|Traded as||Euronext: SOLB|
CAC Next 20 Component
|Founder||Alfred and Ernest Solvay|
|Headquarters||Neder-Over-Heembeek, Brussels, Belgium|
|Nicolas Boël (Chairman), Ilham Kadri (CEO)|
|Products||Chemicals and plastics|
|Revenue||€10.3 billion (2018)|
|€897 million (2018)|
|Total assets||€22,000 million (2018)|
|Total equity||€10,624 million (2018)|
Number of employees
In 2015, it realized €12.4 billion in revenues, €2.336 billion of REBITDA, 43% of its sales in emerging high-growth countries, 90% of its sales in markets where it is ranked among the top three manufacturers. With 145 sites, Solvay employs 30,900 people in 53 countries.
Founded in 1863 by Ernest Solvay and his brother Alfred Solvay to produce sodium carbonate by the Solvay process, the company has diversified into two main sectors of activity: chemicals and plastics. Before World War I, Solvay was the largest multinational company in the world. It was formerly also active in pharmaceuticals, but agreed to sell that entire division to Abbott Labs for €4.5 billion in September 2009, a deal completed in February 2010.
Since January 2012, the new Solvay is listed on the NYSE Euronext in Paris and joined the CAC 40 index in September 2012. Solvay is historically listed on the NYSE Euronext in Brussels and part of BEL20 index.
Following its integration with Rhodia, the Committee of Executive Members at Solvay reorganised its various business units into five segments – Consumer Chemicals, Advanced Materials, Performance Chemicals, Functional Polymers and Corporate & Business Services, effective from 2013.
On December 3, 2015, Solvay launched a share issue sent to existing shareholders, completing funding for the $5.5 billion purchase of Cytec Industries Inc.
Solvay is a main partner of Solar Impulse and has contributedresearch and development resources to their solar powered airplane project. That aircraft conducted its first test flight on 3 December 2009, and since then has made solar-powered flights from Switzerland to Spain and Morocco in 2012.
Currently, Solar Impulse II is attempting a round the world flight.
Fuel cell technology
SolviCore, a joint venture by Umicore and Solvay in the field of fuel cells is already pre-marketing membrane-electrode assemblies for different types of fuel cells for portable or mobile use.
New generation lithium batteries for hybrid vehicles components make use of Solvay fluorinated polymers inorder to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
Novosol: sodium bicarbonate-based process for treating and recovering mineral residues contaminated with heavy metals. 
Development and industrialization of proprietary Epicerol process for manufacturing epichlorhydrin from natural glycerin.
- "Consolidated Financial Statements in 2018 Annual Integrated Report" (PDF). Solvay.
- "Key Figures in 2018 Annual Integrated Report". Solvay.
- "Solvay 150 Years History". Archived from the original on 2013-06-22. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Tilting the global balance: An interview with the CEO of Solvay | McKinsey". www.mckinsey.com. Archived from the original on 2019-10-07. Retrieved 2019-11-28.
- Gray-Block, Aaron; Blenkinsop, Philip (28 September 2009). "Abbott buys Solvay's drugs unit for 4.5 bln euros". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- Gray-Block, Aaron (4 April 2011). "Solvay bids 3.4 bln euros for France's Rhodia". Reuters. Archived from the original on 7 April 2011. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Peugeot dropped from French index". September 7, 2012 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Full year 2014 financial report". Solvay. Archived from the original on 5 April 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Solvay Conferences Fundings". Archived from the original on 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Solvay launches 1.5 bln euro rights issue for Cytec buy". Reuters. 2015-12-03. Archived from the original on 2015-12-05. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- https://annualreports.solvay.com/2017/en/servicepages/downloads/files/entire_solvay_ar17.pdf Archived 2019-02-04 at the Wayback Machine "Solvay SA Rue de Ransbeek, 310 1120 Brussels Belgium"
- "Solvay Headquarters access map Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine." Solvay. Retrieved on 5 July 2011. "Rue du Prince Albert, 33 - 1050 Ixelles"
- "Solvay News & Press Regional contacts Archived 2011-08-08 at the Wayback Machine." Solvay. Retrieved on 5 July 2011. "Solvay America, Inc. 3333 Richmond Avenue Houston TX 77098-3009"
- "Harris County Improvement District #3 Archived 2008-10-30 at the Wayback Machine." (see map) Upper Kirby. Retrieved on December 10, 2008.
- "Partners". Archived from the original on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "Présentation SolviCore". Archived from the original on 2009-12-12. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- http://www.solvaysolexis.com/static/wma/pdf/1/6/3/3/5/Solef_Liion_20090827EN.pdf[permanent dead link] Lithium batteries for hybrid vehicles
- "Solvay Investor Relations". Solvay. Archived from the original on 2019-07-16. Retrieved 2019-11-28.
- "Newsroom". Solvay. Archived from the original on 2019-07-17. Retrieved 2019-11-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Solvay (company).|