Sonny with a Chance(Redirected from Sonny With A Chance)
Sonny with a Chance is an American sitcom created by Steve Marmel which aired for two seasons on Disney Channel from February 8, 2009 to January 2, 2011. The series follows the experiences of teenager Sonny Munroe, portrayed by Demi Lovato, who becomes the newest accepted cast member of her favorite live comedy television show, So Random!.
|Sonny with a Chance|
|Created by||Steve Marmel|
|Theme music composer||
|Opening theme||"So Far, So Great" by Demi Lovato|
|Composer(s)||Chris Alan Lee
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||47 (list of episodes)|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney Channel|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||February 8, 2009– January 2, 2011|
Sonny with a Chance was the first Disney Channel Original Series to be shot and aired in high-definition from the beginning. Like most of Disney Channel's sitcoms, it is shot on tape but uses a "filmized" appearance. The second season, some scenes are shot on location. The series is one of the three Disney Channel Original Series to feature a show-within-a-show, along with The Famous Jett Jackson and Shake It Up.
Sonny with a Chance was renewed for a second season in June 2009, which premiered in March 2010 to 6.3 million viewers. Disney Channel had originally renewed the series for a third season in November 2010, but Lovato's role was at an uncertainty at the time after she checked into treatment for personal struggles two weeks prior. Production of the third season commenced without Lovato in January 2011, focusing on the So Random! aspect rather than behind the scenes. In April 2011, Disney Channel confirmed that Lovato would not be returning to the series' lead role and Sonny with a Chance would not return, choosing instead to rebrand the already-filmed third season as a spin-off titled So Random!. The spin-off aired for a single season before being cancelled.
- Demi Lovato as Allison "Sonny" Munroe
- Sonny is a friendly, eccentric and well-intentioned teenage girl from Appleton, Wisconsin who lands a main role on her favorite comedy sketch television show, So Random!. She is a rising star of the ensemble cast and works hard to be the best comedian she can be. Sonny often tries to solve the ongoing feud between the Mackenzie Falls and So Random! casts, especially when she dates the star of "Mackenzie Falls," Chad Dylan Cooper. She was Chad's girlfriend as of the episode "Falling for the Falls" until they split in "Sonny with a Choice". As seen in further episodes, all of her co-stars are very fond of her. She does not appear in So Random!, due to Lovato's departure.
- Tiffany Thornton as Tawni Hart
- Tawni is a main cast member of "So Random!" who is jealous of Sonny. She originally feared Sonny was moving in on her spotlight and acted meanly towards the newcomer. However, after a while, the two become best friends. Tawni is a diva; she loves mirrors, make-up and everything about herself. She is self-centered, but also talented and has a soft side. She has a similar personality to Chad. She prefers to wear "Coco Mocho Coco" lipstick, as stated in many episodes.
- Sterling Knight as Chad Dylan Cooper
- Chad is a teen heartthrob as the star on Mackenzie Falls, the rival teen TV series of So Random!. He is stubborn, egotistical, pampered, and self-centered, but he has a soft side, which he usually only shows to Sonny. He and Sonny had a love-hate relationship until the 2nd season when he was Sonny's boyfriend as of the episode "Falling for the Falls" until they split in "Sonny with a Choice." As a result of this romance, he started to warm up to the So Random! cast and eventually started to "hang out" with them. It is shown that he still has feelings for Sonny in the episode after they split. Many fans assume that in a parallel universe the two will become a couple again, even though Demi Lovato left the show. In the first season, he was seen as a stubborn, vain young man, but in later episodes, he has changed to be more loving and kind. Throughout season 1 he displays feelings for Sonny. For example, in the episode "Sonny with a Chance of Dating" Chad was jealous when he found out Sonny was going on a date with James. In addition, in the same episode, when Chad and Sonny were fake dating, Chad said to put her head on his shoulder hinting that he likes her. In the episode, "You've got Fan Mail", Sonny seems touched that Chad actually cared enough to dress up as Eric for her. Chad tries to cover it up by saying he just wanted to try on the beard that went along with the Eric costume. Again, in episode 16 of the first season, "Sonny in the Kitchen with Dinner", Chad becomes jealous when he sees the news on a magazine about Sonny kissing Hayden because of the kiss cam.
- Brandon Mychal Smith as Nico Harris
- Nico is a cast member of So Random! who is best friends with Grady. He is always striking out with the girls and has a crush on Mackenzie Falls star Penelope, who constantly turns him down when he asks her out. A running gag throughout the series is Nico jumping into Grady's arms when he gets scared, like Scooby and Shaggy. He is said to have been discovered in a one-man band.
- Doug Brochu as Grady Mitchell
- Grady is a cast member of So Random!. He is best friends with Nico who often calls him "G". Grady is always involved in strange plans with Nico. He is shown to be dull-witted, gullible and immature. He also comes up with very strange conclusions to certain situations. He loves to eat and hates exercising. He claims to be an expert lip-reader, but very often misreads his targets' mouths and comes up with non-sensical sentences. In the episode "The New Girl" he tells Nico that when he's around a girl that he believes likes him, he will turn into a Scotsman named Seamus McGregor. He has a big brother named Grant who is in college and is the leader of his own fraternity.
- Allisyn Ashley Arm as Zora Lancaster
- Zora is the youngest cast member of So Random!. She is very smart, mysterious, crazy and clever. She is the most cunning of the 'So Random!' cast and is known as "the weird one". She often pops out of nowhere, surprising her friends. She is somewhat a detective and puts her skills to use in the "So Random" studio. She listens in on her friends' conversations and then shocks them by speaking to them about it later on. She appeared sporadically throughout the second season.
The original working title for the series was Sketchpad!, and the original name for the main character was Molly Munroe. The show's title was later changed to Welcome to Mollywood. After the first publicity materials about the show were released, the lead character's name was then changed to Holli and the title changed once again to Welcome to Holliwood. The main character's name was later changed to Sonny Munroe, and the show's title was changed for a final time to Sonny with a Chance. The name is a play on the words "Sunny with a chance of rain", as heard in weather forecasts, reflecting the many comical situations in which the cast find themselves in each episode. Originally Lovato auditioned with Bridgit Mendler for the role, but Lovato was chosen.[unreliable source?]
Sonny with a Chance has a show-within-a-show, So Random!, complete with fully produced sketches. The show's executive producer Brian Robbins previously wrote for and served as an executive producer on the real-life kids sketch comedy series All That and The Amanda Show for Nickelodeon.
Gary Marsh, president of entertainment, Disney Channel Worldwide, stated "This series is rooted in one of the core thematic attributes that we stand for, which is following your dreams, there also was the opportunity to do a hybrid show." The show began production on September 15, 2008 and the first season was taped at Stage 11 at NBC Studios in Burbank, California; for the second season, the show's production moved to Hollywood Center Studios in Hollywood, California, where The Suite Life on Deck, Wizards of Waverly Place and Jonas are also filmed.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||21||February 8, 2009||November 22, 2009|
|2||26||March 14, 2010||January 2, 2011|
Shows within the showEdit
So Random! is a comedy sketch series that employs most of the main cast. It often causes the cast of Sonny with a Chance to dress in ridiculous costumes, and act out nonsensical situations. This was spun-off to its own series after Lovato's departure.
The enemies of the So Random! group, Mackenzie Falls is a tween drama series featuring comedic overacting. The show is similar to Dawson's Creek and Gossip Girl, among others. The show's name, Mackenzie Falls, comes from Chad's character's name and the name of the town (which is located near a waterfall). In the season two episode "The Legend of Candy Face", the cast of So Random! made a parody of Mackenzie Falls titled Mackenzie Stalls, which was set in a bathroom. Minisodes and promos can be seen on the Sonny with a Chance website along with one minisode as a bonus feature on the DVD.
Theme song and opening sequenceEdit
The show's theme song "So Far, So Great", was written and produced by Jeanne Lurie, Chen Neeman and Aristedis "Aris" Archontis, who have each written songs for several artists on Disney-owned Hollywood Records. It is performed by series actress Demi Lovato. The theme is of pop-rock style (the music cues composed by Chris Alan Lee and Scott Clausen, signaling scene changes and commercial breaks are styled similarly).
A full-length version of this theme was released via the Radio Disney network on March 31, 2009, less than two months after the show's U.S. premiere. The theme song is also featured as a track on the Disney compilation album, Disney Channel Playlist, released by Walt Disney Records on June 9, 2009. The song is also available as the bonus track on Lovato's second album Here We Go Again, released by Hollywood Records on July 21, 2009.
In the Russian version of the series ("Дайте Санни шанс" aka Give Sonny a Chance), the cast member's names are rendered in Cyrillic—and the intro is performed by a different Russian girl in Russian (not by Demi Lovato). Otherwise, in translation the intro music is not changed.
In the Brazilian Portuguese version ("Sunny Entre Estrelas"), the intro music is sung in translation.
The series originally premiered on February 8, 2009 on Disney Channel, Family Channel, and Disney Channel (UK and Ireland). In Australia it premiered on April 27, 2009 on Disney Channel and on February 13, 2010 on Seven Network. In New Zealand the series premiered on April 27, 2009 on Disney Channel and on August 15, 2010 on TV2. The series started airing on May 22, 2009 on Disney Channel (India), on September 5, 2009 on Disney Channel (Europe, Middle East and Africa), and on October 17, 2009 on Disney Channel (Southeast Asia).
The second season originally premiered on March 14, 2010. It premiered on April 5, 2010 in Canada and on April 23, 2010 in the UK and Ireland. In New Zealand it premiered on May 10, 2010 on Disney Channel. In Australia it started on the same date on Disney Channel and on February 12, 2011 on Seven Network. It premiered on November 20, 2010 in India, on May 1, 2010 in the EMEA region and on April 3, 2011 in Southeast Asia.
|Sonny with a Chance: Sonny's Big Break||August 25, 2009 (United States)||"Sketchy Beginnings", "West Coast Story", "Sonny at the Falls", "Cheater Girls", "Sonny in the Middle" (bonus episode)|
|Bonus features include a never before seen season 1 episode entitled, "Sonny in the Middle". The DVD also includes a Mackenzie Falls season finale short, a collectible card and Demi Lovato's official 2007 audition tape for the series.|
|DVD Title||Release Date||Episodes Featured||Bonus Features|
|Season 1: Volume 1: Hello, Hollywood!||AUS: March 3, 2010
UK: August 2, 2010
First seven episodes (4:3 versions)
|Season 1: Volume 2: So Far, So Great!||AUS: June 2, 2010
UK: August 23, 2010
Seven episodes (4:3 versions)
|Season 1: Volume 3: Star On The Rise!||AUS: August 3, 2010
UK: September 13, 2010
Seven episodes (4:3 versions)
|Season 2: Volume 1: Sonny With a Chance of So Random!||AUS: N/A
Eight episodes (4:4 versions)
|Season 2: Volume 2: Channy in Love?||AUS:
Ten Episodes (4:6 versions)
|Season 2: Volume 3: Up & Down||AUS:
Six episodes (4:2 versions)
Currently the most watched episode of the series is "Walk a Mile in My Pants" with 6.3 million viewers. The episode "Gassie Passes" is the least watched episode, scoring 2.9 million viewers.
|Season||Timeslot||Season premiere||Season finale||Episode #||Viewers
|Most watched episode|
|Season 1||Sundays, 8:30/7:30c||February 8, 2009||November 22, 2009||21||3.93||"Sonny in the Kitchen with Dinner"||5.3|
|Season 2||Sundays, 8/7c (episodes 1–19)
Sundays, 9/8c (episodes 20–25)
Sunday, 8/7c (series finale)
|March 14, 2010||January 2, 2011||26||4.09||"Walk a Mile in My Pants"||6.3|
Demi Lovato's departure and So Random!Edit
It was announced on November 12, 2010 that the third season would begin production without Lovato, due to her recovering from health issues. The series would now focus on the sketch/comedy/music-variety show So Random!, centering on guest stars, sketches, digital shorts, and musical performances, a similar format to Saturday Night Live, but targeted at a much younger audience. Production of the third season began on January 30, 2011.
On April 19, 2011, People.com reported that Demi Lovato would not be returning for the third season. As a result, the show would be renamed So Random! and focus only on the sketches rather than the behind-the-scenes antics. As a result of Lovato's departure from Sonny with a Chance, the series is the second Disney Channel original series to have its lead actor/actress leave during the series' run (after So Weird), and the fourth Disney Channel series to have a main cast member leave the series during its run (with That's So Raven and Jonas also included).
The third season was then turned into its own new series based on its new format.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2009||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Breakout Star Female||Demi Lovato||Won|||
|Australian Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Comedy Show||Sonny with a Chance||Nominated|||
|2010||2010 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite TV Show||Sonny with a Chance||Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Show: Comedy||Sonny with a Chance||Nominated|||
|Choice TV Actress: Comedy||Demi Lovato||Nominated|||
|Choice TV Actor: Comedy||Sterling Knight||Nominated|||
|Young Artist Awards||Best Performance In A TV Series (Comedy or Drama) – Supporting Young Actress||Allisyn Ashley Arm||Nominated|||
|Hollywood Teen TV Awards||Teen Show Pick: Comedy||Sonny with a Chance||Won|||
|Teen Pick Actor: Comedy||Sterling Knight||Won|||
|Teen Pick Actress: Comedy||Demi Lovato||Won|||
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Comedy||Demi Lovato||Nominated|||
|ALMA Awards||Favorite TV Actress – Leading Role in a Comedy||Demi Lovato||Won|||
- "So far so great". Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- Michael Schneider (2008-05-20). "'Mollywood' welcomed to Disney – Demi Lovato to star in live-action series". Variety. Retrieved 2008-05-21.
- "Disney Channel Renews Hannah with a Change, Sonny with a Chance". TV Guide. June 1, 2009. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Demi Lovato's Sonny With A Chance Gets Name Change". PerezHilton.com. 2011-04-03. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- "Demi Lovato leaving Sonny with a Chance". hollywoodlife.com. April 19, 2011. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- Schneider, Michael (November 12, 2010). "Disney to rework Demi Lovato series". Variety. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- "Lemonade Mouth Star: Bridgit Mendler". Yahoo!. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Kimberly Nordyke (May 20, 2008). "Disney greenlights 'Mollywood'". The Hollywood Reporter. 404: 3. Archived from the original on May 28, 2008. Retrieved May 20, 2008.
- Disney Channel to Revamp Demi Lovato Series Yahoo!.com
- "Sonny With a Chance Russian opening (season 2)". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- Sonny with a Chance Soundtrack
- iTunes Preview Page
- "From teen wizards to rock stars on Disney". Bribie Weekly. January 8, 2010. p. 12.
- Sonny With A Chance: Hello Hollywood – Season 1: Volume 1
- "Jonas Thrice the Fun". Sunday Herald Sun. May 30, 2010. p. 4.
- Sonny With A Chance: So Far, So Great – Season 1: Volume 2
- "łeb pełen filmów!" (in Polish). Filmweb.pl. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "Fanartikel-Kalender". SaveDisneyShows.de. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- Gorman, Bill (March 30, 2010). "Disney Channel Claims its Most-Watched March Ever in Total Day in Total Viewers, Kids 6–11 and Tweens 9–14". TVbytheNumbers.
- Finn, Jessica (January 7, 2011). "We Know The Official Start Date For 'Sonny With A Chance' — Will Demi Make It Out In Time? Exclusive!". Hollywood Life. Retrieved January 7, 2011.
- Grego, Melissa (November 4, 2010). "Disney Channels Ramp Up Series Episodes By 30 Percent". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved November 5, 2010.
- Demi Lovato Is Leaving Sonny with a Chance – People.com
- Demi Lovato Exits Disney Series: 'I Don't Think It Would Be Healthy for My Recovery' – TVLine.com
- "Announcing the Winners of the 2009 Teen Choice Awards!".
- "2009 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards Australia – Winners".
- "2010 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards – Nominees".
- "2010 Teen Choice Awards – Winners".
- "31st Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards.
- "Hollywood Teen TV Awards".
- "Nominados a los Teen Choice Awards 2011".
- "Teen Choice Awards 2011 winners".
- "The 2011 ALMA Award Winners".