This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)
|Metro Station||Dum Dum|
|Kolkata Suburban Railway||Dum Dum Junction|
|Municipal Corporation||Kolkata Municipal Corporation|
|• Total||For population see linked KMC ward page|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Area code(s)||+91 33|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kolkata Uttar|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kashipur-Belgachhia|
The East India Company obtained from the Mughal emperor Farrukhsiyar, in 1717, the right to rent from 38 villages surrounding their settlement. Of these 5 lay across the Hooghly in what is now Howrah district. The remaining 33 villages were on the Calcutta side. After the fall of Siraj-ud-daulah, the last independent Nawab of Bengal, it purchased these villages in 1758 from Mir Jafar, and reorganised them. These villages were known en-bloc as Dihi Panchannagram and Sinthee was one of them. It was considered to be a suburb beyond the limits of the Maratha Ditch.
Sinthee police station is part of the North and North Suburban division of Kolkata Police. Located at 145/1 South Sinthi Road, Kolkata-700050, it has jurisdiction over Sinthee neighbourhood/ Ward No. 2 of Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Amherst Street Women police station covers all police districts under the jurisdiction of the North and North Suburban division i.e. Amherst Street, Jorabagan, Shyampukur, Cossipore, Chitpur, Sinthi, Burtolla and Tala.
Kolkata/Northern fringes travel guide from Wikivoyage
- "Kolkata Statistics". Kolkata Municipal Corporation. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "District Census Handbook Kolkata, Census of India 2011, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Pages 6-10: The History. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Cotton, H.E.A., Calcutta Old and New, first published 1909/reprint 1980, pages 103-4 and 221, General Printers and Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Nair, P.Thankappan, The Growth and Development of Old Calcutta, in Calcutta, the Living City, Vol. I, pp. 14-15, Edited by Sukanta Chaudhuri, Oxford University Press, 1995 edition.
- "Kolkata Police". North and North Suburban Division. KP. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- Kolkata: Detail Maps of 141 Wards with Street Directory, Fourth Impression 2003, Map No. 1, D.P.publication and Sales Concern, 66 College Street, Kolkata - 700 073.