The Halo Effect
|Genres||Melodic death metal|
|Spinoff of||In Flames|
The Halo Effect was founded by five former members of the Swedish metal band In Flames. Jesper Strömblad was a founding member of In Flames in 1990, and in 1993 Mikael Stanne (who founded the band Dark Tranquility and remains its sole founding member today) worked as a session vocalist on In Flames' demo tape and debut album. Niclas Engelin and Peter Iwers joined In Flames in 1997, and Daniel Svensson joined In Flames in 1998 after Niclas Engelin quit. Subsequently, Strömblad, Iwers, and Svensson played together in In Flames for over 10 years by the time Strömblad quit that band in 2010.
The Halo Effect coalesced in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic, and according to press releases, the motivating idea behind the band was to return to the roots of the 1990s "Gothenburg sound" that pioneered the melodic death metal genre. According to an interview on Robb Flynn's No F'n Regrets podcast, the band's name comes from the song off Rush's album Clockwork Angels.
The band released their debut single, "Shadowminds" on 9 November 2021 ahead of their debut album, Days of the Lost, released on 12 August, 2022. To support the album, the band toured Europe and the UK with Amon Amarth and Machine Head in September and October.
- Niclas Engelin – lead guitar (2021–present)
- Peter Iwers – bass guitar (2021–present)
- Mikael Stanne – lead vocals (2021–present)
- Jesper Strömblad – rhythm guitar (2021–present)
- Daniel Svensson – drums (2021–present)
Current live members
- Patrik Jensen – rhythm guitar (2022–present)
- "Shadowminds" (2021)
- "Feel What I Believe" (2022)
- "Days of the Lost" (2022)
- "The Needless End" (2022)
- Kennelty, Greg (30 October 2021). "Five '90s IN FLAMES Members Launch New Band THE HALO EFFECT". Metal Injection. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- "THE HALO EFFECT Sign To Nuclear Blast | HEAVY Magazine". 2 November 2021. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- "The Halo Effect - bio". Nuclear Blast. Retrieved 20 April 2022.
Knowing each other from an early age during the late 80's and then playing together in different constellations during the 90's, they came to dominate the Metal scene in Gothenburg [...] This was also the initial thought behind The Halo Effect - to go back to the roots and explore what the groundbreaking metal sounded like then. And add the experience and skills of what the members could bring to the table now. The result is an exceptional album and real tour de force to fans of melodeath where the echoes of the Gothenburg Sound is evident.
- Robb Flynn (No F'n Regrets podcast) (10 December 2021). "MIKAEL & PETER (THE HALO EFFECT) | NFR #110". YouTube.
- "THE HALO EFFECT Feat. Former IN FLAMES Members: Debut Single 'Shadowminds' Now Available". Blabbermouth.net. 9 November 2021. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- "Former in Flames Members' The Halo Effect Release Debut Single 'Shadowminds'". MetalSucks. 9 November 2021. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- "THE HALO EFFECT Feat. Former IN FLAMES Members: 'Days Of The Lost' Single Available, Debut Album Announced". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 13 April 2022. Retrieved 13 April 2022.
- "THE HALO EFFECT - announce album release for debut "Days Of The Lost"!". Nuclear Blast. Retrieved 20 April 2022.
- "Veckolista Album, vecka 33". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 19 August 2022.
- "Albumit 33/2022" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat. Retrieved 21 August 2022.