The General (1998 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The General is a British-Irish crime film directed by John Boorman about Dublin crime boss Martin Cahill, who pulled off several daring heists in the early 1980s and attracted the attention of the Garda Síochána, IRA, and Ulster Volunteer Force. The film was shot in 1997 and released in 1998. Brendan Gleeson plays Cahill, Adrian Dunbar plays his friend Noel Curley, and Jon Voight plays Inspector Ned Kenny.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Boorman|
|Produced by||John Boorman|
|Written by||John Boorman|
|Based on||The General|
by Paul Williams
|Music by||Richie Buckley|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
|Box office||$1.2 million (US)|
- Brendan Gleeson as Martin Cahill
- Adrian Dunbar as Noel Curley
- Sean McGinley as Gary
- Maria Doyle Kennedy as Frances
- Angeline Ball as Tina
- Jon Voight as Inspector Ned Kenny
- Eanna MacLiam as Jimmy
- Tom Murphy as Willie Byrne
- Paul Hickey as Anthony
- Tommy O'Neill as Paddy
- John O'Toole as Shea
- Ciarán Fitzgerald as Tommy
- Ned Dennehy as Gay
- Vinny Murphy as Harry (as Vinnie Murphy)
- Roxanna Williams as Orla
Director Boorman was himself one of Cahill's burglary victims. This event is dramatized in a scene in which Cahill breaks into a home, stealing a gold record and pilfering a watch from the wrist of a sleeping woman. The gold record, which Cahill later breaks in disgust after discovering it is not made of gold, was awarded for the score of Deliverance, Boorman's best-known film.
Filming was at various locations around Dublin, including South Lotts and Ranelagh.
The film holds an approval rating of 81% based on 48 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Taste of Cinema considered this as the second greatest performance in Gleeson's cinematic career, with Calvary (2014) being first..
- "The General (1998)". British Film Institute. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "The General (1998)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Festival de Cannes: The General". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "The General (1998)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Lyng, Eoghan (2018). "The Ten Best Brendan Glesson Performances" Check
|url=value (help). Taste of Cinema. Retrieved 2018-05-12.