Martin Davis (mathematician)
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Known for||Davis–Putnam algorithm|
work on Hilbert's tenth problem
|Awards||Chauvenet Prize (1975)|
|Institutions||New York University|
|Thesis||On the Theory of Recursive Unsolvability (1950)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alonzo Church|
|Doctoral students||Moshe Koppel, Donald W. Loveland|
Davis's parents were Jewish immigrants to the US from Łódź, Poland, and married after they met again in New York City. Davis grew up in the Bronx, where his parents encouraged him to obtain a full education.
Davis is the co-inventor of the Davis–Putnam algorithm and the DPLL algorithms. He is also known for his model of Post–Turing machines, and his work on Hilbert's tenth problem leading to the MRDP theorem.
Awards and honorsEdit
In 1975, Davis won the Leroy P. Steele Prize, the Chauvenet Prize (with Reuben Hersh), and in 1974 the Lester R. Ford Award for his expository writing related to his work on Hilbert's tenth problem. He became a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1982, and in 2012, he was selected as one of the inaugural fellows of the American Mathematical Society.
- Davis, Martin (1958). Computability and Unsolvability. New York: Dover. ISBN 0-486-61471-9.
- Davis, Martin (1977). Applied nonstandard analysis. New York: Wiley. ISBN 9780471198970.
- Davis, Martin; Weyuker, Elaine J.; Sigal, Ron (1994). Computability, complexity, and languages: fundamentals of theoretical computer science (2nd ed.). Boston: Academic Press, Harcourt, Brace. ISBN 9780122063824.
- Davis, Martin (2000). Engines of logic: mathematicians and the origin of the computer. New York: Norton. ISBN 9780393322293.
- Davis, Martin (1973), "Hilbert's Tenth Problem is Unsolvable", American Mathematical Monthly, 80(3), 233–269.
- Davis, Martin (1995), "Is mathematical insight algorithmic", Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 13(4), 659–60.
- Jackson, Allyn (September 2007), "Interview with Martin Davis" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society (published May 2008), 55 (5), pp. 560–571, ISSN 0002-9920, OCLC 1480366.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Martin Davis (mathematician)", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Martin Davis at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Davis, Martin (1973). "Hilbert's tenth problem is unsolvable". Amer. Math. Monthly. 80 (3): 233–269. doi:10.2307/2318447. JSTOR 2318447.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2014-03-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martin Davis.|