Mukherjee made her screen debut with Devdasi, a Bengali TV series. She made her big screen debut with Hemanter Pakhi (2001). Her first leading role came with Mastan (2004). She made her Hindi film debut with Mumbai Cutting (2008).
Early life edit
Mukherjee spent her childhood in a self-described "simple life" with her father Santu Mukhopadhyay, younger sister Ajopa, and mother Gopa. Her favorite films were Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. She was educated at Carmel School, Kolkata, St. Teresa's Secondary School, and Gokhale Memorial School.
Personal life edit
In 1998 at the age of 18, she married Promit Sen, son of Rabindra Sangeet singer Sagar Sen. The marriage was an unhappy one and lasted two years. Swastika accused Promit of physically abusing her and locking her out of their home when she was pregnant. She filed a charge against him for cruelty and solicitation of dowry. These charges were subsequently dismissed and Promit was acquitted.
Swastika later filed an affidavit in court stating that her accusations were 'unfounded, false, baseless and speculative,' before confessing in a media conference that they were false. Consequently, Promit's brother sued her for damages in Calcutta High Court and she was held liable for ₹7.7 crore ($1.7 million). According to Mukherjee, Sen filed for divorce in 2000, but changed his mind when she became successful in her acting career. She had one daughter from the marriage, Anwesha, born in 2000.
In 2001, Mukherjee enrolled at the Ananda Shankar Centre for Culture, learning dance from veteran Tanusree Shankar. During the filming of Mastan, she began dating her co-star Jeet. They went on to appear in several films together, including Kranti, Sathihara, Priyotoma, Krishnakanter Will, Pitribhumi and Partner. She later began a relationship with Parambrata Chatterjee on the set of Brake Fail. As she was still lawfully married to Pramit Sen, he filed a charge against Chatterjee for criminal adultery and enticement of a married woman. They separated in 2010 when Chatterjee moved to Bristol.
|2003||Chokher Bali||Young Courtesan|
|2009||Sobar Upore Tumi||Bangladeshi film|
|Bye Bye Bangkok||Tanima|
|Tabe Tai Hok||Tilottama|
|Ami Aar Amar Girlfriends||Shree|
|Maach Mishti & More||Reena|
|2014||Take One||Doyel Mitra-|
|Jaatishwar||Mahamaya Bandopadhyay/ Soudamini|
|2015||Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!||Anguri Devi / Yasmeen|
|2016||Saheb Bibi Golaam||Jaya|
|2017||Byomkesh O Agnibaan|
|2018||Aami Ashbo Phirey||Gargi|
|2019||Kia and Cosmos||Dia Chaterjee|
|Shah Jahan Regency||Kamalini Guha|
|The Lovely Mrs. Mukherjee|
|Dil Bechara||Mrs. Sunila Basu|
|Karmachakra: Episode Zero||Ganga (voice)|
|Qala||Urmila Manjushree Hindi film|
|Love All||Hindi film|
|2000–2005||Ek Akasher Niche||Piu||Zee Bangla|
|2019||The Stoneman Murders||Sneha|
|2020||Charitraheen 3||Rabeya Shamin|
|Black Widows||Jayati Sardesai||Zee5|
|Paatal Lok||Dolly Mehra||Amazon Prime Video|
|2022||Escaype Live||Mala||Disney+ Hotstar|
|Criminal Justice: Adhura Sach||Avantika|
In May 2014, Mukherjee was hospitalized after an alleged suicide attempt. Under strong local protest, Kolkata police detained Mukherjee's boyfriend Sumon Mukhopadhyay.
- "Tollywood top girls on the go, at a glance". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India. 4 September 2004. Archived from the original on 28 December 2004. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- "Interview swastika Mukherjee on her talk of the town character spending time with shabitri and pushing boundaries". Telegraph India.
- "Swastika poses with father Santu Mukherjee - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "We are family". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Interview with Swastika Mukherjee". Savvy. 26 November 2009.
- "Singer Behind Bars for Wife-Bashing". Calcutta Telegraph. Calcutta, India. 9 June 2000. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- says, Ankan Basu. "Bengali Film Actress Swastika Mukherjee confessed false dowry allegations – Calcutta Tube". Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- "Paatal Lok Actor Swastika Mukherjee Publicly Apologised For Filing 498A Case Against Husband's Family". Archived from the original on 25 May 2021. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "Actress loses appeal in Rs 7.7 crore case". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- "Arrest warrant against Param". The Times of India. 18 September 2009. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Dasgupta, Priyanka (5 July 2009). "'An intimate scene would be a pushover'". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Swastika ready for one night stand?". The Times of India. 5 September 2010. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "SWASTIKA AND ANANYA ARE SET TO FIRE UP THE SCREEN IN MOHOMAYA SWASTIKA AND ANANYA ARE SET TO FIRE UP THE SCREEN IN MOHOMAYA". epaper.telegraphindia.com. Archived from the original on 22 April 2021.
- Roy, Gitanjali (6 November 2014). "Swastika Mukherjee: Bengals Sweetheart But Off-Screen, a Darker Story – NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com.