Sye (2004 film)
Sye is a 2004 Telugu action sports drama film released on 23 September 2004 and was directed by S.S. Rajamouli. This is his third film after the successes of Student No.1 and Simhadri. The story has a rugby union backdrop. Nithiin and Genelia D'Souza play the lead roles. It was dubbed into Hindi as Aar Paar: The Judgement Day in 2012, in Tamil as Kazhugu and in Malayalam as Challenge.
|Directed by||S.S. Rajamouli|
|Produced by||A. Bharati|
|Written by||M. Ratnam (Dialogue)|
|Screenplay by||S. S. Rajamouli|
|Story by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
|Music by||M. M. Keeravani|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
Sri Bharath Enterprises
|Distributed by||Sri Bharath Enterprises|
|23 September 2004|
|Budget||₹8 crore (equivalent to ₹21 crore or US$3.1 million in 2018)(citation needed)|
|Box office||₹12 crore (equivalent to ₹32 crore or US$4.6 million in 2018)(share)|
Prudhvi (Nithiin) and Shashank (Shashank) are the leaders of two warring student groups in a Hyderabad college. They are fond of rugby union game, and they sort things out between them by playing rugby to prove superiority.
One day, a local mafia leader Bhikshu Yadav (Pradeep Rawat) gets a court notice that he has purchased the land of college from its legal heirs. Prudhvi and Sashank's groups unite by forgetting their differences to win back the land for the college. After getting affected by assaults of students, Bhikshu Yadav throws a challenge to defeat his team in a game of rugby union to win back the land for their college. The rest of the story is how Prudhvi leads his team to the victory.
- Nithiin as Prudhvi
- Genelia D'Souza as Indu(Voice dubbed by Sunitha)
- Shashank as Shashank
- Pradeep Rawat as Bhikshu Yadav
- Nassar as College Property owner
- Ajay as Bhikshu Yadav's son
- Rajiv Kanakala as Rugby coach Rafi
- Tanikella Bharani as Prudhvi's father and college principal
- Venu Madhav as Nalla Balu
- Supreeth as Bhikshu Yadav's henchmen
- Madhunandan as College Student
- Sameer as Police Officer
- Sivannarayana Naripeddi
- Narsing Yadav
- SS Kanchi as Indu's father
- Sye Surya as Ping Pong
- Alapati Lakshmi
- Preeti Nigam as Prudhvi's mother
- Chatrapathi Sekhar
- S.S.Rajamouli in a cameo appearance
- uma devi as Pradeep Rawat girlfriend
The film has six songs composed by M. M. Keeravani:
- "Appudappudu" - Lucky Ali & Sumangali - Lyrics: M. M. Keeravani
- "Chantaina Bujjaina" - Kalyani Malik, Smitha, & Vasundara Das - Lyrics: Chandrabose
- "Ganga A/C" - Kalyani Malik, Smitha, & Vasundara Das - Lyrics: Chandrabose
- "Gutlovundi" - Tippu & Malathi - Lyrics: Bhuvana Chandra
- "Nalla Nallani Kalla" - M. M. Keeravani & K. S. Chithra - Lyrics: Siva Shakti Datta
- "Pantham Pantham" - Devi Sri Prasad, M. M. Keeravani, Tippu, Chandrabose, Kalyani Malik, & Smitha - Lyrics: Chandrabose
The film had a successful 365-day run at one center. It collected ₹12 crore (US$1.7 million) (share) at box office. Sye was the highest budget movie in Rajamouli's career till 2004 as it was made with approximately ₹8 crore (US$1.2 million).
In popular cultureEdit
- "Sye - Telugu Full Movie @ YouTube".
- Sion Morgan (27 August 2015). "Bollywood rugby blockbuster gives hilariously skewed version of world-famous sport". Mirror (UK). Retrieved 25 March 2016.