Sportsnet World is a Canadian English language Category B digital cable and satellite specialty channel that is owned by Rogers Media. Sportsnet World primarily airs top level association football (soccer), featuring exclusive coverage of the Premier League along with content from other leagues in Europe. In addition, it airs matches from Rugby league.
Sportsnet World logo
|Launched||August 10, 2007|
|Owned by||Rogers Media, a division of Rogers Communications|
(Rogers Sportsnet, Inc.)
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||Fuelled By Fans|
|Formerly called||Setanta Sports (2007–2011)|
|Bell TV||Channel 420 (SD)|
Channel 1414 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 460 / 433 (SD) |
Channels 121 / 621 (HD)
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 119 (SD)|
Channel 619 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 420 (SD)|
Channel 1420 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 521 (SD)|
Channel 1521 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 1021 (SD)|
Channel 1001 (HD)
1002-1007 (SNW Plus)
|SaskTel||Channel 245 (SD)|
Channel 545 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 370 (HD)|
The channel was launched as Setanta Sports, in partnership with Ireland-based Setanta Sports, on August 10, 2007 in time for the 2007–08 Premier League season, as a dedicated channel within Rogers' sports pay-per-view service Sportsnet PPV. Although operating under a pay-per-view licence, Setanta acted as a pay television service, with a 24-hour commercial-free schedule, rather than a pay-per-view service where customers are prompted to pay a price for each individual event.
Rogers later applied to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a category 2 digital licence which was approved on July 15, 2008 under the name Sportsnet 2.
In mid-2009, Rogers swapped licences for Setanta Sports, from using the pay-per-view licence to the category 2 digital licence, without interrupting service; at which point, the Irish-based Setanta Sports company gained a 33.33% interest in the Rogers subsidiary that owns 80% of the channel, as well as a 20% interest in the channel itself.
In July 2011, Rogers announced that Setanta Sports would be rebranded as part of the Sportsnet family of networks on October 3, 2011, becoming Sportsnet World. The change was intended to allow the channel to be cross-promoted through other Sportsnet properties; the change came alongside a larger, overall rebranding of the Rogers Sportsnet group of channels launched the same day. In preparation for the relaunch, Setanta Sports' minority stake in the channel was sold to another company, MLM Management, and the rights to Setanta programming were maintained by the channel. Despite being branded as a Sportsnet service, it remained a premium channel separate from the Sportsnet regional networks and Sportsnet One. MLM Management's interest in the channel was sold to Rogers in early 2012, giving Rogers 100% interest in the service.
Sportsnet World features live and recorded events from the following leagues and competitions:
- England: Premiership Rugby
Sportsnet World HDEdit
Sportsnet World HD is a high definition simulcast of Sportsnet World's standard definition feed. It was launched on August 1, 2010 as Setanta Sports HD. It was renamed Sportsnet World HD on October 3, 2011 to coincide with the rebranding of Setanta Sports to Sportsnet World.
- ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-142. Crtc.gc.ca (2008-07-15). Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
-  Archived October 28, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- Krashinsky, Susan. "Rogers builds Sportsnet brand with soccer station". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- Krashinsky, Susan. "Sportsnet drops the 'Rogers' and gains a whole new look". The Globe and Mail.
- "Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2011-748" (PDF). CRTC. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- CRTC ownership chart Retrieved on 2012-08-12
- "Sportsnet World - Sports". www.sportsnet.ca. Retrieved April 14, 2012.
- "Sportsnet World - Sports". Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Setanta Sports HD To Launch in August, Broadcaster Magazine, July 15, 2010.
- Shaw Communications [@ShawInfo] (1 March 2012). "We are excited to launch Sportsnet World HD today! For more information, visit our Facebook page at" (Tweet) – via Twitter. ,<https://twitter.com/ShawInfo/status/175022278994698242