Sullivan, New York
Parts of this article (those related to demographics) need to be updated.April 2017)(
- There is also a Sullivan County in New York.
Sullivan, New York
Sullivan Free Library
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||John M. Becker (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||73.35 sq mi (189.96 km2)|
|• Land||73.15 sq mi (189.45 km2)|
|• Water||0.20 sq mi (0.52 km2)|
|Elevation||410 ft (120 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||208.14/sq mi (80.36/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
13030, 13037 , 13082
|GNIS feature ID||0979535|
|Website||Town of Sullivan government site|
The Town of Sullivan is located in the northwest corner of the county.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 73.6 sq mi (191 km2), of which, 73.4 sq mi (190 km2) is land and 0.2 sq mi (0.52 km2) (0.27%) is water.
|U.S. Census Bureau|
At the 2010 census, there were 15,339 people, 6,114 households and 4,325 families residing in the town. The population density was 209.7 per square mile (80.97/km2). There were 6,723 housing units at an average density of 91.7 per square mile (35.5/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.2% White, 0.6% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.
There were 6,114 households, of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% were heterosexual married couples living together, 10.8% had a primary female householder, 5.1% had a primary male householder and 29.6% were non-families. 23.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.91.
24.6% of the population were under the age of 19, 4.9% from 20 to 24, 28% from 25 to 44, 32.3% from 45 to 64, and 15% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.5 years. 49.2% identified as male, while 50.8 identified as female.
The median household income was $56,596 and the median family income was $64,101. People identifying as male had a median income of $40,906 and people identifying as female $31,115. In 2018, the per capita income was $32,971, about 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in SullivanEdit
- Blakeslea – A hamlet in the southeast corner of the town.
- Bolivar – A hamlet northeast of Chittenango village.
- Bridgeport – A hamlet in the northwest of the town by the town line on NY-31 at the Chittenango Creek.
- Chittenango – The Village of Chittanango and the location of the town government is in the south part of the town.
- Chittenango Creek – A stream that forms the northwest boundary of the town.
- Chittenango Springs – A hamlet south of Chittenango village on Route 13.
- East Boston – A location near the east town line.
- Eaton Corners – A location south of Lakeport.
- Fyler Settlement – a hamlet in the northwest part of the town.
- Gees Corner – A location in the northeast part of the town.
- Lake Oneida Beach West – A lakeside hamlet on the shore of Oneida Lake.
- Lakeport – A hamlet on Oneida Lake and Route 31.
- Messenger Bay – A lakeside hamlet in the northeast corner of the town.
- North Chittenango – A hamlet south of the Thruway on Lakeport Road.
- Oneida Lake Beach West – A lakeside hamlet in the north part of the town. The Oneida Lake Congregational Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
- Peck Corner – A location in the northwest part of the town at County Routes 1 and 4.
- Sullivan – A hamlet east of Chittenango village on Route 5 and 13.
- Weaver Corner – A location near Chittenango Creek in the northwest part of the town.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 5, 2017.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/sullivantownmadisoncountynewyork,sullivancountynewyork/HSD410218. Missing or empty
- . Census.gov https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/sullivantownmadisoncountynewyork,sullivancountynewyork/HSD410218. Retrieved March 27, 2020. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved March 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Sullivan town, Madison County, New York; United States". www.census.gov. Retrieved 2020-03-27.
- "FAA Airport Master Record". Federal Aviation Administration. 8 April 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 October 2012..
"Historical Marker Detail for Allen, John Kirby, (1810 - 1838) Co-Founder of Houston". Houston, Texas: Harris County Historical Commission. Archived from the original on 2011-09-24. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
Per the research of Allen descendant, Ralph Dittman, John Kirby Allen was born in Canaseraga Village, Madison County, New York. This is not the same location as the contemporary Canaseraga in Allegany County, New York. The Village of Canaseraga in now Sullivan Village. Canasareaugh, ending with "areaugh", is a misspelling of the village name. In an interview given to the Houston Daily Post in 1895 Charlotte Baldwin Allen refers to his birthplace as Orrville. Charlotte Allen was 90 years of age at the time of the Houston Daily Post interview, and died the following month. Dittman's research indicates that John Kirby moved to Orrville at the age of seven to live with an uncle. Orrville was renamed DeWitt in 1825.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sullivan, New York.|