Terry O'Neill (photographer)
Terence Patrick O'Neill CBE (30 July 1938 – 16 November 2019) was a British photographer. He gained renown documenting the fashions, styles, and celebrities of the 1960s. O'Neill's photographs capture his subjects candidly or in unconventional settings.
Terence Patrick O'Neill
30 July 1938
Romford, east London
|Died||16 November 2019(aged 81)|
Faye Dunaway (1983–1987)
His work has been featured in numerous exhibitions. He was awarded an Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society in 2004 and the Society's Centenary Medal in 2011. His work is held in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery, London
O'Neill began his career working in a photographic unit for an airline at London's Heathrow Airport. During this time, he photographed a sleeping figure in a waiting area who, by happenstance, was revealed to be Britain's Home Secretary. O'Neill thereafter found further employment on Fleet Street with The Daily Sketch in 1959. His first professional job was photographing Laurence Olivier.
During the 1960s, in addition to photographing contemporary celebrities such as Judy Garland, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, he also photographed members of the British royal family and prominent politicians, showing a more natural and human side to these subjects than had usually been portrayed.
O'Neill's photographs of Elton John are among his most well-known. A selection of them appeared in the 2008 book Eltonography. Also considered among his most famous images are a series of American actress Faye Dunaway (his girlfriend at the time) at dawn on 29 March 1977, lounging next to the swimming pool at the Beverly Hills Hotel the morning after winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for Network, with several newspapers scattered around her and her Oscar statuette prominently shown on a table beside her breakfast tray. The series was photographed in both colour and black and white.
O'Neill had a longtime relationship with Faye Dunaway; they were married from 1983 to 1986. Their son, Liam Dunaway O'Neill, was born in 1980. In 2003, he was quoted in the U.S. tabloid magazine Star as saying Liam was adopted and not their biological son, contrary to Dunaway's public assertions. O'Neill later married Laraine Ashton, a former model agency executive.
- Terry O'Neill: Celebrity, National Portrait Gallery, London, September 2003 – March 2004
- Getty Image Gallery, the Village, Westfield London, London, July 2009. A retrospective.
- San Francisco Art Exchange, San Francisco, CA, July–August in 2009. Photographs of Elton John and Frank Sinatra.
- Terry O'Neill, Reworked, 2010. Six artists were given their choice of the photographer's imagery to re-work as they wished.
- Leeds Gallery, Munro House, Leeds, UK, September–October 2011. A retrospective.
- Ransom Art Gallery, London, September 2016. O'Neill's David Bowie photographs coinciding with the publication of Bowie By O'Neill. Travelled to Mouche Gallery, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, October–November 2011.
- Iconic Images Gallery, London, 2018. Rare and Unseen
- Legends, 1987
- Celebrity, 2003
- Sinatra: Frank and Friendly- A Unique Photographic Memoir of a Legend, 2007
- Eltonography, 2008
- All About Bond, 2012
- Terry O’Neill, 2014
- SINATRA, 2014
- Terry O’Neill’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Album, 2014
- Two Days That Rocked the World: Elton John Live at Dodger Stadium, 2015
- Breaking Stones 1963 – 1965: A Band on the Brink of Superstardom, 2016
- Bowie by O’Neill (2016), 2016
- Terry O’Neill : Every Picture Tells a Story, 2016
- When Ziggy Played The Marquee, 2017
- Led Zeppelin Live : 1975 - 1977, 2018
- Terry O'Neill: Rare & Unseen, 2018
- Bowie by O'Neill: The definitive collection with unseen images, 2019
- Elton John by Terry O'Neill: The definitive portrait, with unseen images, 2019
- Always Audrey: Six Iconic Photographers. One Legendary Star., 2019
Honours and awardsEdit
- Hobbs, Thomas (6 August 2019). "Terry O'Neill on his best Bowie shoots: 'David never needed coaxing'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- O'Hagan, Sean (23 August 2011). "How one photograph can turn a musician into a rock star". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Honorary Fellowships (HonFRPS)". Royal Photographic Society. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Error - RPS". www.rps.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- Benedictus, Leo (18 December 2008). "Terry O'Neill's best shot". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- Greenstreet, Rosanna (28 January 2017). "Photographer Terry O'Neill: 'I was invited to Sharon Tate's house the night she was murdered'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- [dead link]
- "About the Art", background information published by the San Francisco Art Exchange. Accessed 28 January 2007.
- O'Neill, Terry "Oscar Ennui" Archived 31 January 2013 at Archive.today (1977) Rights owned by Getty Images.
- O'Neill, Terry "Faye and Oscar" (1977) Image from print owned by Photographers Gallery, Los Angeles.
- Mommie Dearest (1981), IMDb profile. Accessed 28 January 2007
- Aria (1987), IMDb profile. Accessed 28 January 2007
- "Dunaway's Son Liam Adopted, Says Ex", ContactMusic news index, 11 March 2003. Accessed 28 January 2007.
- Husband, Stuart (25 January 2004). "This much I know: Terry O'Neill, photographer". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- staff, Guardian (17 November 2019). "Photographer of swinging 60s Terry O'Neill dies aged 81". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Iconic photographer Terry O'Neill dies aged 81". Sky News. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "Terry O'Neill: Celebrity - National Portrait Gallery". www.npg.org.uk. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- Getty Image Gallery presents Terry O’Neill: Behind The Scene Archived 26 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine, Westfield London. Accessed 22 June 2009.
- "San Francisco Art Exchange : Gallery of The Popular Image". www.sfae.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- ITV, UK; This Morning; Terry O'Neill speaks about the exhibition & contents; 18 April 2010
- "Photographer's exhibition in city". 14 September 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Terry O'Neill: 50 Years at the Top". The Gallery at 164. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "artnet". www.artnet.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "EXHIBITION : Rare & Unseen, by Terry O'Neill - Iconic Images". iconicimages.net. 3 October 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "No. 62666". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 June 2019. p. B9.
- "Terry O'Neill - National Portrait Gallery". www.npg.org.uk. Retrieved 17 November 2019.