This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sreekumaran Thampi (born 16 March 1940) is an Indian lyricist,music director, director, producer, and screenwriter in Malayalam cinema. He also writes poetry and is a recipient of the prestigious Vallathol Award. He is only person to deal with all these departments above mentioned in Malayalam film history.
Thampi in 2018
Thampi was introduced to the Malayalam film industry in 1966 by P. Subramaniam as a lyricist in the film Kaattumallika. He has produced 25 films, directed 29, and written scripts for 85 films in Malayalam besides writing thousands of songs. He is also the author of the well-known literary work Prem Nazir Enna Prema Gaanam. He won the National Award for Best Book on Cinema film (Kanakkum Kavitayum) whilst his films Gaanam and Mohiniyattam won Kerala State Awards.
He is a songwriter, screenplay writer, film producer, director and musician, but says he is more of a lyricist than a filmmaker. His songs include "Chandrikayilaliyunna Chandrakaantham", "Hridayasarasile pranayapushpame" and "Swonthamenna padathinendhartham". His films Chandrakantham, Gaanam, Mohiniyattam, Maalika Paniyunnavar, Jeevitham Oru Gaanam and Ambalavilakku became artistic successes. His successful box office films include Naayattu, Aakramanam and Idi Muzhakkam.
Thampi is widely known as "Hrudaya Ragangaluday Kavi" (Poet of Love Songs), as the majority of his songs invoke romantic moods. He is known for his obstinate and uncompromising attitude to his work and strives to make his songs blend with the scene.
Thampi has written four novels - Kakkathampuraatti, Kuttanad, Kadalum Karalum and Njanoru Kadha Parayam and collections of poems Engineerayuday Veena, Neelathaamara, En Makan Karayumpol, Sheershakamillatha Kavithakal, Achante Chumbanam , Ammakkoru Tharaattu.Puthralaabham and Avaseshippukal. His collection of 1001 selected songs, titled Hridaya Sarassu, had three editions in two years. Now going to its sixth Edition. His selected Poems are published in Hindi with the title " SREEKUMARAN THAMPI KI KAVITHAYEM ".
Thampi was born at Haripad, Alappuzha District, on 16 March 1940 to Kalarikkal Krishna Pillai (from Thonnackad near Mavelikara) and Karimpalayathu Bhavanikutty Thankachi (From Puluththitta Koyikkal Haripattu, related to the Royal House ). In an interview, he stated that his ancestors shifted from Chirakkal in Kannur district to Haripad He completed his schooling from Haripad government school. He is a graduate in mathematics from Sanatana Dharma College and civil engineer, graduated from Govt. Engineering College, Thrissur.
His siblings are the renowned novelist late P. Vasudevan Thampi who wrote novels like Sreekrishnaparinthu (which became a hit Malayalam film), Advocate P. Gopalakrishnan Thampi, the former Director General of Prosecutions (Kerala),and former chairman of Kerala Bar Council, Thulasi Gopinath and Prasannavadanan Thampi, former Vice President of Oracle Financial Systems Software Ltd. Thampi is married to Rajeswari and they have a daughter (Kavitha). His wife and daughter have also dabbled in the arts. He also had a son, Rajakumaran Thampi (also known as Raj Aditya) was an erstwhile associate of Priyadarshan and later directed some movies in the Telugu film industry, until his sudden death in Secundarabad in March 2009. Sreekumaran Thampi has three grand daughters Thanmaya, Varada and Thanaya. He is settled in Chennai and his office is in Trivandrum.
- 1989 - Best Book on Cinema (book - Cinema, Kannakkum Kavithayum)
- 1971 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Lyricist (film - Vilakku Vangiya Veena)
- 1976 Kerala State Film Award for Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic value Film. Mohiniyattam.
- 1981 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value (film - Gaanam)
- 2011 - Best Lyricist (film - Naayika)
As Producer Director Mohana Darsanam ( D.D. Trivandrum.) Melappadam ( D.D. Trivandrum ) Akhara nruththam ( D.D.Trivandrum ) Kalayum Kalavum ( D.D.Trivandrum ) Akshayapathram ( Asianet ) Sapathni ( Asianet ) Akkarappacha (Asianet ) Dampathya Geethangal(Asianet ) Ammathampuratty ( Asianet ) Aliyanmarum Penganmarum.(Amrita TV ) Koyambaththoor Ammayi ( Amrita TV) Paattukalude Paattu ( Surya TV ) Bndhuvaru Sathruvaru ( Mazhavil Manorama )
- As actor
- Nilavum Nakshathrangalum
|1978||Etho Oru Swapnam|
|1979||Venalil Oru Mazha|
|1979||Jeevitham Oru Gaanam|
|1980||Swantham Enna Padam|
|1982||Enikkum Oru Divasam|
|1985||Vilichu Vili Kettu|
- Venkiteswaran, C. S. (17 May 2018). "Sreekumaran Thampi, the mark of a master". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "The Hindu : Entertainment Thiruvananthapuram / Interview : Guided by principles". thehindu.com. Retrieved 14 July 2019.
- "Sreekumaran Thampi gets Prem Nazir award". The Times of India. 1 January 2002.
- "Guided by principles". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 23 December 2005. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "P. V. Thampi - Renowned Malayalam novelist". haripad.in. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "P. G. Thampi - Renowned Advocate and novelist". haripad.in. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Vallathol prize". The Hindu. 12 September 2016.
- "Veteran Malayalam film personality Sreekumaran Thampi honoured with JC Daniel award". The Economic Times. Indo-Asian News Service. 29 March 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.