List of single-ship actions(Redirected from Single-ship action)
A single-ship action is a naval engagement fought between two warships of opposing sides, excluding submarine engagements; called so because there is a single ship on each side. The following is a list of notable single-ship actions.
Anglo Spanish WarEdit
Golden Age of PiracyEdit
- 1720, October 20 - British sloop Snow-Tyger under Jonathan Barnet captures the pirate sloop William and its owner Calico Jack.
War of the Austrian SuccessionEdit
- 1743, June 20 - HMS Centurion captures the Spanish treasure galleon Nuestra Señora de la Covadonga
American Revolutionary WarEdit
- 1776, July 27 - USS Reprisal and HMS Shark have an inconclusive engagement
- 1778, April 24 - USS Ranger captures HMS Drake. (details)
- 1779, May 7 USS Providence captures HMS Diligent
- 1779, September 10 - USS Morris defeats HMS West Florida in the Battle of Lake Pontchartrain.
- 1779, September 14 - HMS Pearl defeats the Spanish frigate Santa Mónica. (details)
- 1779, November 11 - HMS Tartar captures the Spanish frigate Santa Margarita. (details)
- 1780, June 1 - USS Trumbull engages the British privateer Watt; both ships withdraw
- 1780, August 11 - HMS Flora defeats the French ship Nymphe in the first engagement thought to involve the carronade.
- 1781, March 23 - British privateer Tarleton, of 14 guns, captures American letter of marque Tom Lee, of 12 guns.
- 1781, May 1 - HMS Canada captures the Spanish frigate Santa Leocadia. (details)
- 1781, September 6 - American privateer Congress captures the British sloop HMS Savage. (details)
- 1782, April 6 - American privateer Tartar captures HMS Jane
- 1782, April 8 - Pennsylvania privateer Hyder Ally captures HMS General Monk. (details)
- 1782, 9 August - HMS Duc de Chartres captures the French brig Aigle
- 1782, August 12 - Frigate HMS Coventry inconclusively engages the French frigate Bellone
- 1782, December 6 - HMS Ruby defeats the French ship Solitaire. (details)
- 1783, January 22 - HMS Hussar captures the French frigate Sybille. (details)
French Revolutionary WarsEdit
- 1793, May 13 - HMS Iris and Citoyenne Française conduct an inconclusive but sanguinary engagement
- 1793, June 18 - HMS Nymphe captures the French frigate Cléopâtre (details)
- 1793, December 1 - The British packet ship Antelope captures the French privateer Atlante.
- 1794, May 29 - HMS Carysfort recaptures HMS Castor (details)
- 1794, September 5 - Merchantmen Esther repulses Républicaine
- 1795, January 4 - HMS Blanche captures Pique
- 1795, March 13 - HMS Lively captures the French frigate Tourterelle
- 1796, November 20 - Merchantman Wilding engages a French privateer that blows up during the engagement
- 1796, May 25 - HMS Suffisante captures the privateer Revanche
- 1796, June 6 - HMS Unicorn captures French frigate Tribune
- 1796, November 28 - The slave ship Tarleton repels two different French privateers on the same day, each engagement representing a single-ship action
- 1797, March 13 - HMS Viper captures Nuestra Señora de la Piedad.
- 1797, August 15 - HMS Alexander captures French privateer Coq
- 1797, October - HMS Alexander captures French privateer Epicharis
- 1797, December 22 - HMS Phoebe captures the French frigate Néréide
- 1797, December 27 - HMS Caroline captures the Spanish ship St Raphael
- 1798, January - 11 HMS Racoon captures the French privateer Policrate
- 1798, April 2 - HMS Mars captures the French ship Hercule
- 1798, April 17 - HMS Recovery captures the French privateer Revanche
- 1798, July 4 - French brig Lodi in an inconclusive engagement with the English privateer brig Acquila (probably Eagle)
- 1798, June 21 - His Majesty's packet ship Princess Royal repels the French privateer Avanture.(details)
- 1798, August 7 - HMS Espoir captures the Genoese pirate Liguria
- 1798, October 20 - HMS Racoon captures the French privateer Vigilante
- 1798, December 12 - HMS Perdrix captures the French privateer L'Armée d' Italie
- 1798, February 24 - French frigate Forte captures the East Indiaman Osterley, but then allows her to proceed.
- 1798, March 1 - HMS Sybille captures French frigate Forte.
- 1799, March 18 - HM hired brig Telegraph captures French privateer Hirondelle
- 1799, April 13 - HMS Amaranthe captures the French letter of marque Vengeur.
- 1799, November 23 - Hired cutter Courier captures French privateer Guerrier
- 1799, November 26 - Merchant ship Barton repels attack by a French privateer
- 1799, December 2 HMS Racoon captures French privateer Intrepide
- 1799, December 2 the British merchantman Achilles captures the French privateer corvette Entreprenante
- 1799, December 26 - HMS Viper captures the French privateer Furet
- 1800, March 5 - HMS Phoebe captures the privateer Heureux
- 1800, August 20 - HMS Seine captures the French ship Vengeance
- 1800, October 8 - HMS Gipsy captures the French privateer Quidproquo
- 1800, October - American merchant ship Rebecca repels French privateer Malartic
- 1800, November 11 - East Indiaman Phoenix captures French privateer Malartic.
- 1800, November 13 - HMS Milbrook defeats and drives off the French privateer Bellone
- 1800, October 7 - French privateer Confiance captures British East Indiaman Kent
- 1801, February 19 - HMS Phoebe captures the French frigate Africaine (details)*
- 1801, March 23 — HMS Albatross captures the French privateer Gloire
- 1801, April - British merchantman Union Island repels a Spanish privateer
- 1801, May - French privateer captures the British merchantman Union Island
- 1801, May 6 - HMS Speedy captures Spanish xebec frigate El Gamo
- 1801, August 18 - HMS Guachapin captures Spanish letter of marque Theresa
- 1801, September 25 - HMS Pickle has an inconclusive engagement with a privateer flying the Spanish colors off Hispaniola.
- 1799, February 9 - USS Constellation captures the French frigate L'Insurgente (details)
- 1799, October 24 – Merchantman Washington drives off the French privateer frigate Bellone
- 1800, February 1 - USS Constellation defeats the French frigate La Vengeance (details)
- 1800, October 12 - USS Boston captures the French corvette Berceau (details)
- 1800, October 25 - USS Enterprise captures French privateer Flambeau (details)
- 1803, May 18 - HMS Doris captures the French lugger Affronteur on the first day of the war.
- 1803, July 7 - French privateer Blonde captures the British privateer Young Nicholas
- 1803, July 16 - HMS Racoon captures French brig-corvette Lodi.
- 1803, August 13 - French privateer Bellone captures the East Indiaman Lord Nelson
- 1803, August 17 - HMS Racoon destroys French naval brig Mutine.
- 1803, August 27 - HMS Seagull recaptures the East Indiaman Lord Nelson.
- 1804, February 5 - HMS Eclair engages the 22-gun French privateer Grande Decide.
- 1804, March 21 - French privateer Blonde captures and sinks HMS Wolverine.
- 1804, March 9 - French privateer Grande Decide captures British merchantman Caldicot Castle
- 1804, March 25 or 28 - HMS Hippomenes captures French privateer Egyptienne
- 1804, June 21 - HMS Hippomenes unsuccessfully engages the Guadeloupe privateer Buonaparte.
- 1804, July 15 - French privateer Dame Ambert captures HMS Lilly
- 1804, July 31 - HMS Tartar captures French privateer Hirondelle
- 1804, August 14 – French frigate Poursuivante captures English merchantman Juno
- 1804, August 5 - Merchantman Britannia repels attack by French privateer General Ernouf
- 1804, January 26 - Merchantman Scarborough repels attack by a French privateer
- 1804, September 12 – Policy captures Dutch merchantman Swift
- 1804, December 27 – Slave ship Lord Nelson repels attack by a French privateer
- 1805, February 8 - HMS Curieux captures French privateer Dame Ernouf
- 1805, February 13 - HMS San Fiorenzo captures French frigate Psyche
- 1805, March 10 - Private ship of war Kitty captures the Spanish private ship of war Felicity
- 1805, March 20 - French privateer Général Ernouf explodes during an engagement with HMS Renard
- 1805, July 19 - French frigate Topaze captures HMS Blanche
- 1805, August 10 - HMS Phoenix captures Didon
- 1805, August 16 - HMS Raisonable vs French frigate Topaze
- 1805, November - HMS Wolverine vs HMS Amethyst
- 1805, November 4 - French privateer Creole captures slaver and merchantman Esther
- 1805, November 28 - Inconclusive engagement between the French privateer Bellone and the East Indiaman Admiral Gardner.
- 1806, January 23 - French privateer captures and sinks HMS Unique
- 1806, February 15 - HMS Grenada captures the French letter of marque Princess Murat
- 1806, February - French privateer Hebe captures British merchantman Shipley
- 1806, March 3–4 - French brig Observateur vs. an unknown British post ship
- 1806, May 11 - French ship Abeille captures HMS Alacrity
- 1806, May 14 - HMS Pallas vs French Minerve
- 1806, May 25 - Merchant ship Barton repels attack by French privateer Fairey
- 1806, July 19 - HMS Blanche captures French Guerrière
- 1806, June 21 - French frigate Piémontaise captures the East Indiaman Warren Hastings at
- 1806, October 25 – Spanish privateer mistico Generalísimo captures HM gunboat Hannah
- 1806, October 26 - HMS Pitt captures the French privateer Superbe
- 1806, December 29 - HMS Spitfire captures French privateer Deux Frères
- 1807, January 3 - HMS Pickle captures the French privateer Favorite.
- 1807, April 25 - French privateer Dame Villaret captures Wanstead
- 1807, August 19 - HMS Comus captures the Danish frigate Fredericksvaern.
- 1807, October 1 - British packet ship Windsor Castle captures the French privateer Jeune Richard. (details)
- 1807, October 17 - HMS Superieure captures the French privateer schooner Tape a L’Oeil.
- 1807, December 3 - HMS Curieux has an inconclusive engagement with French privateer Revanche
- 1808, March 2 - HMS Sappho captures Danish privateer Admiral Yawl
- 1808, March 6–8 - HMS San Fiorenzo captures French frigate Piémontaise
- 1808, March 14 - - HDMS Lougen engages in an inconclusive action with HMS Childers
- 1808, May 11 and 12 - HMS Wizard vs French 16-gun brig of war Requin, later captured by HMS Volage
- 1808, June 24 - HMS Salsette captures the Russian cutter Opyt
- 1808, July 5 and 6 - HMS Seahorse captures Turkish frigate Badere Zaffer
- 1808, August 11 - HMS Comet captures French corvette Sylphe
- 1808, September 6 - HMS Recruit vs French corvette Diligente
- 1808, September 29 - French navy corvette Départment-des-Landes captures HMS Maria
- 1808, October 3 - French brig Palinure captures HMS Carnation
- 1809, August 7 - The Liverpool merchantman Lascelles repels an attack by a French privateer
- 1810, January 11 - HMS Scorpion captures French brig Oreste
- 1810, August 10 - His Majesty's Hired armed cutter Queen Charlotte drives off a substantially larger and more heavily armed French vessel.
- 1810, November 1 - The French privateer Spéculateur captures the merchant ship Leander.
- 1811, early - HMS Gleaner captures an Ottoman polacca off Samos
- 1812, July 21 - HMS Sealark captures the French privateer Ville de Caen
- 1812, December 1 - French privateer Sans Souci captures the South Seas whaler Frederick
- 1812, December 1810 – HMS Spy repelled an attack by a French privateer
- 1813, February 7 - HMS Amelia and the French frigate Aréthuse engage in an inconclusive but sanguinary four-hour night battle
- 1813, September 10 - French privateer cutter Renard destroys the schooner HMS Alphea
- 1814, January 6 – the West Indiaman Cambridge repelled an attack by a Carthaginian privateer just outside Havana
- 1814, March 27 - HMS Hebrus captures French frigate Étoile
First Barbary WarEdit
- 1801, August 1 - United States Navy warship USS Enterprise captures Tripolitanian corsair Tripoli near Malta. (details)
War of 1812Edit
- 1807, June 22 Chesapeake–Leopard Affair - HMS Leopard boards USS Chesapeake
- 1811, May 16 Little Belt Affair - USS President fires on HMS Little Belt
- 1812, June 18 - USS Essex captures HMS Alert
- 1812, August 19 - USS Constitution defeats HMS Guerriere
- 1812, August 22 - HMS Barbados defeats US Revenue Cutter James Madison
- 1812, September 8 - French privateer brig Diligent (or Diligente or Diligence) captures the schooner HMS Laura
- 1812, September 16 - American privateer Rossie captures the packet Princess Amelia
- 1812, October 18 - USS Wasp defeats HMS Frolic
- 1812, October 18 - HMS Poictiers defeats USS Wasp
- 1812, October 25 - USS United States captures HMS Macedonian
- 1812, November 22 - HMS Southampton captures USS Vixen
- 1812, December 11 - American privateer Saratoga captures the British letter of marque Rachel in the Battle of La Guaira
- 1812, December 29 - USS Constitution destroys HMS Java
- 1813, January 17 - HMS Narcissus captures USS Viper
- 1813, January 25 - The American privateer Dolphin captures the merchantman Hebe
- 1813, February 24 - USS Hornet defeats HMS Peacock
- 1813, March 11 — HMS Coquette and the American privateer General Armstrong have an inconclusive engagement
- 1813, May 23 - HMS Highflyer vs. Virginia privateer schooner Roger
- 1813, May 28 – USS Georgiana captures the whaler Hector
- 1813, June 1 - HMS Shannon captures USS Chesapeake in the Battle of Boston Harbor
- 1813, June 24 - American privateer Yorktown captures Manchester
- 1813, August 5 - Privateer Decatur captures HMS Dominica
- 1813, August 14 - HMS Pelican captures USS Argus
- 1813, September 5 - USS Enterprise captures HMS Boxer
- 1813, September 23 - USS President captures HMS Highflyer
- 1813, October 22 - US Revenue Cutter Vigilant defeats Canadian privateer Dart
- 1813, December 14 - Sir William Bensley repels an attack by a 20-gun American privateer schooner
- 1813, December 25 - HMS Belvidera captures USS Vixen II
- 1814, January 11 - British merchantman Hibernia drives off the American privateer Comet
- 1814, February - HMS Epervier captures American privateer-brig Alfred
- 1814, February 14 - USS Constitution destroys HMS Pictou
- 1814, March 14 - Hannah repelled an attack by the American privateer Jacob Johns
- 1814, March 28 - HMS Phoebe captures USS Essex in the Battle of Valparaiso
- 1814, April 19 - The American privateer General Armstrong captures the British letter-of-marque Fanny
- 1814, April 20 - HMS Shelburne, with HMS Orpheus approaching, captures USS Frolic
- 1814, April 29 - USS Peacock captures HMS Epervier
- 1814, June 22 - HMS Leander captures USS Rattlesnake
- 1814, June 28 - USS Wasp captures HMS Reindeer
- 1814, July 12 - American privateer Syren captures HMS Landrail
- 1814, July 12 - HMS Medway captures USS Syren
- 1814, August 17 - The transport Atlas repels an attack by the U.S. privateer York
- 1814, September 1 - USS Wasp sinks HMS Avon
- 1814, October 11 - HMS Dispatch defeats US Revenue Cutter Eagle
- 1814, October 11 - American privateer Prince de Neufchatel resists HMS Endymion
- 1815, January 15 - HMS Endymion defeats USS President
- 1815, January 28 - American privateer Surprise captures the British merchantman Star
- 1815, March 23 - USS Hornet captures HMS Penguin
- 1815, June 15 - USS Peacock captures Nautilus, a brig of the Bombay Marine of the East India Company
Argentine War of IndependenceEdit
- 1825, January 25 – Buenos Aires privateer Tupac Amaru (ex-US Regent) captures the Spanish merchantman Triton
Suppression of the slave tradeEdit
- 1828, April 2 - HMS Black Joke captures Providentia
- 1828, May 1 - HMS Black Joke captures Presidenté
- 1829, February 1 - HMS Black Joke captures Almirante
- 1829, June 5 - HMS Pickle captures Voladora
- 1829, June 26 - HMS Monkey captures Midas
- 1830, September 7 - HMS Primrose captures Veloz Passagera (details)
- 1832, June 3 - HMS Speedwell captures the slaver Aquila off Cuba
- 1835, June 15 - USRC Ingham engages the Mexican schooner Montezuma.
- 1836, March 6 - Texas schooner Liberty captures the Mexican schooner Pelicano
- 1836, April 3 - Texas schooner Invincible sinks the Mexican schooner Montezuma.
First Schleswig WarEdit
- 1849, June 27 - Prussian paddle steamer Preussischer Adler duels inconclusively with Danish brig St. Croix off Brusterort
- 1853, November 17 - Russian steam frigate Vladimir captures Turkish/Egyptian steam frigate Pervaz Bahri in the Black Sea (first battle between steamships)
American Civil WarEdit
- 1861, July 18 - USS St. Lawrence sinks privateer Petrel off Charleston, South Carolina
- 1863, January 11 - CSS Alabama sinks USS Hatteras off Galveston Island, Texas
- 1864, June 19 - USS Kearsarge sinks CSS Alabama off Cherbourg, France
- 1864, October 7 - USS Wachusett captures CSS Florida in Bahia Harbour, Brazil
Chincha Islands WarEdit
- 1865, November 26 - Battle of Papudo - Chilean corvette Esmeralda captures Spanish gunboat Virgen de Covadonga
- 1866, August 22 - Spanish frigate Gerona captures Chilean cruiser Pampero. (details)
Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878Edit
- 1877, July 23 - Ottoman central battery ironclad Feth-i Bülend duels inconclusively with Russian auxiliary cruiser Vesta in the Black Sea.
War of the PacificEdit
- 1879, May 21 Battle of Iquique - Peruvian monitor Huáscar sinks Chilean corvette Esmeralda
- 1879, May 21 Battle of Punta Gruesa - Chilean schooner Covadonga defeats Peruvian ironclad Independencia
- 1870, November 7 - French aviso Bouvet fights German gunboat Meteor off Havana
- 1898, April 25 - Spanish gunboat Ligera repulses an attack by American torpedo boat USS Foote (details)
- 1914, March 31 - Huertistas gunboat Guerrero sinks Constitutionalist gunboat Tampico at the Third Battle of Topolobampo
- 1914, June 16 - Huertistas gunboat Guerrero sinks Constitutionalist gunboat Tampico at the Fourth Battle of Topolobampo
World War IEdit
- 1914, August 26 - British cruiser Highflyer defeats German auxiliary cruiser SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse in the Battle of Río de Oro
- 1914, September 9 - British gunboat HMS Dwarf engages German armed yacht Herzogin Elisabeth in an action in the Wouri River
- 1914, September 14 - British armed merchantman HMS Carmania sinks German auxiliary cruiser SMS Cap Trafalgar in an engagement off Trindade Island in the South Atlantic
- 1914, September 16 - British gunboat HMS Dwarf sinks German customs cutter Nachtigal in an action in the Wouri River
- 1914, September 20 - In the Battle of Zanzibar, the German cruiser SMS Königsberg attacks and sinks the British cruiser HMS Pegasus while it is in harbour for repairs.
- 1914, November 9 - HMAS Sydney defeats SMS Emden in the Battle of Cocos.
- 1915, June 2 - - British gunboat HMS Odin damages Ottoman gunboat Marmaris which beaches itself off Amarah in the Tigris River.
- 1915, August 8 - German auxiliary cruiser SMS Meteor sinks British Armed Boarding Steamer Ramsey off Fair Isle
- 1917, February 26 - British gunboat HMS Mantis damages Ottoman gunboat Doğan which runs aground near Al Aziziyah.
- 1917, March 10 - German auxiliary cruiser SMS Möwe sinks New Zealand freighter Otaki but is seriously damaged
Russian Civil WarEdit
- 1920, May 3 - Soviet floating battery Krasnaya Zarya engages French sloop Le Scarpe off Ochakov, damaging her and forcing her surrender.
World War IIEdit
- 1940, November 5 - German heavy cruiser Admiral Scheer sinks convoy escort armed merchant cruiser HMS Jervis Bay in the North Atlantic.
- 1940, November 9 - The Free French aviso Savorgnan de Brazza sinks her sister ship, Vichy French aviso Bougainville, off Libreville
- 1941, February 27 - HMNZS Leander sinks Italian auxiliary cruiser Ramb I in a brief engagement off the Maldives
- 1941, April 4 - German auxiliary cruiser Thor sinks British armed merchant cruiser HMS Voltaire in an engagement 1,200 kilometres (650 nmi) off the Cape Verde islands. (details)
- 1941, May 8 - The British heavy cruiser HMS Cornwall sinks German auxiliary cruiser Pinguin. in an engagement off the Seychelles
- 1941, November 19 - The battle between the Australian light cruiser HMAS Sydney and the German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran near Western Australia results in the loss of both ships.
- 1942, June 6 - German auxiliary cruiser Stier sinks the tanker SS Stanvac Calcutta in the South Atlantic.
- 1942, September 27 - German auxiliary cruiser Stier and American Liberty ship SS Stephen Hopkins sink each other in the South Atlantic.
- 1943, October 31-November 1 - USS Borie and U-405 engage in a pitched battle ending with Borie ramming the submarine. Both ships are lost.
- 1941, July 25 - Ecuadorian gunboat Abdón Calderón duels inconclusively with Peruvian destroyer Almirante Villar off Jambeli
- 1950, June 25 - ROKS Baekdusan sinks a North Korean troop transport
- 1950, September 10 - ROKS PC-703 sinks North Korean minelayer
Sri Lankan Civil WarEdit
- 2003, March 10 - SLNS Sayura sinks LTTE logistic vessel MV Koimer off Mullaitivu
Anti-piracy in SomaliaEdit
- 18 November 2008 - INS Taber sinks the trawler Ekawat Nava 5, which Somali pirates had captured.
- 10 April 2010 - USS Ashland sinks a Somali pirate skiff in a brief action.
- 28 January 2011 - INS Cankarso sinks Somali pirate trawler Prantalay 14 off Minicoy Island. (details)
- 22 March 2011 - HMAS Stuart destroys a Somali pirate skiff being towed by the pirated MV Sinar Kudus.
- 12 May 2011 - USS Stephen W. Groves sinks Somali pirate longliner Jih Chun Tsai 68 in the Indian Ocean off Somalia.
- 12 May 2011 - HDMS Esbern Snare sinks Somali pirate dhow FV NN Iran
- 22 November 2011 - Italian destroyer Andrea Doria duels inconclusively with a Somali pirate skiff.
- 12 January 2012 - Patiño captures a Somali pirate skiff
Anti-piracy in the Gulf of GuineaEdit
- 28 August 2012 - Pirated tanker Centurian fights off a Togolese navy patrol vessel and escapes.
- 19 February 2016 - Nigerian frigate NNS Okpabana captures the pirated tanker Maximus in the Gulf of Guinea in a contested boarding action.
Second Libyan Civil WarEdit
- 6 April 2017 - A Libyan Coast Guard vessel captures a migrant smuggling vessel after an action off Zawiya.
- "No. 16194". The London Gazette. 22 October 1808. pp. 1437–1438.
- "Winona, 1946" (PDF). Cutters, Craft & U.S. Coast Guard Manned Army & Navy Vessels. U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Oakes, Dan (2011-03-26). "Navy takes its first shot at pirates". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2017-06-20.