraux (main season 1): A powerful witch of the French Quarter.
- Leah Pipes as Camille O'Connell (main seasons 1–3; special guest star season 4–5): A human therapist for Klaus whom he is later affectionate toward, though she was briefly romantically involved with Marcel.
- Danielle Campbell as Davina Claire (main seasons 1–3; special guest star season 4–5): A powerful young witch and Marcel's adoptive daughter who becomes Regent of all witch covens in New Orleans. She doesn't much care for the Mikaelsons and seeks to destroy them with Marcel's help, until she unknowingly falls in love with one.
- Yusuf Gatewood as Vincent Griffith (guest star season 1; main season 2–5): A witch once possessed by Finn, the eldest brother among the Mikaelson siblings. He is the ex-husband of Eva Sinclair, the witch Rebekah possessed. He succeeds Davina as Regent of all witch covens in New Orleans.
- Riley Voelkel as Freya Mikaelson (recurring season 2; main season 3–5): Klaus's long-lost maternal older half-sister, Freya is an immensely powerful and skilled thousand-year-old witch, former immortal, and the eldest of the Mikaelson siblings.
- Danielle Rose Russell as Hope Mikaelson (main season 5), the teen-aged daughter of Klaus and Hayley, and who is an extremely powerful supernatural being as she holds the three-fold lineage of vampire, werewolf, and witch.
- Steven Krueger as Joshua "Josh" Rosza (recurring seasons 1–4; main season 5), a visitor to New Orleans who is soon turned into a vampire. He befriends Davina, and later serves as Marcel's lieutenant.
|First aired||Last aired|
|Pilot||April 25, 2013|
|1||22||October 3, 2013||May 13, 2014|
|2||22||October 6, 2014||May 11, 2015|
|3||22||October 8, 2015||May 20, 2016|
|4||13||March 17, 2017||June 23, 2017|
|5||13||April 18, 2018||August 1, 2018|
On January 11, 2013, it was announced that a backdoor pilot focused on the Originals, starring Joseph Morgan as Klaus and titled The Originals would air sometime in April for a potential series pick-up for the 2013–2014 season. On April 26, 2013, The Originals was confirmed for a full series. This second spin-off attempt will be overseen by Julie Plec, with no involvement by Kevin Williamson. The Originals was officially picked up by The CW on April 26, 2013, for the 2013–14 season. Season one of The Originals was set to premiere on Tuesday, October 15. However, on July 29, 2013, The CW announced that the series premiere would instead air on October 3, 2013, following the fifth-season premiere of The Vampire Diaries in order to attract fans of the series. On October 10, 2013, the CW ordered three additional scripts for the series. On November 11, 2013, the CW decided to order a full season for The Originals.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||TV season||Rank||Avg. viewers
|1||Tuesday 8:00 pm||22||October 3, 2013||2.21||May 13, 2014||1.76||2013–14||149||2.61||1.6/4|
|2||Monday 8:00 pm||22||October 6, 2014||1.37||May 11, 2015||1.19||2014–15||136||2.03||0.9/3|
||22||October 8, 2015||0.89||May 20, 2016||0.85||2015–16||145||1.96||0.6/2|
|4||Friday 8:00 pm||13||March 17, 2017||1.05||June 23, 2017||0.80||2016–17||141||TBD||TBD|
|5||Wednesday 9:00 pm||13||April 18, 2018||0.97||August 1, 2018||0.86||2017–18||151||1.89||0.6|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2014||Emmy Awards||Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series||Colleen Labaff, Kimberley Spiteri||Nominated|||
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite Actor in a New Series||Joseph Morgan||Won|
|Favorite New TV Drama||The Originals||Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|||
|Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Claire Holt||Nominated|
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|||
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Liplock||Joseph Morgan & Leah Pipes||Nominated|||
|Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|||
|2018||American Society of Cinematographers Awards||Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Regular Series for Commercial Television||Kurt Jones (Episode: "Bag of Cobras")||Nominated|||
|People's Choice Awards||The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show of 2018||The Originals||Pending|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Fantasy/Sci-Fi Series||The Originals||Nominated|||
|Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|
The Originals: The AwakeningEdit
The Originals: The Awakening is a webseries. The series explores the character Kol Mikaelson and his relationships with his siblings. Flashing back to 1914, Kol is on a quest to form an alliance with the witches of the French Quarter. Awakening gives answers to some questions about Kol's past, including the origins of his rivalry with his family and the unique backstory he has with the New Orleans witches. Each webisode is approximately two minutes long.
On January 27, 2015, the first book in a series of novels based on the show was released. The Rise, The Loss, and The Resurrection make up the three novels in The Originals series written by Julie Plec.
In August 2017, it was announced that a spin-off focusing on Hope Mikaelson, the daughter of Klaus and Hayley, was in development. Julie Plec, co-creator of The Vampire Diaries and creator of The Originals, wrote the script and is credited with creating the series. In January 2018, it was revealed that filming for the pilot would go into production in the second quarter of 2018. It was announced in March 2018 that the spin-off was in fact ordered to pilot, but instead of a traditional pilot, Plec would be delivering a fifteen-minute pilot presentation of the series to The CW. It was also announced that The Vampire Diaries veteran Matt Davis would star in the project along with Aria Shahghasemi, Quincy Fouse, Jenny Boyd, and Kaylee Bryant. Shahghasemi will debut in the fifth season of The Originals as Hope's friend Landon.
On May 11, 2018, it was announced that the spin-off, titled Legacies, was ordered to series for the 2018–19 season. The show will center around "a 17-year-old Hope, along with Alaric's twin daughters, and other young witches, vampires, and werewolves" as they come of age at the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2013). "The CW Moves Up 'The Originals' Premiere to Follow 'The Vampire Diaries' + 'Supernatural' Gets Earlier Start". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Petski, Denise (May 10, 2017). "'The Originals' & 'iZombie' Renewed By The CW". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Otterson, Joe (July 20, 2017). "'The Originals' to End After Season 5 on The CW". Variety. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- @julieplec (July 20, 2017). "An announcement..... #TheOriginals" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "The CW Midseason Schedule Update". The Futon Critic. March 30, 2018. Retrieved March 30, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (February 7, 2017). "The Originals Season 4 Promo Features [Spoiler]'s Shocking 'Return'". TVLine. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Danielle Campbell Is Returning to The Originals For a Visit". E! Online. April 24, 2017. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 11, 2013). "The CW Orders Backdoor Pilot for 'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff, 'The Originals'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Philiana Ng (January 11, 2013). "'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals' in the Works at CW". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- Ausiello, Michael (April 26, 2013). "The CW Shows Renewed 2013 — 'Hart of Dixie,' 'Beauty and the Beast'". TVLine. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Tim Kenneally (June 24, 2013). "The CW sets fall premieres: 'Tomorrow People,' 'The Originals'". Chicago Tribune.
- Gelman, Vlada (October 10, 2013). "The CW Orders Additional Scripts for The Originals, Tomorrow People and Reign". TV Line. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 11, 2013). "CW Gives Full-Season Orders To Freshman Series 'The Originals', 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Reign'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Matt Webb Mitovich. "Claire Holt Quits 'The Originals' — Rebekah's Last Episode Season 1 - TVLine". TVLine. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "The Originals at PaleyFest: The Cast Talks Elijah's Undoing, Klaroline, Whether Rebekah Will Return, and More". TV.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (October 4, 2013). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory', 'Grey's Anatomy' & 'The Originals' Adjusted Up; 'Parks And Recreation', 'Welcome to the Family', 'Sean Saves the World', 'Michael J. Fox Show', & 'Parenthood' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (May 14, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' & 'The Goldbergs' Adjusted Up; 'The Originals', 'Supernatural' & 'About A Boy' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "Full 2013-2014 TV Season Series Rankings". Deadline Hollywood. May 22, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (October 16, 2014). "Revised Monday, October 6 Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'The Voice', 'Scorpion', 'NCIS: Los Angeles' Adjusted Up; 'Dancing With The Stars' & 'Castle' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 18, 2014. Retrieved October 17, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 12, 2015). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'The Following' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 21, 2015). "Full 2014-15 TV Season Series Rankings: Football & 'Empire' Ruled". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (October 9, 2015). "Thursday final ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'How to Get Away with Murder' adjusted up, low CW premieres hold". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (May 23, 2016). "Friday final ratings: 'Shark Tank' finale adjusts up, 'Originals' and 'Masters of Illusion' adjust down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 26, 2016). "Full 2015-16 TV Season Series Rankings: 'Blindspot', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Quantico' Lead Newcomers". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (March 20, 2017). "'Originals' premiere and others hold, final NCAA Tournament numbers: Friday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (June 26, 2017). "'MacGyver' rerun adjusts up, 'Hawaii Five-0' and 'Riverdale' down: Friday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (April 19, 2018). "'Empire' and 'The Voice' adjust up: Wednesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (August 2, 2018). "'The Goldbergs' reruns adjusts down: Wednesday final ratings". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 22, 2018). "2017-18 TV Series Ratings Rankings: NFL Football, 'Big Bang' Top Charts". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- "Emmy Nominations". Emmy Awards. July 10, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "People's Choice Awards 2014: The winners list". CNN. January 9, 2014. Archived from the original on March 30, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (August 10, 2014). "Teen Choice Awards: The Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Variety Staff (August 16, 2015). "Teen Choice Awards 2015 Winners: Full List". Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Crist, Allison; Nordyke, Kimberly (July 31, 2016). "Teen Choice Awards: Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on January 6, 2017.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (August 13, 2017). "Teen Choice Awards: Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on August 14, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "32nd Annual ASC Awards - February 17. 2018". American Society of Cinematographers. February 17, 2018. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- "2018 People's Choice Awards: Complete List of Nominations". E! News. September 5, 2018. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- "Teen Choice Awards: Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. August 12, 2018. Archived from the original on August 13, 2018. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- "The Originals: The Rise: Julie Plec: 9780373788897: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "Originals Series". barnesandnoble.com.
- "Development Update: Wednesday, August 2". The Futon Critic. August 2, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Ducote, Jonathan. "The Originals Spinoff - Ordered to Pilot?". The TV Ratings Guide. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 6, 2018). "'TVD/The Originals' Universe Spinoff: Matt Davis & Danielle Rose Russell Lead Cast of Hope-Centric Series In Works At the CW". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Highfill, Samantha (May 11, 2018). "The CW picks up Legacies, the Hope-centric Originals spin-off". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 15, 2018.