Stone Music Entertainment
Stone Music Entertainment (Hangul: 스톤 뮤직 엔터테인먼트) was a South Korean entertainment private-held company under the E&M Division of CJ ENM. It was one of the largest co-publisher companies in South Korea. The company will continue operating as a music distribution brand.
|스톤 뮤직 엔터테인먼트|
CJ E&M Music
|Founded||June 29, 1994 (as Mediopia)|
September 30, 2006 (as Mnet Media)
January 2011 (as CJ E&M Music)
April 3, 2018 (as Stone Music Entertainment)
|Defunct||April 20, 2021|
Number of locations
|Wonhyo-ro 3-ga, Yongsan-gu|
|Jung Hyung-jin (CEO)|
|Owner||CJ ENM (100%)|
|Parent||CJ ENM E&M Division|
Once a home to artists SeeYa, Lee Hyori, I.O.I, Park Bo-ram, Wanna One, Iz*One, X1, In2It, and Heize, it managed artists such as SG Wannabe, Davichi, Roy Kim, Son Ho-young, Eric Nam, Fromis 9, HEDY, and TO1. The latter will be presumably moved to other labels after April 2021.
The company was established as Mediopia in May 1993 and later renamed as Mediopia Technology Co., Ltd in June 1994, as a manufacturer and distributor of electronic devices.
In January 2002, the company was listed on KOSDAQ.
In August 2004, Maekyung Hudson was incorporated as a subsidiary.
In July 2006, the largest shareholder changed from Poibos Co., Ltd. to CJ Corporation and was incorporated as an affiliate of CJ Corporation. The company later became a part of CJ Media Co., Ltd.
In September 2006, the company was later established again as Mnet Media, following the merge with GM Agency, MaxMP3 and ID Icheon Entertainment.
In January 2007, the company established entertainment company Core Contents Media, which was headed by producer Kim Kwang-soo.
In May 2007, CJ Music was merged into Mnet Media, which was operated in the music distribution and broadcasting businesses.
In January 2011, Mnet Media was merged into CJ E&M and renamed as CJ E&M Music. Following the merge, the company was revoked from the KOSDAQ listing in March 2011.
In December 2013, CJ E&M Music acquired 19% of Jellyfish Entertainment's shares to form a partnership.
In 2017, CJ E&M Music established a new label named Stone Music Entertainment. The label began produce music for artists under CJ E&M Music, such as Wanna One, Davichi, and JBJ, and managed Idol School's winning group, Fromis 9.
In August 2017, CJ E&M Music established the High Up Entertainment joint venture with producer team Black Eyed Pilseung. In the same months, CJ E&M acquired an additional 32% of Jellyfish Entertainment's shares, beyond the 19% of the label's shares previously acquired in 2013, effectively becoming the label's largest shareholder, with a total of 51%.
In April 2018, Stone Music Entertainment was officially registered and CJ E&M later merged into Stone Music Entertainment in May 2018.
In June 2018, Stone Music Entertainment established the exclusive label Swing Entertainment for managing Wanna One since the latter ended their contract with YMC Entertainment, with Shin Dong-il (who is the former manager under YMC Entertainment) as the label head.
In August 2018, CJ E&M sold its 51% stake in High Up Entertainment back to Black Eyed Pilseung, making the former an independent company.
In October 2018, Genie Music acquired distribution rights to Stone Music Entertainment's releases in digital format after it merged with the latter's sister company, CJ Digital Music. The two companies will still release physical albums separately.
On January 31, 2019, Stone Music Entertainment confirmed the establishment of an exclusive label, LM Entertainment for managing Kang Daniel and Yoon Jisung since February 1, following the ended their contract with MMO Entertainment. The label is headed by Shin Dong-il who also headed their former label Swing Entertainment during the time in which Wanna One was active.
On April 20, 2021, Sport Kyunghang announced that CJ ENM applied to close Stone Music Entertainment from April 8. According to the news, CJ ENM stated that they are “working on reorganizing its sub-labels for efficiency.”
Partnerships and Music distributionsEdit
Labels and Investments
Off The Record Entertainment
Wake One Entertainment
Former artists and actorsEdit
- "[단독]CJ ENM, 레이블 재편 본격화". Naver (in Korean). April 20, 2021. Archived from the original on April 20, 2021. Retrieved April 20, 2021.
- "CJ E&M launches game distribution JV in Taiwan". Korea Times. 2012-09-13. Archived from the original on 2019-05-17. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Winners from 'The 3rd GAON Chart Kpop Awards'!". Allkpop. 2014-02-12. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Jellyfish Entertainment, Music Works, MMO, and 1877 Become Label Companies Under CJ E&M". www.mnetamerica.com. Archived from the original on 2018-06-12. Retrieved 2018-04-07.
- Herald, The Korea (28 April 2014). "CJ E&M, Victor Entertainment launch music joint venture". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "CJ E&M "B2M과 전략적 제휴 체결, 매니지먼트·홍보 협력"". Archived from the original on 2018-06-14. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "Daum 요청하신 페이지의 사용권한이 없습니다". m.media.daum.net. Archived from the original on 2016-01-25. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "CJ E&M, 박재범·쌈디의 힙합 레이블 AOMG 인수". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "[공식입장] 블랙아이드필승, CJ E&M과 손잡고 '하이업 엔터' 설립". Archived from the original on 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "젤리피쉬엔터테인먼트, 황세준 대표가 지분 처분". Archived from the original on 2021-05-14. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "[단독]CJ E&M, 다듀·크러시 속한 아메바컬쳐 마저 품는다". Archived from the original on 2021-05-14. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "오프더레코드 "오늘부터 아이즈원X프로미스나인 소속사, 전폭지원" [공식입장 전문]". Archived from the original on 2021-05-14. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- Genie Music poses threat to Melon by acquiring CJ Digital Music Archived 2018-10-23 at the Wayback Machine (Jun Ji-hye, The Korea Times, 2018-10-09)
- "강다니엘·윤지성, Mmo→Lm 엔터로 변경‥최선 다해 지원할 것[공식입장]". 2019-01-31. Archived from the original on 2019-02-01. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "CJ ENM Shuts Down Stone Music Entertainment". 2020-04-20. Archived from the original on 2021-04-20. Retrieved 2021-04-20.
- "TO1의 당찬 새 출발, 신곡 'Son of Beast' MV 티저 공개". 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- CJ ENM https://www.cjem.net:433/business/music. Archived from the original on 2021-04-02. Retrieved 2021-03-29. Missing or empty
- "Stonemusic". Stone Music Entertainment. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "미아(Mia), 레이블 스튜디오블루 계약…헤이즈와 한솥밥". Archived from the original on 2019-02-03. Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- "엑스원, 5개월만 결국 해체…"멤버·소속사간 전원 합의 안돼" [공식입장 전문]". entertain.naver.com (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2020-03-22. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "[공식입장] 인투잇(IN2IT), 소속사와 전속계약 해지 "팬카페-SNS, 멤버들이 직접 관리할 것" - 김효진 기자". 톱스타뉴스 (in Korean). February 10, 2020. Archived from the original on June 15, 2020. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- Lee, Jung-ho (September 16, 2020). "헤이즈, 싸이와 손잡았다..피네이션 합류" [Heize, held hands of Psy.. joins P Nation]. Star News (in Korean). Archived from the original on December 28, 2020. Retrieved September 16, 2020 – via Naver.
- "Korea's Fair Trade Commission fines 15 music distributors for collectively rigging prices". allkpop. March 1, 2011. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved July 24, 2013.