|Label(s)||Time Fengjun Entertainment (TF Entertainment)|
|Also known as||The Fighting Boys|
|Karry Wang, Roy Wang, Jackson Yi|
TF Boys first gained attention when their cover of Onion (a song by Taiwanese rock band Mayday) went viral on Facebook in June 2013. They made their first appearance on August 6, 2013 with a promotional video "Ten Years". Their first single album Start To Love was subsequently released on October 18, 2013.
The group subsequently released a string of hits in 2014; "Magic Castle", "For Dreams, Always Be Ready" and "Manual of Youth"; the latter went on to chart at number 1 on Yin Yue Vcharts for 5 consecutive weeks and has won multiple music awards.
In 2015, the group released their first mini album, The Big Dreamer.
In 2016, the group starred in their own web drama Finding Soul.
In 2017, TFBoys starred in their own drama Boy Hood, an inspirational youth drama which focuses on baseball. The same year, the group announced that the members will set up their own personal studios to focus on their individual activities.
In the mediaEdit
TFBoys is considered the most popular Chinese boy band and are regarded as pop cultural sensation in their country. Since their debut in 2013, they have won major Chinese music industry awards and amassed more than 25 million Weibo followers. Sales of band merchandise average more than $17 million per month. Their success was attributed to their fresh, school boy looks, which filled the void of young male idol groups in China; as well as their "wholesome and boy-next-door" image. Their impact has extended beyond the music industry, with their members appearing in films, television shows as well as commercial films (CFs).
Due to their image, the group has won a large number of "mother fans", a group of women in their mid-20s to 60s whom have developed maternal instincts for the boys.
They are also supported by the government; the group was twice featured on the Chinese Lunar New Year television gala staged by CCTV, the state broadcaster, and The Communist Youth League’s official Weibo account often promotes the group’s activities. On International Children’s Day in 2015, the Communist Youth League released a video featuring TFBoys singing “We Are the Heirs of Communism”, the song of the Young Pioneers, the Communist children’s organization. They have been selected as a brand ambassador of China's 2020 Chinese Mars Mission.
The group has also assembled a large number of international fans due to their catchy music and versatile talents. In particular, members Roy Wang and Karry Wang's birthday ads were featured on York City’s Times Square. In Iceland, the leading newspaper Morgunblaðið celebrated Karry’s 17th birthday last year with a half-page advert bought by fans. The group has helped contribute in building China's soft status, by influencing many fans around the world to learn Chinese.
The group's musical style is mainly dance-style music with rap elements, often classified as "bubblegum pop". Their songs have been noted for having uplifting and positive lyrics, which explores the trials of growing up and teenage love ("Manual of Youth," "Imperfect Kid"). Over the years, the group's music has evolved to include pro-nationalism themes (e.g: In "Go! Amigo!", the song's message is about teamwork and serving the collective — communist values).
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album||Notes|
Billboard V Chart
|"Imperfect Kid" (不完美小孩)||2016||—||—||N/A||Used as theme song of The Floating Plane|
|"True Words Are Too Risky" (真心话太冒险)||—||—||N/A|
|It's You" (是你)||—||—||N/A|
|"The Little Elf" (小精灵)||—||—||N/A|
|"Our Times" (我们的时光)||2017||—||—||N/A|
Soundtrack and theme songsEdit
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
Billboard V Chart
|"Sing As I Like" (想唱就唱)||2014||—||—||No Zuo No Die OST|
|"The First Lesson" (开学第一课)||—||—||Theme song of Kai Xue Di Yi Ke|
|"Love Journey" (恋西游)||2015||—||—||Meng Huan Xi You 2 OST|
|"Hit the Future" (未来的进击)||2016||—||—||Finding Soul OST|
|"Endless River" (不息之河)||—||—||The Warriors OST|
|"Go! Amigo!" (加油！Amigo)||2017||—||—||Boy Hood OST|
|"Same Second Happiness" (同一秒快乐)||—||—||Theme song of Happy Camp|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Notes|
Billboard V Chart
|"We are the Heirs of Communism" (我们是共产主义接班人) (sung with Han Geng)||2016||—||—||Promotional song for Young Pioneers of China|
|"Dreams Lantern" (梦想天灯) (sung with Yu Quan)||—||—||Commercial song for Tingyi (Cayman Islands) Beef Noodles|
|"Protecting Home" (守护家)||—||—||Commercial song for Safeguard|
|"Give Me Pleasure" (给我的快乐)||—||—||Commercial song for Fanta|
|"Sunshine in the Eyes" (瞳孔里的太阳) (sung with various artists)||—||—||Promotional song for 2016 World AIDS Day|
|2015||Pound of Flesh||Cameo|
|2016||Noble Aspirations||Special appearance|
|Love for Separation||Special appearance|
|2017||Boy Hood||Lead roles|
|2016||Finding Soul||Lead roles|
|2013-2014||TF Teens Go (Season 1)||with trainees of TF Entertainment|
|2014||TFBoys Idols Diary||11 episodes|
|TF Teens Go (Season 2)||with trainees of TF Entertainment|
|2015||TF Teens Go (Season 3)||with trainees of TF Entertainment|
|TFBoys Observational Diary||18 episodes|
|2015-2016||Run for Time||Cast member|
Awards and nominationsEdit
YinYueTai Vchart AwardsEdit
|2014||Favorite Arist - Mainland||TFBoys||Won|||
|Live Popular Singer||Won|
|Favorite Artist - Mainland||Won|
|Hot Trend Artist of the Year||Won|
|2016||Top Group (Mainland)||Won|
|2015||Top 10 Songs of the Year||"Manual of Youth"||Won|||
|Hot Trend Group of the Year||Won|
|2015||Most Popular Song||"Manual of Youth"||Won|||
|Most Popular Group||TFBoys||Won|
|Most Popular Group (Mainland)||Won|
|2015||Most Popular Mandarin Group||TFBoys||Won|||
|Best New Group||Won|
|Audi A3·QQ Social Networking Kings||"Pamper"||Won|
|2016||Most Popular Mandarin Group||TFBoys||Won|
CSC Music AwardsEdit
|2016||Most Popular Group||TFBoys||Won|||
|Top 20 Songs||"Big Dreamer"||Won|
Fresh Asia Music Chart AwardEdit
|Recommended Music Video of the Year||"The Rest of Our Summer"||Won|
|2014||Song of the Year||"Manual of Youth"||Won|||
|Most Popular Group||TF Boys||Won|
Sina Weibo Night AwardsEdit
|2015||Charity Contribution Award||TFBoys||Won|||
Mobile Video FestivalEdit
|2016||Hot Trend Idol of the Year||TFBoys||Won|||
- "2016央视春晚TFBOYS为什么叫加油男孩？TFBOYS名字含义" (in Chinese). 云浮在线. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "央视春晚节目单曝光！TFBOYS改名加油男孩组合" (in Chinese). 七丽时尚网. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "TF家族最年少偶像团体TF BOYS九月正式出道_网易娱乐". ent.163.com. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "十年 TF BOYS组合形象片 - TF家族". 音悦Tai. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "TFBOYS《魔法城堡》京首签会 “三缺一”人气爆棚". iFeng (in Chinese). May 30, 2014.
- "TFBOYS：为梦想，时刻准备着". Tencent (in Chinese). August 7, 2014.
- "TFboys《青春修炼手册》MV变帅气转校生". Sina (in Chinese). August 19, 2014.
- "TFBOYS小鲜肉组合风头正劲挡不住 破5项V榜吉尼斯". Sohu (in Chinese). September 8, 2014.
- "TFBOYS首张Mini专辑《大梦想家》正式发行". ent.news.cn (in Chinese). December 29, 2015.
- "《超少年密码》今日开播 TFBOYS深陷AI漩涡". NetEase (in Chinese). July 11, 2016.
- "Book and TV adaptation launches for youngsters' summer holiday". China Daily. July 4, 2017.
- "TFBOYS成立个人工作室 注重个人发展不解散" (in Chinese). September 16, 2017.
- "Chinese Pop Culture Primer: What You Need to Know About TFBoys, China's Most Popular "Fresh Meat"". The Beijinger. February 17, 2017.
- "有料Vol.48万万没想到！TFBOYS走红原因全解析". Sina (in Chinese). Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "The songs that struck a chord with Chinese fans". China Daily. March 2, 2017.
- "A boyband with backing". The Straits Times.
- "TFBOYS: THE BOYBAND BRINGING CHINA’S DREAMS OF SOFT POWER TO LIFE". South China Morning Post. March 19, 2017.
- "Members of popular Chinese teen band TFBoys fan maternal instinct in some admirers". The Straits Times. April 24, 2017.
- "In China, It’s the Party That Keeps the Boy Band Going". The New York Times. May 16, 2017.
- "How a Chinese boy band has become an international hit". Global Times. April 5, 2016.
- "Fans of popular Chinese boy band celebrate TFBoys' Wang Junkai's birthday with self-funded global ad campaign". Global Times. September 25, 2016.
- "For Chinese fans, popular teen band are mama's boys". Sina. April 24, 2017.
- "Meet China's Most Popular Boy Band Who Sing About Homework". The Culture Trip. May 16, 2017.
- "TFBoys' 'Go!AMIGO' Is A Summery Slice Of Pop Propaganda". npr.org. August 9, 2017.
- "TFBOYS加盟诛仙《青云志》打造顶级仙侠IP". Sina (in Chinese). September 24, 2015.
- "爱奇艺自制综艺《TFBOYS偶像手记》 收获零差评". NetEase (in Chinese). September 16, 2014.
- "《全员加速中》即将亮相微鲸 TFBOYS正式加盟". iFeng (in Chinese). October 13, 2015.
- "Winners List (2014)". Vchart.yinyuetai.
- "Winners List (2015)". Vchart.yinyuetai.
- "东方风云榜张杰周笔畅分获最佳 TFboys连夺两奖". Tencent (in Chinese). March 31, 2015.
- "音乐风云榜开启粉丝时代- 邓紫棋华晨宇TFBOYS成大赢家". NetEase (in Chinese). April 15, 2015.
- "TFBOYS新舞QQ音乐年度盛典首秀 引发尖叫时刻". Tencent (in Chinese). March 25, 2015.
- "第9届城市至尊音乐榜荣耀揭晓 星光闪耀盛典". NetEase. June 12, 2016.
- "2016年度亚洲新歌榜荣誉名单". Sina (in Chinese). September 27, 2016.
- "爱奇艺之夜：TFBOYS斩获两大金奖". iFeng (in Chinese). December 7, 2014.
- "TFBOYS穿自闭儿童手绘西装 现身微博之夜". Sina (in Chinese). January 19, 2015.
- "Sina Weibo Night Awards: the most bloggable celebrities". Sina. January 17, 2017.
- "TFBOYS获2016移动视频风云盛典“偶像先锋人物”". cyol.com (in Chinese). December 22, 2016.