Edwin Charles Ernest Lowe
1 November 1920
|Died||1 May 2011 (aged 90)|
|Other names||Whispering Ted Lowe|
|Known for||Pot Black|
Life and careerEdit
Born in Lambourn, Berkshire, Lowe was general manager of London's Leicester Square Hall, the home of professional billiards and snooker. He got his break one day when the BBC's regular commentator, Raymond Glendenning, succumbed to laryngitis.
Lowe became the commentator for the snooker television show Pot Black from 1969 and went on to become the "voice of snooker" and led the commentary in many tournaments. He also commentated in what is generally regarded as snooker's greatest final, that between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor in the 1985 World Snooker Championship.
Lowe uttered the occasional on-air gaffe, one of his most famous quotes being, "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." He once told viewers that Fred Davis, struggling to rest one leg on the edge of the table in order to reach a long shot, "is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting his leg over".
Lowe retired after the 1996 World Snooker Championship final, although he briefly joined in the commentary for the 2005 World Championship final between Matthew Stevens and Shaun Murphy, which Murphy won.
Recalling Lowe after his death, seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry, who was once described by Lowe as the "wonder bairn of Scotland", said: "I remember playing Junior Pot Black, I was only 14 and he was a complete gentleman. Me and my father were down there and he was so nice to us."
- ""The New Year Honours: On a winning streak", The Independent (London), 30 December 1995". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Ted Lowe". The Daily Telegraph. London. 2 May 2011. p. 27. Archived from the original on 14 May 2019. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "'Whispering' Ted Lowe dies". Herald Sun. Melbourne. 2 May 2011.
- Oakes, Keily (19 April 2004). "Forty landmarks from BBC Two". BBC News. Archived from the original on 3 December 2020. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- Borg, Chris (19 August 2005). "Cream of the commentary crop". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 19 September 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The legends behind the microphone who added so much to sporting spectacles". The Daily Record. Glasgow. 23 January 2010. Archived from the original on 25 January 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Snooker commentator 'Whispering' Ted Lowe dies at 90". BBC News. 1 May 2011. Archived from the original on 17 April 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
|Wikinews has related news:|