Tanisha, meaning ambition in Sanskrit, is a feminine given name. Tanisha \t(a)-ni-sha\ is pronounced Tanīṣā. Tanisha is the feminine equivalent of the name Tanish and is primarily a first name. Persons with the name Tanisha are commonly Hindu by religion or of the Indo Aryan peoples.
Born on Monday (Hausa, English)
|Region of origin||South Asia|
Tanisha is also a variant transcription of the name Tansy (English). Can also be a combination of Ta- with A'isha.
Tanisha also appears in the following countries/origins/languages: African, English, Arabic, Japanese & South Asian
The name Tanisha when pronounced tah-nEE-shah; in Japanese is タニーシャ with the romaji tani-sha. Tanisha as a non-Japanese name is properly rendered in Japanese using katakana タニシャ. Tanisha rendered in hiragana generally is considered to be more feminine. Tanisha in hiragana is たにいしゃ and has the romaji taniisha. Notice that the hiragana rendering differs from the katakana due to the fact that katakana has fairly recently evolved to better render non-Japanese sounds into Japanese. The katakana and hiragana only render the syllable sounds and has no meaning in Japanese.
In the United States, it is a predominantly African-American name first popularized in the 1960s by the actress Ta-Tanisha, who appeared on the television program Room 222. Ta-Tanisha loosely translated in Swahili means "Puzzling One".
The American English pronunciation of Tanisha \t(a)-ni-sha\ is ta-NEE-shah or tuh-NEE-shuh. By the 1970s and 1980s, it had become common within the African American culture to invent new names, although many of the invented names took elements from popular existing names. Prefixes such as La/Le, Da/De, Ra/Re, or Ja/Je are common, as well as inventive spellings for the name Tanisha.
US Popularity by Rank top 1000 names
|Year of birth||Rank||Year of birth||Rank|
Note: Rank 1 is the most popular, rank 2 is the next most popular, and so forth. Data are not shown for some of the years specified because the name Tanisha was not in the top 1000 names for those years. Name data are from Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States.
Records indicate that 17,012 girls in the United States have been named Tanisha since 1880. The greatest number of people were given this name in 1982, when 756 people in the U.S. were given the name Tanisha. Those people are now 36 years old.
In the United States the name Tanisha is considered a stereotypical African American name or an invented name. The name Tanisha has been used as an example of a stereotypical African American name in many articles addressing institutional racism and unconscious racial bias that African Americans face when seeking employment, housing, bank loans and credit cards.
Common spellings for Tanisha:
- English:Tanishia, Tenisha, Tenishia, Tanesha, Taneshia, Tinisha, Tinesha, Tanysha, Tenesha, Tenisha, Tynisha, Taneisha and Taneesha.
- Hindi: तनीषा
- Kanji : 多仁志矢
- Katakana: タニシャ
- hiragana: たにしゃ
- Chinese: 覃妮莎
- Arabic: تـانيـشــا
- Bulgarian: Таниша
- Javanese: Sanjana
- Kannada: ತನೀಶಾ
- Korean: 타니
- Serbian Cyrillic: Танисха
- Tamil: தனிஷா
- Telugu: తనీషా
- Yiddish: טאַנישאַ
- Japanese: タニーシャ
Common nicknames for Tanisha:
- Tanishaa Mukerji (born January 1, 1978), Bollywood actress
- Tanisha Thomas (born August 28, 1985), Reality TV Star, Host
- Tanisha Mariko Harper (born September 18, 1981), model, actress and television host
- Tanisha Tamara Drummond Johnson (born c. 1976), Panamanian model and beauty pageant contestant winner of the Señorita Panamá 1997
- Tanisha Lynn Eanes (born September 14, 1978 in Houston, Texas), American actress
- Tanisha Scott (born in Toronto, Canada), three-time MTV VMA-nominated choreographer
- Tanisha Lovely Wright (born November 29, 1983), American women’s basketball player
- Tanisha Nicole Brito (born September 11, 1980), beauty queen who has competed at both Miss America and Miss USA
- Tanisha Malone, Winner of the 2006 edition of Mo'Nique's Fat Chance a reality TV miniseries
- Tanisha Michele Morgan, member of the female rap duo group BWP (Bytches With Problems)
- Tanisha Yarndriciaes Delores Neal, uses the pseudonym Toni Neal (born February 17, 1976), broadcaster
- Tanisha belnap, contestant on So You Think You Can Dance (U.S. season 11) an American dance competition show
- Tanisha contestant on Big Brother (Switzerland) a reality game show franchise
- Tanisha Avarsekar (born 1997), Indian Poet 
- Tanisha Dutta uses the pseudonym Tina Dutta, Indian actress
- Tanisha Vernon (born 1987), beauty queen and winner of Miss Belize Universe 2007 pageant
Tanisha is a popularly declared title usually bestowed by the people.
- Abul Hasan Qutb Shah nicknamed as 'Tana Shah' meaning child saint also known as Abul Hasan Tana Shah or Tani Shah meaning "benevolent ruler". The Tannashah, Tánėshá or Tánísha (a title) was a Nabob of Golconda.
- Tanisha, the emperor of Golconda - role played by Nassar in the 2006 Telugu Devotional Movie Sri Ramadasu directed by K. Raghavendra Rao
- Tanisha, role played by Tanusree Chakraborty in the 2012 Bengali drama film Bedroom directed by Mainak Bhaumik
- Private Tanisha Robinson, role played by Michelle Buteau - Enlisted (TV series)
- Tanisha, role played by Preeti Puri - Mamta (TV series)
- "Meaning of Tanisha". indiachildnames.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "Islamic Names And Their Meanings - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland". nairaland.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- The Strange Life of Tana Shah. Narendra Luther. August 1, 1995. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Takase Studios, LLC. "Tanisha in Japanese - Original Art and Japanese Tattoo Designs". stockkanji.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- LIFE. Time Inc. p. 55. ISSN 0024-3019. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Rosenkrantz, Linda; Satran, Paula Redmond (August 16, 2001). Baby Names Now: From Classic to Cool--The Very Last Word on First Names. St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN 0312267576.
- "girl-names/Tanisha". babynameshub.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "The Politics of giving your child a black name". Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- "Unconscious racial bias still pervades". Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- "Module 7 Racial and Ethnic Stratification Part 3". Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- "Google Translate". translate.google.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "Tanisha in Japanese - Kanji Zone". kanjizone.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "Tanisha in Chinese Writing - EZChineseNames.com - Get Your Name Translate to Chinese". ezchinesenames.com. Archived from the original on July 28, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "My Name in Arabic, Write my Name in Arabic, Write your Name in Arabic, Arabic names for girls — 500+ names in Arabic, all for free!". arabicmatters.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- The Journey Freedom. Embassy Books. 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- "Narendra Luther Archives: The Strange Life of Tana Shah". narendralutherarchives.blogspot.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Carnatic Chronology: The Hindu and Mahomedan Methods of Reckoning Time Explained; with Essays on the Systems, Symbols Used for Numerals, a New Titular Method of Memory, Historical Records, and Other Subjects. Charles Philip Brown. 1863. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|
Category:Indian given names Category:Hindu given names