Supreme Being(Redirected from Supreme being)
|Look up Supreme Being in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Supreme Being is a term used by theologians and philosophers of many religions, including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Sikhism, Jainism, and Deism, as an alternative to the term God.
Use of the termEdit
Cult of the Supreme BeingEdit
The Cult of the Supreme Being (French: Culte de l'Être suprême) was a form of deism established in France by Maximilien Robespierre during the French Revolution. It was intended to become the state religion of the new French Republic and a replacement for Roman Catholicism and its rival, the Cult of Reason.
In the Yoruba religion the term "Supreme Being" is used in reference to Olorun, one of the three manifestations of the Supreme God in the Yoruba pantheon. In Yoruba cosmology, Olorun is the Supreme Being whose supremacy is absolute.
Jainism posits two kinds of Suprement Beings, both infinite in number. They are Arihant and Siddha. They are infinte in number and possess only one kind of omnis out of four viz. Omniscience. Other three Omnis are not considered positive attributes in Jainism.
- Revelation – Sacred Theology
- The Hindu Online edition of India's National Newspaper, Monday, Sep 22, 2003
- website showing usage by Deists during the French Revolution.
- [http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/dogmatics/baroudy_god_supreme_being.htm God – the Supreme Being
- Jordan, pp. 199ff.
- Neely, p. 212: "(T)he Convention authorized the creation of a civic religion, the Cult of the Supreme Being. On May 7, Robespierre introduced the legislation...."
- Delmonico, N. (2004). "The History Of Indic Monotheism And Modern Chaitanya Vaishnavism". The Hare Krishna Movement: the Postcharismatic Fate of a Religious Transplant. ISBN 978-0-231-12256-6. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Elkman, S.M.; Gosvami, J. (1986). Jiva Gosvamin's Tattvasandarbha: A Study on the Philosophical and Sectarian Development of the Gaudiya Vaisnava Movement. Motilal Banarsidass Pub.
- Maha Shirvratri website, About Lord Shiva
- Allah, al-llah
- God – Olorun
- The Yoruba Religious System