Texas High School
Texas High School (THS) is a public high school in Texarkana, Texas, United States. It is part of the Texarkana Independent School District and is classified as a 5A school by the University Interscholastic League. In 2015, it was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
|Texas High School|
4001 Summerhill Road
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Tomorrow’s future at work today|
|School district||Texarkana Independent School District|
|NCES School ID||484248004854|
|Teaching staff||145.15 (on an FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.46|
|Color(s)||Orange and White|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class AAAAA|
Sullivan Performing Arts Center of the Texarkana Independent School District
The first classes were held in 1889 for grades 7 through 11 and the first graduating class consisted of three students in 1890. In 1965 a $3,000,000-bond was issued for a new high school on Kennedy Lane, just west of Summerhill Road, was approved. The facility was designed by noted architects Caudill Rowlett Scott and local architects Moore and Thomas. In 1969, the architecture firm was awarded the Outstanding School Architecture Award by the Texas Association of School Administrators and School Boards for its design.
- Baseball - 2009(4A)
- Football - 2002(4A/D1)
- Boys Swimming - 2003(4A)
- Boys Track - 2014(4A)
- Marching Band: Regional champions(2017),Regional Concert band Sweepstakes (2018)
- Under the 2012-2014 football University Interscholastic League reclassification, Texas High competes in District 14 of classification 5A.
- The school won the 4A Division I state championship in 2002 for football, and won its first 4A state championship on June 11, 2009 for its baseball.
- Joe Anderson, former professional football player
- Miller Barber, professional golfer
- Erik Condra, NHL player
- Carl Finch, guitarist, keyboardist, accordionist, vocalist, songwriter, and record producer
- Cobi Hamilton, NFL player
- Slade Heathcott, MLB player
- Jack Jenkins, NFL player
- J. D. Kimmel, NFL player
- Gary Kusin, entrepreneur
- Ryan Mallett, NFL player
- Julie Meadows, writer, web designer and former pornographic actress
- Rick Minter, NFL player
- Craig Monroe, MLB player
- Doyle Nix, NFL player
- Jerry Norton, NFL player
- Ross Perot, 1947, businessman and former Presidential candidate, named TISD Distinguished Alumni in 2009
- Collin Raye, country music singer
- Bill Rogers, professional golfer
- Marjorie Scardino, business executive
- Aysel Teymurzadeh, singer
- Nathan Vasher, NFL player
- "Search for Public Schools - TEXAS H S (484248004854)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- "2015 Accountability Rating System" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 10, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "Caudill Rowlett Scott Awards" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on June 18, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2009.
- The Athletics Department Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- UIL Baseball Archives Archived 2013-12-10 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- Lone Star Football Network Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- UIL Boys Swimming Archives Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- UIL Boys Track Archives Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- UIL State Football Champions Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- Louie Avery (June 11, 2009). "Texas High wins first-ever state baseball championship". Texarkana Gazette. Archived from the original on June 17, 2009. Retrieved June 12, 2009.
- Texas High School Football Hall of Fame Archived 2009-12-07 at the Wayback Machine
- "Perot named TISD Distinguished Alumni". Texarkana Gazette. September 17, 2009. Archived from the original on September 24, 2009. Retrieved September 17, 2009.
- "Texarkana Independent School District Names H. Ross Perot as 2009 Distinguished Alumni" (PDF). Texarkana Independent School District. September 17, 2009. Retrieved October 21, 2010.