The Boy in the Dress (musical)
The Boy in the Dress is an upcoming musical with music and lyrics by Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers, and a book by Mark Ravenhill. The musical is based on the 2008 novel of the same name, written by David Walliams. The novel told the story of a twelve-year-old boy who enjoys cross-dressing, and the reactions of his family and friends.
|The Boy in the Dress|
|Basis||The Boy in the Dress|
by David Walliams
|Premiere||8 November 2019|
Royal Shakespeare Theatre,
The musical is based on the 2008 novel The Boy in the Dress, which was written by David Walliams, with illustration by Quentin Blake. The novel was previously adapted into a BBC television short film in 2014.
In February 2018, Gregory Doran artistic director of the Royal Shakespeare Company confirmed that the RSC were working with David Walliams on an undisclosed project. In May 2018, the show was officially confirmed and is expected to receive its world premiere in 2019 at Stratford-upon-Avon for the festive period. The show has a book by playwright Mark Ravenhill and will feature direction by Gregory Doran. The musical will feature an original score and lyrics by Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers.
The musical will begin previews at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon on 8 November 2019, with press night on 27 November 2019, running until 8 March 2020. The production will be directed by Gregory Doran, designed by Robert Jones, choreographed by Aletta Collins, lighting designed by Mark Henderson and sound designed by Paul Groothuis and Tom Marshall.
On 22 August 2019 the initial adult casting was announced including Rufus Hound as Dad, Natasha Lewis as Darvesh’s Mum, Forbes Masson as Mr Hawtrey and Irvine Iqbal as Raj. The complete casting was announced on 9 September 2019.
Cast and charactersEdit
|Darvesh’s Mum||Natasha Lewis|
|Mr Hawtrey||Forbes Masson|
|Miss Windsor||Charlotte Wakefield|
Kassian Shae Ahktar
Arjun Singh Khakh
|Maudlin Street Captain||David Birch|
|Big Mac||Max Gill|
|Miss Bresslaw||Christina Modestou|
|St Kenneth’s Captain||Jamie Tyler|
|Swing||Jack Anthony Smart|
- Salter, Jessica (7 August 2008). "David Walliams in Bond Street as a 'laydee'". London: Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "The Boy in the Dress, Sunday Times review". thetimes.co.uk. The Times. 26 October 2008. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "David Walliams is teaming up with Robbie Williams for The Boy in the Dress musical". digitalspy.com. Digital Spy. 25 May 2018. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "The BBC adaptation of David Walliams's book was fizzy and festive as anything". telegraph.co.uk. The Telegraph. 26 December 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "RSC's Greg Doran on gender, race, technology and those Walliams rumours…". stratford-herald.com. Stratford Herald. 8 February 2018. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Robbie Williams and David Walliams team up for The Boy In The Dress musical with Royal Shakespeare Company". iNews. 2018-05-25. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Robbie Williams writes music for play of David Walliams' book". Mail Online. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Royal Shakespeare Company to Debut Musical Adaptation of The Boy in the Dress". playbill.com. Playbill. 28 January 2019. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "First adult casting announced for The Boy in the Dress | Royal Shakespeare Company". www.rsc.org.uk. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "Latest Press Releases | Royal Shakespeare Company". www.rsc.org.uk. Retrieved 2019-10-21.