The following is the full syntax used for placing this template on a talk page:
- class – a rating of the article's quality; see the quality scale for more details.
- importance – a rating of the article's quality; see the importance scale for more details.
- attention – "yes" if the article is extremely low quality and requires the attention of experienced editors.
- auto – used by bots if the article has been assessed automatically
- needs-infobox – "yes" if the article requires an infobox
- small – "yes" if the banner should be rendered in its miniature size; this should be used sparingly and only on crowded talk pages for the time being.
- Contemporary History – "yes" if the Contemporary History task force applies
- Contemporary history-importance – see "importance" parameter above