Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The office of the Surveyor of the King's/Queen's Pictures, in the Royal Collection Department of the Royal Household of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom, is responsible for the care and maintenance of the royal collection of pictures owned by the Sovereign in an official capacity – as distinct from those owned privately and displayed at Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle and elsewhere. The office has only been full-time since 1972. It now operates in a professional capacity with a staff of a dozen people. As of the end of 2020, the position has been put in abeyance.
Although the office dates from 1625, there has always been someone responsible for pictures in the Royal Household. Notable recent office-holders have included Sir Lionel Cust (1901–1927), Sir Kenneth Clark (1934–1944), Professor Anthony Blunt (1945–1972), one of the infamous Cambridge Five, and Sir Oliver Millar (1972–1988). The post of Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures is currently in abeyance; the most recent was Desmond Shawe-Taylor, who held the post from 2005 to 2020.
List of Surveyors of the King's/ Queen's PicturesEdit
- Desmond Shawe-Taylor 2005–2020
- Christopher Lloyd, 1988–2005
- Sir Oliver Millar 1972–1988
- Anthony Blunt 1945–1973 – formerly Sir Anthony Blunt , until he was stripped of his titles after being exposed as a former Soviet spy.
- Sir Kenneth Clark 1934–1944
- C. H. Collins Baker 1928–1934
- Sir Lionel Cust 1901–1927
- Sir John Charles Robinson 1880–1901
- Richard Redgrave 1856–1880
- Thomas Uwins 1844–1856
- Sir Augustus Wall Callcott 1843–1844
- William Seguier 1820–1843
- Benjamin West 1791–1820
- Richard Dalton 1778–1791
- George Knapton 1765–1778
- Stephen Slaughter 1745–1765
- Peter Walton c.1690–1745 (officially from 1701)
- Frederick Sonnius 1690–1701
- Henry Norris 1682–
- Parry Walton 1679–1690 (officially to 1701)
- Gerrit van Uylenburgh 1676–1679
- William Chiffinch 1666–
- Thomas Chiffinch 1660–1666
- George Geldorp 1660–
- Abraham van der Doort 1625–1640
- "Press Release: Appointment of new Surveyor of The Queen's Pictures, The Royal Collection". Royal Collection. 2004-12-17. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "Queen's art experts leave as Covid hits royal finances". BBC News. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- "No. 27291". The London Gazette. 5 March 1901. p. 1576.
- About the Royal Collection – official website