This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (June 2016)
The Edge Media Group is the publisher of business and financial publications in Malaysia and Singapore. Its portfolio includes:
- The Edge Malaysia – a business and investment weekly.
|Type||Daily & Weekly newspaper|
|Owner(s)||The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd|
|Headquarters||Level 3, Menara KLK, No. 1, Jalan PJU 7/6, Mutiara Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan|
Available in both print and digital formats, The Edge Malaysia hit the streets in 1994.
- The Edge Singapore – Launched in 2002, The Edge Singapore is available in both print and digital formats and has regular pullouts on property, lifestyle, entrepreneurs and personal wealth.
- The Edge Financial Daily – Published Monday to Friday in Malaysia
- BFM Radio – Malaysia's only independent radio station owned by edge communications focused on business news and current affairs.
On 24 July 2015, the Malaysian government suspended the publishing license of the Edge media group's two print publications, the Edge Weekly and the Edge Financial News, alleging that their coverage of the 1Malaysia Development Berhad threatened the country's national security and public order. The Edge's print publications was suspended for three months, beginning on 27 July 2015. The suspension of The Edge newspapers was criticized by several opposition politicians, the Institute of Journalists Malaysia, and business leaders including the CIMB Group chairman Nazir Razak and the Air Asia executive Tony Fernandes. On 27 July, The Edge filed a judicial review challenging the ban.
The Edge Media Group consists of the Edge Communications Sdn Bhd, which publishes the following publications: The Edge Malaysia, The Edge Financial Daily, Personal Money, and haven. The Edge also publishes a Singaporean-based weekly publication called The Edge Singapore. In addition, The Edge Media Group also consists of the website www.theedgemarkets.com, the online newspaper Malaysian Insider, the online Edge Review, the trading website www.EdgeWiz.com, the radio station BFM, the art gallery The Edge Galerie, and the events management company Pepper Events.
The Edge Financial DailyEdit
Launched in 2007 by The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd, The Edge Financial Daily acts as a standalone daily business paper which complements its weekly sister publication. Published Mondays to Fridays, The Edge Financial Daily provides business news reporting and articles. It is distributed mainly in the Klang Valley as well as other key market centres.
The Edge Malaysia is audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulations. As of January 2014, it has an approximate circulation of 22,572. The Edge Malaysia caters to corporate executives and the general public with interest in the Malaysian financial market and is widely distributed nationwide via newsstands.
- "Malaysia suspends newspaper over prejudicial 1MDB reports". Asia Times. 24 July 2015. Retrieved 16 Jan 2020.
- Ng, Jason (25 July 2015). "About Us". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Lift the suspensions of The Edge Malaysia and The Edge Financial Daily". The Malay Mail. 25 July 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Malaysian PM Najib's brother condemns The Edge's suspension". AsiaOne. 25 July 2015. Archived from the original on July 28, 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Malaysian media The Edge files for judicial review over ban with bare success". The Straits Times. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "About Us". The Edge Markets. 2014-10-07. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "January 2014 to June 2014 ABC Circulation Figures" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations Malaysia. Retrieved 29 July 2015.