Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 400 metre individual medley
|Women's 400 metre individual medley|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||6 August 2016|
|Competitors||33 from 23 nations|
|Winning time||4:26.36 WR|
Four years after narrowly missing the podium in London, Hungary's Katinka Hosszú, nicknamed the "Iron Lady", opened her redemptive Games by dominating the 400 m individual medley with a new world record and the first title of her Olympic career. Dominating the race from the very start, she pulled away from the field to a gold-medal finish with a 4:26.36. Hosszú's swim also demolished the world record of 4:28.43, set by China's Ye Shiwen at the previous Games. Trailing the leader by almost five seconds, U.S. swimmer Maya DiRado turned ahead of the world-record pace for over half the race, and managed to finish with a silver in 4:31.15. Meanwhile, Spain's Mireia Belmonte rounded out the podium with a bronze in 4:32.39, edging out Great Britain's Hannah Miley (4:32.54) in a tight battle to fourth by 0.15 of a second.
Canada's Emily Overholt finished fifth with a 4:34.70, and was shortly followed by London 2012 runner-up Elizabeth Beisel of the United States (4:34.98). Miley's teammate Aimee Willmott (4:35.04) and Japan's Sakiko Shimizu (4:38.06) rounded out the final.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Ye Shiwen (CHN)||4:28.43||London, United Kingdom||28 July 2012|
|Olympic record||Ye Shiwen (CHN)||4:28.43||London, United Kingdom||28 July 2012|
The following records were established during the competition:
|6 August||Final||Katinka Hosszú||Hungary||4:26.36||WR, OR|
|3||Maya DiRado||United States||4:31.15|
|4||6||Hannah Miley||Great Britain||4:32.54|
|6||7||Elizabeth Beisel||United States||4:34.98|
|7||2||Aimee Willmott||Great Britain||4:35.04|
- "Women's 400m Individual Medley". Rio 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Wolken, Dan (6 August 2016). "Katinka Hosszu shatters world record in 400 IM; Maya DiRado wins silver". USA Today. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "All-rounder Hosszu finally swims to first Olympic gold". Olympics. 6 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Katinka Hosszu Smokes 400 IM World Record in Rio". Swimming World Magazine. 6 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Coverdale, David (6 August 2016). "Rio Olympics 2016: Agony for Hannah Miley as Team GB swimmer misses out on Olympic bronze by inches". United Kingdom: The Sun. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "China's Sun scorched over doping record after he cruises into 400m freestyle final". South China Morning Post. 7 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Ye Shiwen wins gold in record time". ESPN. 28 July 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2013.