Teradata Corporation is a provider of database and analytics-related software, products, and services. The company was founded in 1979 in Brentwood, California, as a collaboration between researchers at Caltech and Citibank's advanced technology group. Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data. Teradata leverages all the data, all the time, so you can analyze anything and deploy anywhere to deliver analytics that matter.
|Headquarters||San Diego, California|
|Oliver Ratzesberger, President and CEO|
|Products||Teradata Vantage, Teradata Vantage as-a-service|
|Revenue||US$2.1 billion (2018)|
|$43 million (2018)|
|$30 million (2018)|
Number of employees
History and backgroundEdit
Teradata is an enterprise software company that develops and sells database analytics software subscriptions. It operates in North and Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
Teradata is headquartered in San Diego, California, and has additional major U.S. locations in Atlanta and San Francisco, where its data center research and development is housed. It is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol TDC. The company reported $2.1 billion in revenue, with a net income of $30 million, and 43 million in operating income as of December 31, 2018. Oliver Ratzesberger was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in January 2019.
The concept of Teradata grew from research at California Institute of Technology . In 1979, the company was incorporated in Brentwood, California by Jack E. Shemer, Philip M. Neches, Walter E. Muir, Jerold R. Modes, William P. Worth, Carroll Reed and David Hartke. Teradata, named for the ability to manage terabytes of data, incorporates on July 13, 1979, in a Brentwood CA garage where design and patent work to begin in earnest. In 1989, Teradata Corporation partners with NCR Corporation to build the next generation of database computers.  In September 1991, AT&T Corporation acquired NCR Corporation, which announced the acquisition of Teradata for about $250 million in December that year. Teradata built the first system, over 1 terabyte, for Wal-Mart in 1992.
NCR acquired Strategic Technologies & Systems in 1999, and appointed Stephen Brobst as chief technology officer of Teradata Solutions Group. In 2000, NCR acquired Ceres Integrated Solutions and its customer relationship management software for $90 million, as well as Stirling Douglas Group and its demand chain management software. Teradata acquired financial management software from DecisionPoint in 2005. In January 2007, NCR announced Teradata would become an independent public company. The new company's shares started trading in October of that year.
The company has reinvented its business strategy to align to its growing customer needs. It’s now selling data analytics software as a recurring subscription, known as software as a service. In the past, Teradata, which currently employs more than 950 workers in San Diego, sold its platform as a software license — typically a large capital expense — that ran on a pre-configured hardware appliance installed in a data warehouse.
Acquisitions and divestituresEdit
Teradata has acquired several companies since becoming an independent public company in 2008. In March 2008, Teradata acquired professional services company Claraview, which previously had spun out software provider Clarabridge. Teradata acquired column-oriented DBMS vendor Kickfire in August 2010, followed by the marketing software company Aprimo for about $550 million in December. In March 2011, the company acquired Aster Data Systems for about $263 million. Teradata acquired email direct marketing company eCircle in May 2012, which was merged into the Aprimo business.
In 2014, Teradata acquired the assets of Revelytix, a provider of information management products and for a reported $50 million. In September, Teradata acquired Hadoop service firm Think Big Analytics. In December, Teradata acquired RainStor, a company specializing in online data archiving on Hadoop. Teradata acquired Appoxxee, a mobile marketing software as a service provider, for about $20 million in January 2015, followed by the Netherlands-based digital marketing company FLXone in September.
In July 2016, the marketing applications division, using the Aprimo brand, was sold to private equity firm Marlin Equity Partners for about $90 million. Aprimo moved its headquarters to Chicago and is now led by CEO John Stammen. Marlin immediately bought Revenew Inc., which offers through-channel marketing automation software, and merged it into the Aprimo business. In March 2017, Aprimo bought Belgium-based ADAM Software, which offered Digital Asset Management solutions. Teradata acquired Big Data Partnership, a service company based in the UK, on July 21, 2016. In July 2017, Teradata acquired StackIQ, maker of the Stacki software.
Technology and productsEdit
Teradata Vantage (2018)Edit
Teradata Vantage, their pervasive data intelligence platform, deploys on-premise, to the cloud, or as a hybrid model. Vantage consists of various analytics engines on a core relational database, including its MPP engine, the Aster graph database, and a machine learning engine. Spark and TensorFlow engines are slated to be added. The idea is to let users access and analyze all their data without having to learn a new tool or language or worry about where data is located. 
Vantage provides access to descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics to enable autonomous decision making. Vantage also has machine learning and visualization functions which can be deployed across public clouds, on-premises, and commodity infrastructure. Vantage provides storage and analysis for multi-structured data, including JSON, BSON, AVRO, CSV and XML formats. 
Teradata and the future of analyticsEdit
Teradata coined the phrase ‘4D analytics’, which aims to provide advanced functionality in edge computing applications, while making IoT edge computing faster. The framework combines customer analytics with geospatial, operational, temporal and time-series data. 4D analytics can be integrated into a company’s existing analytics platform, making it easier to combine operational and customer analytics and enabling customers with enhanced IoT analytics use cases. It is also available in the cloud, unlocking the ability to change deployment environments as business needs evolve. 
Artificial Intelligence has been made simpler as well, thanks to machine learning, graph engine capabilities as well as SQL engine functions that one can use to drive machine learning algorithm.
- "The History of Teradata". Teradata.com. Teradata. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "Teradata 2018 Annual Report" (PDF). February 28, 2019. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- "Xconomy: Teradata Names Oliver Ratzesberger as New CEO". Xconomy. 2019-01-15. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "Teradata making room for 275 additional employees in San Diego as part of headquarters move". San Diego Union-Tribune. 2018-09-15. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- Grimes, Seth (March 20, 2008). "Teradata has Acquired BI/DW Firm Claraview". InformationWeek. Archived from the original on October 8, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Kanaracus, Chris (August 10, 2010). "Teradata buys analytics vendor Kickfire". InfoWorld. ISSN 0199-6649. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Kanaracus, Chris (August 10, 2010). "Teradata quietly scoops up Kickfire". Computerworld. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Prickett Morgan, Timothy (December 22, 2010). "Teradata eats Aprimo for $550m". The Register. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (April 9, 2011). "IT and Marketing: How Digital Media's Changing the Relationship". InformationWeek. Archived from the original on April 11, 2011. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (March 3, 2011). "Teradata snaps up Aster Data for $263m". The Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Vizard, Mike (September 22, 2011). "Diversity Comes to Data Management". IT Business Edge. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Henschen, Doug (May 2, 2012). "Teradata Acquires eCircle for Social, Mobile Marketing Push". InformationWeek. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- Kanaracus, Chris (July 22, 2014). "Teradata acquires assets of Hadapt, Revelytix for big data". PC World. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Keohane, Dennis (July 16, 2014). "Hadapt acquired by Teradata, will lead to more employees in Boston". The Boston Globe. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Natalie Gagliordi (September 28, 2015). "Facebook and Teradata on Apache Presto and the disruption of open source". ZDNet. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (September 3, 2014). "Teradata Buys Think Big for Big Data Consulting". Information Week. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Deutscher, Maria (December 17, 2014). "Teradata acquires RainStor to super-charge Hadoop archiving". Silicon Angle. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Lunden, Ingrid (January 3, 2015). "Teradata Buys App Marketing Platform Appoxee for $20-25M, Sets Up Israeli R&D Center". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Nelson, Jess (October 19, 2015). "Teradata Updates Marketing Cloud; Acquires DMP FLXone". Email Marketing Daily. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Council, Jared (July 20, 2016). "Aprimo getting new life under new ownership, old name". Indianapolis Business Journal. ISSN 0274-4929. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Council, Jared (April 26, 2016). "Teradata selling Aprimo unit at $435M discount". Indianapolis Business Journal. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Twig, Tara (July 20, 2016) "Stammen Named CEO of Aprimo" Inside Indiana Business. Retrieved August 31, 2018http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/32487896/john-stammen-named-ceo-of-aprimo-chicago
- "Marlin buys Revenew Inc - PE Hub". PE Hub. 2016-07-21. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Aprimo acquires Belgium-based ADAM Software". Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- O'Hear, Steve (July 25, 2016). "Big data company Teradata acquires UK's Big Data Partnership". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Bigelow, Bruce V. (July 13, 2017). "Teradata Acquires San Diego's StackIQ to Strengthen Cloud Business". Xconomy. Retrieved September 10, 2017.
- "New Teradata Focuses on Answers, Not Analytics". Datanami. 2018-10-09. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "New Teradata Focuses on Answers, Not Analytics". Datanami. 2018-10-09. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- Deoras, Srishti (2018-04-19). "Teradata Launches Industry's First 4D Analytics. What Is It?". Analytics India Magazine. Retrieved 2019-04-18.