TFBoys (Chinese: 加油男孩, 加油少年; pinyin: Jiā Yóu Shào Nián, stylized in all caps), also known as The Fighting Boys, is a popular Chinese idol group that consists of three members: Karry Wang (王俊凯; Wáng Jùnkǎi), Roy Wang (王源; Wáng Yuán), and Jackson Yee (易烊千玺; Yì Yángqiānxǐ). The group debuted on August 6, 2013 with their first single album "Start of Love" at the young ages of 12 and 13 years old. Within a year of their debut, Tfboys became one of the most popular artists in China with their hit song "青春修炼手册 Manual of Youth" and gained widespread popularity throughout Asia. The group as a whole have an estimated commercial value of more than US$430 million (CN¥3 billion) combined from endorsements and branding as of 2018, and their average sales per member from band merchandises alone amasses more than US$17 million per month.
They are often cited as one of the most influential acts to shape the Mando-pop industry in recent years by helping to spread Chinese culture internationally and are dubbed as one of most successful Chinese boy band to hit mainstream media in terms of sales, influence and endorsement value. As of 2018, they have a gathered more than 200 million followers combined on Sina Weibo and have ranked in Forbes China Celebrity 100 for 4 consecutive years since 2015, becoming one of the youngest celebrities to make it onto the list. The band is seen as a spiritual successor of former Chinese band Xiao Hu Dui by the media due to high similarities between them.
2013–2014: Formation and debutEdit
On June 1, 2013, the TF boys released a cover video "洋蔥Onion" by Taiwanese rock band Mayday with trainees Roy Wang, Karry Wang and the child TF band. The video went viral and set a record for the highest number of views by a child cover star in Taiwan. On June 5 of that year, they became the first Mainland child stars to appear in Taiwan news.
There were two trainees that were set to debut with Roy and Karry Wang but TF entertainment discovered Jackson Yee. His skill set focused on dance specifically Latin and HipHop styles. Although he was a newcomer, he had starred in many TV advertisements and dramas.
TFBoys first appeared on August 6, 2013 with a promotional video sent out by TF entertainment called "Ten Years". October 4, they held a showcase of their debut ep at the Sun Moonlight(SML) Center in Yuzhong District, Chongqing. They debuted on October 18, 2013 with the release of a single album "Start to Heart", including the title track "Heart".
The group subsequently released a series of hits in 2014, including "Magic Castle", "For Dreams, Always Be Ready" and "Manual of Youth". Their album "Manual of Youth" went on chart at number 1 on YinYueTai V Charts for 5 consecutive weeks and has won multiple music awards. The album skyrocketed the boys into A-list celebrity status in China.
On August 3, 2014, TFBoys held a fan appreciation meeting for their first anniversary at the Beijing Hualian Changying Shopping Center. After the event, Li Xiaolin, chairperson of International Cooperation Department of China Population Welfare Foundation, and her party issued a letter for TFBoys that stated them as ambassadors for the charity "Happy Smiles". TFBoys have been giving donations to children that suffer from cleft lip and palate through their large social media platform. The number of topic interactions on this issue has exceeded 800 million. At the time of their first anniversary, it has raised more than 370,000 yuan. A total of nearly 40,000 netizens participated in the donation. The donation helped more than 100 children with cleft lip.
2015–2016: Mainstream popularity, international success and contributionsEdit
On January 14, 2015, TFBoys attended the "2014 Weibo Night" ceremony and won the top charity contribution award for their previous year of charities. On September 16, they sang a promotional single "Love With You" for the "2015 MusicRadio我要上学 (I want to go to school)" charity project. The project was aimed at left behind children in poverty stricken areas who dream of attending school.
On September 23, they participated in the 2015 Bazzar Star Charity Night and helped raise 4.17 million yuan in funds for the "为爱加速 (I love to Progress)" charity in the Siyuan Basha poverty-stricken county. In November, TFBoys became a public interest spokesperson for the Chongqing Public Security Fire Department. Later on in the year, they attended the "QQ Red Scarf Project" public welfare conference jointly sponsored by Tencent QQ, QQ Space, China Poverty Alleviation Fund and Tencent Public Welfare to customize winter warm clothes for young people in remote and poverty-stricken areas.
TFBoys held their 2nd anniversary fan meeting to a sold-out show at the Master Card Center in Beijing on August 15 entitled "出道兩週年紀念 《TFBoys Fan's Time》". The event was two and a half hours and they sung their best hits including "Manual of Youth" and "Heart".
In September, Jackson Yee appeared on his first solo live broadcast for the video app "美拍 (Beauty Shot)". The number of people that watched live totaled 8.128 million, more than 863 million likes, and had more than 8.529 million comments . He broke the previous record set by his group back in June.
In December, the group released their first EP The Big Dreamer. On the album includes the song "Adore" (宠爱), the lyrics convey the thoughts and feelings of the boys entering puberty (14–15 years old). Lyrics like "I want to share happy things with you", "This is my first time to be nervous around someone" and "Is this love? I still don't understand yet" express the inner emotions of young people. "Adore" was Song of the Year at the ERC Chinese Top Ten Awards (第23届东方风云榜). The award shows honors the top 10 biggest hits in mainland China. The EP peaked at number 1 on the Billboard China V chart for 6 weeks.
2017–present: Individual activities and "Our Time"Edit
In 2017, the group starred in their own drama Boy Hood, an inspirational youth drama which focuses on baseball. The main OST for Boyhood "Go! Amigo" hit number 1 Billboard China V Chart for 4 weeks in a row. They also won Top Group of the Year at the 5th V Chart Awards for a second consecutive time.
On August 11 and 13, TFBoys held their 4th anniversary concert titled 'Alive Four' in Nanjing. On the 13th, they posted on Weibo that they would be donating 100 million yuan to the victims and rescue efforts of the 2017 Jiuzhaigou earthquake. The earthquake was a 7.0 magnitude and killed more than 25 people.
The same year, the group announced that the members will set up their own personal studios to focus on their own individual activities.
On December 15, 2017, the group released an EP called "Our Time" which featured a solo song from each member.
In early 2018, massive sponsorships came in for each member.
Karry Wang's endorsements range from low price to high-end coverage. His endorsements include: Nike Air Teen Series, OPPO Mobile Phone, Swatch, Snickers, Jade Dynasty 诛仙 games, Pizza Hut and Rejoice Hair care. He is also a Lancome Makeup and Perfume Ambassador and a Dolce & Gabbana Asia Pacific brand ambassador, having a total of 14 endorsements.
Roy Wang's endorsements have a more international appeal. His includes Paris L'Oreal brand ambassador, H&M China new generation image spokesperson, Oreo brand ambassador, HP Star series spokesperson, Chopard brand ambassador, FILA brand spokesperson, Xiaomi smartphone endorser, and Line Friends global chief creative officer. In March and April 2018, Wang Yuan fans' purchases exceeded 13.93 million yuan alone. In October last year, the "TFBoys Business Value Insight" produced by the First Financial and Economic Data Center wrote: "The price level of the consumer group of Roy Wang influence radiation is the highest among the TFBoys..."
Jackson Yee's endorsements increased immensely in 2018 and vary from high-end luxury brands to local Chinese multinational technology companies. He became the global youth creative officer for Adidas Neo, Asia Pacific spokesperson for Bottega Veneta, China's spokesperson for Parfums Givenchy, global spokesperson for Huawei Nova and Vidal Sassoon, new generation spokesperson for Baidu, brand spokesperson for Kispa, the first ever global spokesperson for Tmall since its launch in 2000 and more. Jack Ma, creator of Alibaba Group that owns Tmall was estimated to have invested more than 3 billion yuan on Jackson for advertising his website. Jackson ranked first for celebrity endorsement value and was named as the most influential celebrity endorser of 2018 by Baidu Baike.
In 2018, TFBoys released a book titled "2023: Non-Fiction Growth Story" for their 5th anniversary to showcase the struggles and successes as a group. On August 2, TFBoys attended the unveiling of their wax figures at Madame Tussauds Shanghai.
On August 9 and August 17, 2018, the group released two singles titled "The Best Years" and "I Like You" respectively. The group held their 5th Anniversary concert at Beijing's Workers' Stadium on August 24.
|Birth Name||English Name||Date of Birth||Birthplace|
|王俊凯||Karry Wang||September 21, 1999||Chongqing|
|王源||Roy Wang||November 8, 2000||Chongqing|
|易烊千玺||Jackson Yee||November 28, 2000||Huaihua, Hunan|
Role in societyEdit
TFBoys is considered to be one of the most popular Chinese boy bands and is seen as a Chinese pop-culture sensation. Since their debut in 2013, they have won many major music awards and earned more than 200 million Weibo followers combined. Their sales of band merchandise average more than $17 million per month. Their success was attributed to their fresh school-boy looks, which filled the void of young male idol groups in China; as well as their "wholesome and boy-next-door" image. Their impact has extended beyond the music industry, with their members appearing in films, television shows as well as commercial films.
Due to their image, the group has won a large number of "mother fans", women in their mid–20s to 60s who have developed maternal instincts for the boys.
The group has also amassed a large number of international fans due to their catchy music and versatile talents. The group has contributed in building China's "soft status", by influencing many fans around the world to learn Chinese.
With increased popularity and influence, the group now promotes philanthropic causes. Its members have set up charitable foundations to support education in rural areas and promote environmental protection. The group was ranked No. 1 on the 2017 Charitable Celebrity List in China.
The government supports the boy band group, which has been featured for four consecutive years (2016–2019) on the CCTV New Year's Gala. The Communist Youth League’s official Weibo account often promotes the group’s activities. On the International Children’s Day in 2015, the Communist Youth League released a video featuring TFBoys singing "We Are the Heirs of Communism", the song of the Young Pioneers. They have been selected as a brand ambassador of China's 2020 Chinese Mars Mission. The band is part of the government's efforts to promote its policies among China's youth. Critic Zhu Dake sees the boy band as serving to provide modernized propaganda.
The group's musical style is mainly dance-style music with rap elements, often classified as "bubblegum pop". Their songs have been noted for having uplifting and positive lyrics, which explores the trials of growing up and teenage love, such as "Manual of Youth" and "Imperfect Kid".
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Notes|
Billboard V Chart
|"In the Name of My Faith" (信仰之名)||2014||—||1|
|"Big Dreamer" (大梦想家)||2015||—||1|
|"Imperfect Child" (不完美小孩)||2016||—||—||Used as theme song of The Floating Plane|
|"Truth or Dare" (真心话太冒险)||—||—|
|"It's You" (是你)||—||—|
|"The Little Elf" (小精灵)||—||—|
|"Our Times" (我们的时光)||2017||—||—|
|"Hide and Seek" (躲猫猫)||—||—|
|"I Have An Appointment with 2035" (我和2035有個約)||2018||—||—||CCTV Spring Festival Gala limited song|
|"The Best Years" (最好的那年)||—||—|
|"I Like You" (喜欢你)||—||—|
|"My Friends" (我的朋友)||2019||—||—|
|"First Love Confession" (第一次告白)||—||—|
|"Be With You"（和你在一起）||2020||—||—|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
Billboard V Chart
|"Sing As I Like" (想唱就唱)||2014||—||—||No Zuo No Die OST|
|"The First Lesson" (开学第一课)||—||—||Theme song of Kai Xue Di Yi Ke|
|"Love of The Journey to The West" (恋西游)||2015||—||—||Meng Huan Xi You 2 OST|
|"Fight for Future" (未来的进击)||2016||—||—||Finding Soul OST|
|"Endless River" (不息之河)||—||—||The Warriors OST|
|"Go! Go! Amigo!" (加油！Amigo)||2017||—||1||Boy Hood OST|
|"Same Second Happiness" (同一秒快乐)||—||—||Theme song of Happy Camp|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Notes|
Billboard V Chart
|"We Are the Heirs of Communism" (我们是共产主义接班人) (feat. Han Geng)||2016||—||—||Promotional song of Young Pioneers of China|
|"Dreams Lantern" (梦想天灯) (feat. Yu Quan)||—||—||Promotional song of Tingyi Beef Noodles|
|"Protecting Home" (守护家)||—||2||Promotional song of Safeguard|
|"Give Me happiness" (给我的快乐)||—||—||Promotional song of Fanta|
|"The sun in the pupil" (瞳孔里的太阳) (feat. various artists)||—||—||Promotional song of 2016 World AIDS Day|
|Year||English title||Chinese Title||Notes|
|2015||Pound of Flesh||致命追击||Cameo|
|2019||L.O.R.D: Legend of Ravaging Dynasties 2||爵跡2：冷血狂宴||Supporting roles|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Notes|
|Love for Separation||小别离||Cameo|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Notes|
|2016||Finding Soul||超少年密码||Leading roles|
|2013–2014||TF Teens Go (Season 1)||with trainees of TF Entertainment|
|2014||TFBoys Idols Diary||11 episodes|
|TF Teens Go (Season 2)||with trainees of TF Entertainment|
|2015||TF Teens Go (Season 3)||with trainees of TF Entertainment|
|TFBoys Observational Diary||18 episodes|
|2015–2016||Run for Time||Cast member|
V Chart Awards
|2014||Favorite Artist (Mainland China)||Won|||
|Live Popular Singer||Won|
|Favorite Artist (Mainland China)||Won|
|Hot Trend Artist of the Year||Won|
|2016||Top Group (Mainland China)||Won|
ERC Chinese Top Ten Awards
|2015||Top 10 Songs of the Year||"Manual of Youth"||Won|||
|Hot Trend Group of the Year||Won|
|2018||Top 10 Songs of the Year||"Firefly"||Won|||
|National Choice Group||Won|
Top Chinese Music Awards
|2015||Most Popular Song||"Manual of Youth"||Won|||
|Most Popular Group||Won|
|Most Popular Group (Mainland China)||Won|
QQ Music Awards
|2015||Most Popular Mandarin Group||Won|||
|Best New Group||Won|
|Social Networking Kings||"Pamper"||Won|
|2016||Most Popular Mandarin Group||Won|
CSC Music Awards
|2016||Most Popular Group||Won|||
|Top 20 Songs||"Big Dreamer"||Won|
Fresh Asia Music Chart Award
|Recommended Music Video of the Year||"The Rest of Our Summer"||Won|
iQiyi All-Star Carnival
|2014||Song of the Year||"Manual of Youth"||Won|||
|Most Popular Group||Won|
Weibo Night Awards
|2015||Charity Contribution Award||Won|||
|2018||Weibo Positive Influence Idol||Won|||
|Outstanding Public Figure of the Year||Won|||
|2019||Weibo Most Influential Group||Won|||
Mobile Video Festival
|2016||Hot Trend Idol of the Year||Won|||
- 2016央视春晚TFBoys为什么叫加油男孩？TFBoys名字含义 (in Chinese). 云浮在线. Archived from the original on February 7, 2016. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- 央视春晚节目单曝光！TFBoys改名加油男孩组合 (in Chinese). 七丽时尚网. Archived from the original on February 7, 2016. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "CBNData明星商业价值：TFBoys——撬动300亿线上消费的超燃少年团". www.yicai.com. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- Kan, Karoline (2017-05-06). "In China, It's the Party That Keeps the Boy Band Going". The New York Times. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- 十年 TF BOYS组合形象片 – TF家族. YinYueTai (in Chinese). Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- TFBoys《魔法城堡》京首签会 "三缺一"人气爆棚. iFeng (in Chinese). May 30, 2014.
- TFBoys：为梦想，时刻准备着. Tencent (in Chinese). August 7, 2014.
- TFboys《青春修炼手册》MV变帅气转校生. Sina (in Chinese). August 19, 2014.
- TFBoys小鲜肉组合风头正劲挡不住 破5项V榜吉尼斯. Sohu (in Chinese). September 8, 2014.
- 中国人口福利基金会聘请TFBoys为"幸福微笑"爱心大使 (in Chinese). August 4, 2014.
- 小身躯大能量 TFBoys获2014微博之夜"年度公益贡献奖". CRI (in Chinese). January 16, 2015.
- TFBoys献唱"我要上学"助力公益帮助贫困留守儿 童. Sina Weibo (in Chinese). September 16, 2015.
- TFBoys担任重庆消防宣传大使 小鲜肉配消防服网友点赞. Xinhuanet (in Chinese). November 4, 2015.
- TFBoys于昨日与粉丝共度美好时光 TFBoys Fans' Time 完美落幕. TF entertainment (in Chinese). August 15, 2016.
- TFBoys首张Mini专辑《大梦想家》正式发行. ent.news.cn (in Chinese). December 29, 2015.
- 第23届《东方风云榜》音乐盛典网络投票启动. Yulelanguage=zh. February 3, 2016.
- "TFBoys Chart History". billboard. December 26, 2015.
- 《超少年密码》今日开播 TFBoys深陷AI漩涡. NetEase (in Chinese). July 11, 2016.
- "Book and TV adaptation launches for youngsters' summer holiday". China Daily. July 4, 2017.
- "The 5th V Chart Awards" (in Chinese). April 8, 2017.
- 暖心！四周年演唱会上TFBoys为九寨沟地震灾区捐款一百万 (in Chinese). August 14, 2017.
- TFBoys成立个人工作室 注重个人发展不解散 (in Chinese). September 16, 2017.
- 深击 | TFBOY，没有S (in Chinese). September 3, 2018.
- "TFBoys Figures" (in Chinese). August 2, 2018.
- "Chinese Pop Culture Primer: What You Need to Know About TFBoys, China's Most Popular "Fresh Meat"". The Beijinger. February 17, 2017.
- 有料Vol.48万万没想到！TFBoys走红原因全解析. Sina (in Chinese). Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "The songs that struck a chord with Chinese fans". China Daily. March 2, 2017.
- "A boyband with backing". The Straits Times. 2017-05-07.
- "Members of popular Chinese teen band TFBoys fan maternal instinct in some admirers". The Straits Times. April 24, 2017.
- Kan, Karoline (May 16, 2017). "In China, It's the Party That Keeps the Boy Band Going". The New York Times.
- Rob, Schmitz. "TFBoys' 'Go!AMIGO' Is A Summery Slice Of Pop Propaganda". NPR. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "For Chinese fans, popular teen band are mama's boys". Sina. April 24, 2017.
- "Meet China's Most Popular Boy Band Who Sing About Homework". The Culture Trip. May 16, 2017.
- "Big Dreamer – EP by TFBoys".
- "Billboard China V chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Billboard China V chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Billboard China V chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "Billboard China V chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-08-19.
- "Billboard China V chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- TFBoys加盟诛仙《青云志》打造顶级仙侠IP. Sina (in Chinese). September 24, 2015.
- 爱奇艺自制综艺《TFBoys偶像手记》 收获零差评. NetEase (in Chinese). September 16, 2014.
- 《全员加速中》即将亮相微鲸 TFBoys正式加盟. iFeng (in Chinese). October 13, 2015.
- "Winners List (2014)". Vchart.yinyuetai.
- "Winners List (2015)". Vchart.yinyuetai.
- 东方风云榜张杰周笔畅分获最佳 TFboys连夺两奖. Tencent (in Chinese). March 31, 2015.
- 《东方风云榜》音乐盛典落幕 张杰与周笔畅获最佳男女歌手. Cover China (in Chinese). March 27, 2018.
- 音乐风云榜开启粉丝时代- 邓紫棋华晨宇TFBoys成大赢家. NetEase (in Chinese). April 15, 2015.
- TFBoys新舞QQ音乐年度盛典首秀 引发尖叫时刻. Tencent (in Chinese). March 25, 2015.
- 第9届城市至尊音乐榜荣耀揭晓 星光闪耀盛典. 163.com Entertainment (in Chinese). June 12, 2016.
- 2016年度亚洲新歌榜荣誉名单. Sina (in Chinese). September 27, 2016.
- 爱奇艺之夜：TFBoys斩获两大金奖. iFeng (in Chinese). December 7, 2014.
- TFBoys穿自闭儿童手绘西装 现身微博之夜. Sina (in Chinese). January 19, 2015.
- "Sina Weibo Night Awards: the most bloggable celebrities". Sina. January 17, 2017.
- "Sina Weibo Night Awards". Sina. January 18, 2018.
- 打Call！TFBoys获年度影响力偶像组合、年度杰出公益人物奖. Sohu (in Chinese). February 3, 2018.
- "2019微博之夜 TFBoys获得微博最具影响力组合荣誉". Sina (in Chinese). January 11, 2019.
- TFBoys获2016移动视频风云盛典"偶像先锋人物". cyol.com (in Chinese). December 22, 2016.