|Died||July 26, 2016(aged 87)|
|Alma mater||California Institute of Technology |
University of California, Berkeley
|Thesis||Formal Consistency Proofs and Interpretability of Theories (1957)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alfred Tarski|
|Philosophy of mathematics|
Solomon Feferman was born in The Bronx in New York City to working-class parents who had immigrated to the United States after World War I and had met and married in New York. Neither parent had any advanced education. The family moved to Los Angeles, where Feferman graduated from high school at age 16.
He received his B.S. from the California Institute of Technology in 1948, and in 1957 his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of California, Berkeley, under Alfred Tarski, after having been drafted and having served in the U.S. Army from 1953 to 1955. In 1956 he was appointed to the Departments of Mathematics and Philosophy at Stanford University, where he later became the Patrick Suppes Professor of Humanities and Sciences.
Feferman was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1972 and 1986 and the Rolf Schock Prize in logic and philosophy in 2003. In 2006 he was invited to deliver the Tarski Lectures. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Feferman, Solomon; Vaught, Robert L. (1959), "The first order properties of products of algebraic systems", Fund. Math. 47, 57–103.
- Feferman, Solomon (1975), "A language and axioms for explicit mathematics", Algebra and logic (Fourteenth Summer Res. Inst., Austral. Math. Soc., Monash Univ., Clayton, 1974), pp. 87–139, Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 450, Berlin, Springer.
- Feferman, Solomon (1979), "Constructive theories of functions and classes", Logic Colloquium '78 (Mons, 1978), pp. 159–224, Stud. Logic Foundations Math., 97, Amsterdam, New York, North-Holland.
- Buchholz, Wilfried; Feferman, Solomon; Pohlers, Wolfram; Sieg, Wilfried (1981), "Iterated inductive definitions and subsystems of analysis: recent proof-theoretical studies", Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 897, Berlin, New York, Springer-Verlag.
- Feferman, Solomon; Hellman, Geoffrey (1995), "Predicative foundations of arithmetic", J. Philos. Logic 24 (1), 1–17.
- Avigad, Jeremy; Feferman, Solomon (1998), "Gödel's functional (Dialectica) interpretation", Handbook of proof theory, 337–405, Stud. Logic Found. Math., 137, Amsterdam, North-Holland.
- Solomon Feferman at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Reviews of Alfred Tarski:
- Dauben, Joseph W. (2005), Mathematical Reviews, MR 2095748CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Anellis, Irving H. (2005), "Review", The Review of Modern Logic, 10 (1–2): 117–130
- Davis, Philip J. (March 2005), "A life of logic and the illogic of life", SIAM News
- Davis, Martin (March–April 2005), "The Man Who Defined Truth", American Scientist, 93 (2): 175–177, JSTOR 27858554
- Shell-Gellasch, Amy (May 2005), "Review", MAA Reviews
- Misiuna, Krystyna (May 2005), History and Philosophy of Logic, 26 (2): 166–168, doi:10.1080/01445340412331313602CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Mendelson, Elliott (June 2005), Philosophia Mathematica, 13 (2): 231–232, doi:10.1093/philmat/nki020CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Kilmister, C. W. (July 2005), The Mathematical Gazette, 89 (515): 330–331, JSTOR 3621256CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Schmit, Roger (Fall 2005), Archives de Philosophie, 68 (3): 546–547, JSTOR 43038344CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Maddux, Roger D. (December 2005), The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, 11 (4): 535–540, JSTOR 3396716CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Kybernetes, 35 (1/2), January 2006, doi:10.1108/k.2006.06735aae.002CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Lescanne, Pierre (March 2006), ACM SIGACT News, 37 (1): 27, doi:10.1145/1122480.1122489CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Carnielli, Walter (March 2006), Logic and Logical Philosophy, 15 (1), doi:10.12775/llp.2006.005CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Wood, Carol (April 2006), The American Mathematical Monthly, 113 (4): 377–379, doi:10.2307/27641942, JSTOR 27641942CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Oberdan, Thomas (June 2006), Isis, 97 (2): 362–363, doi:10.1086/507375, JSTOR 10.1086/507375CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Grattan-Guinness, Ivor (September 2006), The British Journal for the History of Science, 39 (3): 469–470, JSTOR 4028507CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Apt, Krzysztof R. (March 2007), "Alfred Tarski: life and logic", The Mathematical Intelligencer, 29 (2): 78–80, doi:10.1007/bf02986214
- Sinaceur, Hourya Benis (September 2007), "Review" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 54 (8): 986–989
- Bassols, Alejandro Tomasini (April 2006), Crítica: Revista Hispanoamericana de Filosofía, 38 (112): 105–111, JSTOR 40104969CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Brown, Scott H. (March 2009), The Mathematics Teacher, 102 (7): 558, JSTOR 20876430CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Bremer, Manuel (December 2009), "Review", Philosophy in Review, 29 (6): 404
- Nerode, Anil (March 2010), The American Mathematical Monthly, 117 (3): 286–288, doi:10.4169/000298910x480144, JSTOR 10.4169/000298910x480144CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Czernecka-Rej, Bożena (2011), Roczniki Filozoficzne, 59 (1): 79–84, JSTOR 43408916CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved December 2, 2012.
- Reviews of In the Light of Logic:
- Avigad, Jeremy (December 1999), The Journal of Philosophy, 96 (12): 638–642, doi:10.2307/2564698, JSTOR 2564698CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Antonelli, G. Aldo (June 2001), The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, 7 (2): 270–277, doi:10.2307/2687778, JSTOR 2687778CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Mendelson, E. (2001), Mathematical Reviews, MR 1661162CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)