Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW Publishing)
Sonic the Hedgehog is a comic book series based on the Sega video game franchise, published by IDW Publishing. It is the third licensed comic book iteration based on Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog intellectual property, after Fleetway Publications's Sonic the Comic and Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog series.
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
Promotional artwork from New York Comic-Con by Tyson Hesse (2017)
Sega of America
|Publication date||April 4, 2018–present|
|Written by||Ian Flynn|
|Editor(s)||Joe Hughes, David Mariotte|
On July 21, 2017, IDW Publishing announced a deal with Sega to produce a new series of Sonic comics following the cancellation of Archie Comics' previous series. The new series will begin with a four-week long event where the first four issues will be released each week in April 2018, followed by a monthly release of subsequent issues starting in May 2018. Writer Ian Flynn is confirmed to return alongside artist Tyson Hesse.
During New York Comic Con 2017, Ian Flynn confirmed that characters old and new will be featured in the upcoming series hinting that characters from the games and the original comics might possibly return in the series. On December 28, 2017 however, Flynn revealed that the characters he created for Archie Comics are off-limits in the IDW Sonic comics.
On January 11, 2018, IDW launched a Facebook page entitled "IDW Sonic Comic Squad!", where they will release all the latest news on the IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comics. A couple of days later IDW revealed that Tracy Yardley, who originally worked on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics, will be one of the pencillers for IDW's incarnation. Several other artists from the Archie Comics series have also contributed to the IDW series.
The story begins shortly after the events of Sonic Forces. The Resistance has defeated Doctor Eggman, who has gone missing, but his remaining robots continue to attack small villages around the world. Sonic must work together with old friends like Tails, Knuckles and Amy, along with new allies like Tangle the Lemur and Whisper the Wolf, in order to protect the innocent, fight against old foes like Dr. Eggman and new foes like Rough and Tumble the skunks, and find out who is controlling Eggman's forces. It is revealed that Eggman had landed in a village, and having sustained amnesia, has taken the friendly persona of "Mr. Tinker", whom Sonic decides is reformed. It's soon revealed Metal Sonic is leading the Eggman Empire in his master's absence, and eventually conquers Angel Island, leading the heroes to take him on. Utilizing the powers of the Master Emerald, Metal Sonic assumes a Super Mode, and then assumes a stronger, monstrous form called Master Overlord, but through Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles' efforts, Metal Sonic is thwarted and Angel Island liberated. Unfortunately, Mr. Tinker is kidnapped by Rough and Tumble at the behest of new villain Dr. Starline, who intends to restore him back into Dr. Eggman.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #1-present (Began weekly publications in April 2018 and then it became monthly in May 2018.)
- Team Sonic Racing (December 2018) (A prequel story for the upcoming Sonic game Team Sonic Racing.)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2019 (March 2019) (An annual edition comic which contains 5 new stories.)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 1-4 Box Set (June 2018) (collects issues #1-4)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 1: Fallout! (September 2018) (a reprint of #1-4 containing the arc "Fallout!")
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 2: The Fate of Dr. Eggman (February 2019) (a reprint of #5-8)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 3: Battle For Angel Island (July 2019) (a reprint of #9-12)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 4: Infection (September 2019) (a reprint of #13-16)
Bleeding Cool gave the first issue a score of 6.5/10, praising the art and creativity of the story but criticizing Sonic's characterization: "Sonic is an insufferable character... He's smug, annoying, and radical in that 1990's sense."
- "SEGA® and IDW Publishing Dash Forward with Partnership Deal". IDW Publishing. July 21, 2017. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- "New Sonic the Hedgehog™ Series Will Launch in April 2018 with a Four-Week Event". IDW Publishing. October 8, 2017. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- "Sonic IDW NYCC Ian Flynn"./
- "New 'Sonic The Hedgehog' Comics Revealed".
- "EXCLUSIVE: Sonic the Hedgehog Speeds Into the IDW Era with Two New Covers". 23 January 2018.
- "Sonic The Hedgehog Returns to Comics in 2018 - Nerdist". 23 January 2018.
- Davison, Joshua (April 5, 2018). "Sonic the Hedgehog #1 Review: Creative Action Scenes Make Up for an Annoying Lead". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved 6 April 2018.