Sungai Besar by-election, 2016
A by-election to be held for the Dewan Rakyat seat of P93 Sungai Besar, a parliamentary seat located in the state of Selangor, Malaysia on 18 June 2016 following the nomination day on 5 June 2016. The seat fell vacant after death of member of parliament Noriah Kasnon, who died in a helicopter crash on May 5, 2016 while campaigning in the Sarawak state election. Noriah Kasnon was also the Plantations Industries and Commodities Deputy Minister. In the 2013 general election, Noriah Kasnon won the seat with a majority of 399 votes beating Mohamed Salleh M Hussin of Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS). This by-election was held concurrently with the Kuala Kangsar by-election for the same reason.
The Barisan Nasional candidate was Budiman Mohd Zohdi from UMNO who is also the Sungai Panjang state assemblyman. The PAS candidate is Abdul Rani Osman who is also the state assemblyman for Meru. The opposition coalition Pakatan Harapan has chosen Azhar Abdul Shukor from the National Trust Party (PAN) as its candidate.
Budiman Mohd Zohdi retained the seat for Barisan Nasional with a majority 9,191 votes beating both candidates from Amanah and PAS.
|PAS||Abdul Rani Osman||6,902||21.78%||26.82|
|Barisan Nasional||Budiman Mohd Zohdi||16,800||53.01%||3.41|
|PH||Azhar Abdul Shukor||7,609||24.01%||N/A|
|Barisan Nasional hold||Swing||3.41|
- "Sungai Besar, K Kangsar by-elections on June 18". Malaysiakini. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Sungai Besar, Kuala Kangsar set for by-elections". Malaysiakini. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Confirmed: Noriah Kasnon among six on board missing chopper". News Straits Times. 6 May 2016. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Hisham: BN doesn't take Sungai Besar, Kuala Kangsar by-elections lightly". Malaysiakini. 16 May 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "BN's Sungai Besar candidate Budiman prefers to be underdog". The Star Online. 27 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Dr Abdul Rani is Pas candidate for Sungai Besar". Bernama. Astro Awani. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Local boy Azhar Shukur is Amanah's pick for Sungai Besar". Malay Mail Online. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "BN retains Sungai Besar with huge majority". Free Malaysia Today. 18 June 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2016.